My FE/Performance Project - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
DRW
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 615
Country: United States
Wow! Great project. My car has several similarities to yours:
I have 7.9:1 compression, pentroof combustion chamber, dished pistons, turbo, programmable ecu with lean burn. I've thought about rebuilding my engine with higher compression, but it's still running so I keep using it as is. I just wish my results were as good as yours.

Have you thought about using beehive valvesprings? They've just become popular in my corner of the tuner world. It seems they allow lower seat pressure, which reduces valvetrain friction, while still keeping the valves from floating or bouncing at high rpm due to the harmonic damping abilities of the variable diameter.
__________________

__________________
Dave W.
DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
DRW
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 615
Country: United States
Oh yeah,
Oil squirters keep pistons cooler so you can run tighter piston clearance. Does your engine alredy have them?
Is there any way you could swap in a taller 5th gear from another drivetrain?
Have you considered using a custom cam with late intake closing to produce a Miller/Atkinson cycle effect?
__________________

__________________
Dave W.
DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Lean Burn Mode
 
pgfpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 401
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
Wow! Great project. My car has several similarities to yours:
I have 7.9:1 compression, pentroof combustion chamber, dished pistons, turbo, programmable ecu with lean burn. I've thought about rebuilding my engine with higher compression, but it's still running so I keep using it as is. I just wish my results were as good as yours.

Have you thought about using beehive valvesprings? They've just become popular in my corner of the tuner world. It seems they allow lower seat pressure, which reduces valvetrain friction, while still keeping the valves from floating or bouncing at high rpm due to the harmonic damping abilities of the variable diameter.
Cool another turbo lean burn mobile. What A/F do you run in lean burn mode?

I had beehive springs on my Turbo 93 Talon AWD. They do work great!!!

Compared to my Talon the Honda spring seat pressure is lower then the Talon's so I stayed with the ZEX springs.
__________________
pgfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
Lean Burn Mode
 
pgfpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 401
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
Oh yeah,
Oil squirters keep pistons cooler so you can run tighter piston clearance. Does your engine alredy have them?
Is there any way you could swap in a taller 5th gear from another drivetrain?
Have you considered using a custom cam with late intake closing to produce a Miller/Atkinson cycle effect?
Unfortunately my Honda doesn't have oil squirters. I'm going to tighten up the clearances next year with the new engine.

I do need a taller 5th gear so i'm going to be swapping in a VX 5th gear.

I'm looking at having a custom cam ground to take advantage of the Miller/Atkinson effect. When I do this I will probably have to increase the compression though?
__________________
pgfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
 
imzjustplayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 720
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
I do need a taller 5th gear so i'm going to be swapping in a VX 5th gear.

I'm looking at having a custom cam ground to take advantage of the Miller/Atkinson effect. When I do this I will probably have to increase the compression though?
Doesn't work that way, you have to swap in the final drive as the gear ratio of gears 1-5 are the same on the DX/LX/VX/CX, the only difference being the final drive.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
DRW
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 615
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Cool another turbo lean burn mobile. What A/F do you run in lean burn mode?

I had beehive springs on my Turbo 93 Talon AWD. They do work great!!!

Compared to my Talon the Honda spring seat pressure is lower then the Talon's so I stayed with the ZEX springs.
I'm not exactly sure of my AF ratio since my wideband only reads up to 18:1
When the car is in lean burn mode the AF ratio varies with load. At medium loads it's around 17.3 to 17.8.
__________________
Dave W.
DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #17
Lean Burn Mode
 
pgfpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 401
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Doesn't work that way, you have to swap in the final drive as the gear ratio of gears 1-5 are the same on the DX/LX/VX/CX, the only difference being the final drive.
My transmission has a .750 5th gear(P20/B000 92-95 Civic Si / 93-95 del Sol Si D16Z6) I'm going to a .702 5th gear(P20/B00 92-95 Civic EX D16Z6.)
They share the same
1st gear 3.25
2nd gear 1.90
3rd gear 1.25
4th gear.909
final gear 4.250 ratios the only difference is the 5th gear .702/.750.

I know its not to much of change but my plans are for only a 5 mph increase at the same rpm using the .702 with a taller tire.(so I can cruise at 65mph freeway speed)

I tried a VX tranny with my engine combination and it actually was a lot worse then with the Si trans.

Now if I had better aero mods I could use the VX transmission at a higher mph and it would probably work very well.
__________________
pgfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #18
Lean Burn Mode
 
pgfpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 401
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
I'm not exactly sure of my AF ratio since my wideband only reads up to 18:1
When the car is in lean burn mode the AF ratio varies with load. At medium loads it's around 17.3 to 17.8.
Thats awesome!!! Its cool to see another person doing their own lean burn turbo setup.
__________________
pgfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #19
Registered Member
 
imzjustplayin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 720
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
My transmission has a .750 5th gear(P20/B000 92-95 Civic Si / 93-95 del Sol Si D16Z6) I'm going to a .702 5th gear(P20/B00 92-95 Civic EX D16Z6.)
They share the same
1st gear 3.25
2nd gear 1.90
3rd gear 1.25
4th gear.909
final gear 4.250 ratios the only difference is the 5th gear .702/.750.

I know its not to much of change but my plans are for only a 5 mph increase at the same rpm using the .702 with a taller tire.(so I can cruise at 65mph freeway speed)

I tried a VX tranny with my engine combination and it actually was a lot worse then with the Si trans.

Now if I had better aero mods I could use the VX transmission at a higher mph and it would probably work very well.
If a VX transmission is too tall, then try the final drive CX transmission from the '96-'00 Civic or the final drive from a M/T HX '96-'00 Civic. You're not going to notice an improvement from .75 to .702. If you're not aware, the HX and CX transmission from a '96-'00 Civic have a final drive of 3.722. This is taller and therefore better than the 4.056 of the DX/LX Civics but not nearly as tall as the 3.25 of the CX/VX Civics of 1992-1995. I'm considering that final drive ratio if I find that the CX/VX transmission that I plan to swap into my Civic is too tall to be driveable, a concern that you seem to have as well. Yes it'd be nice to bring that .75 down to .702 but I think it'd make more sense to change out the final drive as you still have a very short final drive what with that SI transmission and all.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #20
Lean Burn Mode
 
pgfpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 401
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
If a VX transmission is too tall, then try the final drive CX transmission from the '96-'00 Civic or the final drive from a M/T HX '96-'00 Civic. You're not going to notice an improvement from .75 to .702. If you're not aware, the HX and CX transmission from a '96-'00 Civic have a final drive of 3.722. This is taller and therefore better than the 4.056 of the DX/LX Civics but not nearly as tall as the 3.25 of the CX/VX Civics of 1992-1995. I'm considering that final drive ratio if I find that the CX/VX transmission that I plan to swap into my Civic is too tall to be driveable, a concern that you seem to have as well. Yes it'd be nice to bring that .75 down to .702 but I think it'd make more sense to change out the final drive as you still have a very short final drive what with that SI transmission and all.
Something I didn't think about using a HX CX transmission from a '96-'00

Thanks for the info!!!
__________________

__________________
pgfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
higher Octane = Better MPG JBW General Fuel Topics 9 04-04-2012 12:54 AM
1998 Honda Superhawk $2000 OBO cat0020 For Sale 0 10-23-2008 08:42 AM
Anyone hypermile a BMW? JESSE69 Hypermiling 9 06-28-2008 12:29 AM
Rear deflector...posible mpg gains? ZugyNA Aerodynamics 6 01-10-2008 02:40 PM
Happy Birthday Dax! Matt Timion General Discussion (Off-Topic) 0 12-28-2007 03:11 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.