my first 70+ mpg (US) segment - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #21
XFi
Registered Member

Been coasting as much as

Been coasting as much as possible, hope this next tank of mine 'at least' breaks into the low to mid 50s. Disappointing when you can't even make the EPA ratings. Oh well, warm weather is here!

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:46 PM   #22
*shrug*

Ya rly, xfi, I hope I do

Ya rly, xfi, I hope I do good this tank. I got screwed on the fill up cuz it barely graxed the F for like a mile, which is 50-80 less miles throughout the tank then, and it seems to be doing good none the less, my first tank back won't be accurate, :'(

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #23
Registered Member

Re: I'm just trying to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroXFi
I'm just trying to catch up to MetroMPG
---At least the retired numbers---
Wish me luck (and say a prayer)
you don't need luck or prayers - you're already close. you'll be blasting past that car in no time.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #24
Registered Member

Re: i think the moral of the

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
i think the moral of the story is:

"Gentlemen! STOP... YOUR... ENGINES!!!"

(whenever practical while coasting and stopped)
I've meaning to ask. In a world of people rushing around, where exactly do you go "engine-off". I've been trying this more lately, but then traffic bears down on me, and I have to fire it back up to keep the locals from getting restless.

Next, at a long light, I go N and engine-off -- but with the automatic, you have to watch the opposing light, start when it turns yellow, then shift to D after a second or so and things are ready to go. One must not jump the gun, or the transmission gets offended. And by the way, how hard is it to change out a starter?

RH77
Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
i think the moral of the story is:

"Gentlemen! STOP... YOUR... ENGINES!!!"

(whenever practical while coasting and stopped)

And by the way, how hard is it to change out a starter?

RH77
ROFL, I'd seriously leave the engine off feature for manual guys. Not only are you hurting your auto but your starter too.

Why are you still at 30mpg??? I can do the same if I try, but my car has more displacement and a lot more weight. Try some airdonamic stuff.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:41 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Why are you still at 30mpg??? I can do the same if I try, but my car has more displacement and a lot more weight. Try some airdonamic stuff.
You know, excellent question. I've tried an HAI, hotter 'stat, engine block heater, switching to premium to prevent detonation, less-aggressive driving style, Neutral at lights, engine off coasting, etc. I have a powerful engine hooked to an automatic. The latest experiment is an air restrictor (I reduced the air intake down the size of a quarter and noticed almost nothing -- we'll see when the tank is up). Despite the speed limit, I've limited my top speed to 57 mph, unless I'm running late or get crap from passengers.

Kansas City is spread-out over the area the size of L.A. (less population density, of course), but it takes many highway miles to get anywhere. I guess the next step is to chip the ECU, lower the vehicle, and I'm going to have to get new tires soon (out of necessity). The tire purchase will be based purely on economy, but otherwise, the car's drag coefficient is pretty good, but I may block the air dam. It's also windy here a lot.

Bottom line -- no clue as to why I've hit the 30 mpg wall. My best tank was 100% highway at 57 mph -- 48 mpg. I know it's possible. Most Honda drivers here have the efficient D-Series engine designed for low-power, high-economy. I have the B-series which is renowned for high-horsepower, moderate economy. Tricking it otherwise is a tough job.

RH77
Old 03-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #27
Registered Member

I find it that with the

I find it that with the stock intake the car gets better mpg. Did you try to play around with your timing??? That affects a lot.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #28
Registered Member

As soon as we get into that

As soon as we get into that good humid southern summer weather, on one of my days off I will need to take a day trip entirely on lightly traveled rural SC roads and I should be able to blow away any of the tank mileages I have posted so far. My normal tanks include a daily steep drive (35mph in 3rd gear, engine braking all of the way down) up into the NC mountains and lots of night driving (i.e. low temperature, lights on), both of which help to depress mileage.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:11 PM   #29
Registered Member

I want my CX tranny! I am

I want my CX tranny!

I am jealous.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #30
*shrug*

You're starting to kill me,

You're starting to kill me, dan. I will try to get it soon, I swear, the guy hasn't returned my call yet though.

Anyway, I can't pm so, so I saved my thoughts into word. Basically, mx-5 12 pound 14x5.5 wheels for 200 and I'm unsure but will check about the ecu.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote