MPG vs Performance (Yaris) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Registered Member

The scary part is that it looks very similar to the supercharger I am talking about. Honestly can't bring myself to pull the trigger on it as it is nice to have money in the bank.

BLITZ supercharger kit - Yaris - Micro Image - parts and networking for small cars

you can see the 6 bolts that bolt on the intake side of it. instead of the pully the S/C has, yours has a motor.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah money in the bank is a good thing ... although now gold is a better investment . . . Banks are NOT paying enough interest on savings these days, its criminal and leave it there for a year without activity then they hit you with a $5.00 a month fee!

Looks like that kit includes an intake manifold too, gotta hold that beast up with something besides a plastic intake!

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Registered Member

the plastic intake kinda sucks. something they are addressing. There are a few different intake manifolds that different people are working on. most do nothing for topend but fatten the bottom end of the hp curve around the 2.5-5k rpm range. actually a good place to add power.

I have been going the bolt-on route and thus have seen very little gains but they are all cumulative. with intake, header, exhaust, and light crank pulley people are dynoing around 105 (from a baseline of 90) that is actually a pretty big increase given the baseline. I am just thinking of adding more. just having a hard time coming off of that much money for anything. also, I can get a nice older miata for around $4-5k.

my company offers an ESPP (employee stock purchase plan) that I take advantage of. you can put in between 1 and 10 percent of your salary and they do 6 month intervals. at the end of the 6 months, you get the lower price of either the beginning or the end of the 6 months and in addition to that, you get 15% off that. an instant 30% increase. I actually just started with it so I cash out in february. I intend to cash out immediately. I also have a money market that I dump money in. does better than a savings but still not hitting on much nowadays. to an actual investor, my portfolio sucks but the fact that I actually have one says a little about my finances.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Registered Member

Jetta TDI for 5k would be a better investment, but that is just me!
kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Beef have you checked in with ScionLife.com about a used supercharger kit? One of the nice things about that engine and fuel injection system is that it uses a flow sensor and not a map sensor so you can push more air through the engine at lower speeds to build up low and torque and the fuel system should be able to handle it without any adjustment to a point. I had read of a compressed air supercharger that used air from an air tank sprayed with a nozzle into the intake to boost the air pressure a little. Pretty good for a short burst of speed and cheap. You recharge the tank with a little 12 volt compressor.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #16
Registered Member

the miata was just an example but yea, you can buy a car for that amount or a little bit more.

the blitz kits go on sale from time to time and the ones for the xA and xB are the same I think. one of the guys on yarisworld got a killer deal for one at $1600 and I am kicking myself for not getting it but there again, it was used and I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on that kind of investment. they don't come up used very often.

I think you can get away with around 3psi without any type of extra fuel management. a few people have experimented with low boost turbos. they don't make that much power but there is no tuning to worry about.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
Registered Member

Very cool project I like it. I'm a turbo fan myself but I like the idea of a clutch supercharger that comes on only with throttle - very good idea. Not sure if that would work on a big V8 due to the torque on the clutch, but for a small engine - perfect. Definitely go for the freest smoothest flowing exhaust all the way back then see what can be done to over-write/retune the ECU map as that is where you will get good gains from lean burn at cruise.

My 550hp turbo LS1 in a heavy auto sedan has got 9.9L/100km on very poor quality injectors so we are about to swap in EV14 state of art ones and hope to pick up quite a bit er economy.
bazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
Registered Member

actually took care of the exhaust this weekend. after the resonator, it shrinks from 2" down to 1.75 so that was more my focus. I also used a straight through fiberglass filled muffler (not really a glass pack).

Instead of reposting all the pics here, I'll just put a link. I am an active member on yarisworld.

Custom Mandrel bent exhaust - Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

my goal was more of a stealthy look. I am going for sleeper but usually with that you need power...lol

Old 10-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
What is the non-glasspack straight through fiberglass filled muffler?
Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
Registered Member

sorry, I meant more the packaging. it looks like a regular muffler but I guess it is a glass pack. It has a perforated pipe running through it and has fiberglass within it but it looks like a regular muffler. When I think glass pack, I think cherrybomb or something.

here is a page with a cutout of a muffler like mine. not sure if it is the exact one that I have.

Max Flow SS Offset/Center