My 2013 Mazda2 is Averaging 42.5 MPG. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

My 2013 Mazda2 is Averaging 42.5 MPG.

Hello, there. I picked up a 2013 Mazda 2 in August and it's been returning some pretty impressive numbers with just a little bit of hypermiling. The 2's highway rating is criminally underrated at 35 mpg and in my opinion, has made the 2 a poor seller.

In any case, here's what I do to achieve my numbers...

I drive no faster than 60 mpg on the highway.
(I don't draft because I want my car looking new for as long as possible)

Anticipate lights, stop signs, exits, off ramps - anywhere I can coast safely.
(the coast game is huge for me)

Get to fifth gear as quickly and smoothly as possible.
(try and keep the RPMs low)

I don't bother with maintaining/increasing tire pressure (I just can't be arsed), keeping my car free of unnecessary weight (don't keep much in there anyway), or always parking so that I can pull out without having to go into reverse.

I manually calculate my fuel economy (miles driven/gallons). Stop at the first click.

5 days a week, I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic during my morning and afternoon commutes. I live 3 miles from work and am only on the road for about 20 minutes... This kills my fuel economy.

First oil change coming soon. Once the engine is fully broken in (I've read that this happens at the 10-15K mark), I expect my 2 to easily achieve 50 mpg on most highly tanks.

HitlerHairdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/hitlerhairdo/2?fu=4925465

HitlerHairdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #3

I drive like you, but I use a tablet on my visor with a Bluetooth OBI II sensor and the Torque App to refine my driving due to the management system in the mazda's is pretty slick and it actually shuts down the fuel in certain situations that you can take advantage of if you know what it is doing.. I know we drive different model mazdas, but I am guessing that you can even do better. I would definitely increase the PSI on the tires, it does make a difference. Here is a link on my car on fuelly: My Mazda 3 i-Touring Skyactiv (Mazda 3) | Fuelly

Jim
vfrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Agreed. Our Fit is rated at 33 mpg highway, and we are averaging about 38 mpg in mixed driving. If I drive it (as opposed to my wife, who is the daily driver), I get a little over 40 on average. I have had tanks in the high 40s on the highway. Keeping speed under 75 mph is a huge factor in the Fit, due to the short gearing in 5th (it's a stick).
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote