Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #21
Registered Member

that's correct, except for California

jlk16188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
That's crazy, so all the emissions data/tests carried out on new cars are only done once when the car is new basically? I thought the US was strict on emissions and the like?
There are areas/states that require emissions testing but many areas don't have any requirements in place other than to not modify the exhaust from stock. The area I live in has no emissions testing and no safety inspection. You basically can drive anything you want until it wont go anymore. The salt usually takes a toll on the body long before the vehicle is completely worn out though.

The police can give you a ticket if your vehicle is in obvious disrepair such as broken windshield, missing lights, or excessively noisy exhaust. Even then most of the time they don't care. I drove around for 6 months after I hit a deer with a missing grill, left headlight and turn signal, and a big crack across my windshield and never got pulled over.

Matt715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
That's crazy, so all the emissions data/tests carried out on new cars are only done once when the car is new basically? I thought the US was strict on emissions and the like?
Depends on where you are. Where I live vehicles under 25 years old are required to be safety inspected yearly, and emissions inspected every 2 years. Vehicles over 25 years old are considered antique and exempt from the emissions testing.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #24
Registered Member

I guess this helps contribute to the high fatality rates perhaps? Cars that are old and unsafe and not fit for the road etc? The UK gets a lot of critisizm for being a "Nanny" state, health and safety too strict etc, but I guess its all in the interest of public health. They've just bought in a new law here where cars over 50 years old don't need an annual test anymore, but thats mainly because there arent many left, and those that do excist dont do mnay miles.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:11 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk16188 View Post
In PA we dont have smog regulations so ill run it until absolutely necessary.
The counties around Philadelphia and Pittsburgh do. It is checked annually with the safety inspection. But some of the central counties have no testing. Not even the gas cap and visual.

When I lived in NJ, emissions was checked every year. It is now every two, and new cars might not need one for 3 or 4 years.

Don't know about their emissions, but Maryland only requires a safety inspection with transfer of title.

While traveling through South Carolina, we hit a safety check point set up by the cops.

These inspections vary widely between the states.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:49 AM   #26
Registered Member

Results from the OEM O2 sensor are looking good. The weather is changing and getting much colder now than the last few weeks but I have managed to pull 5 tanks in a row over 50 MPG average. I have never been able to achieve this before

Old 10-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #27
Registered Member

I guess thats pretty good for a car in the US, well done.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess thats pretty good for a car in the US, well done.
Yea its pretty good considering we arent as lucky as Europe and dont get the small 1.0 L or the likes diesel motors. All of ours are gasoline or 2+ L engines to haul us around. Average "good" fuel economy cars here normally get around 30-35 MPG
Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #29
Registered Member

Man, that is seriously impressive.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #30
Registered Member

That is great mileage and the hatchback is awesome looking! I tried to find a hatchback in that body style near me for about a year but all of them were either hot rodded out by teenagers or totally trashed, I am jealous. The really nice older Honda hatchbacks left don't get sold by their owners.

Greater mpg is a decent trade off for increased emissions, as there are many benefits to you and our country by using less fuel. 50.4 MPG is excellent, how fast do you usually drive on the highway? BTW that's like 60.5 mpg in UK standards

itripper is offline   Reply With Quote