My first mod: grill block - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

My first mod: grill block

Hi all,
I just did the first modification to my car (European Civic Sport 1.4 i-DSI, modelcode FK1): grill block.
Started yesterday, with 60% up and down to work (approx. 20 miles one way). I noted no difference in FE and engine temps (I made a 30 min recording of engine temp, radiator temp, oil temp and vehicle speed). Board computer average FC did not drop yet, stayed at 5,7 l/100 km.
So today I changed to a 90% block ! But only on Monday I will be able to test this one going to work. The 30 % added block can be removed very easy in case of troubles.
If anybody can tell me how to attach pictures in a thread... I will show you what I did. Especially: where should I upload my pictures to, so I can fill in the link that's asked by the system? Sorry for this question.
My question: does anybody ever made a grill block and experienced no (positive) effect on FE ? Or did you all made gains by grill blocking?
Thanks

i-DSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Hello,

To insert and image to a thread first you have to host it, on photobucket or imageshack. Upload the images you want from your computer to any of those sites and an url link will be added to each image. To place the images in the thread just copy the url's you desire.

To answer your question: I have always experienced positive results due to grill blocking, but you'll have to find out which % of the grill area needs to be blocked. I suppose it's cold now in Belgium, and probably a 90% grill block is fine but keep doing your measures.

KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Karr ! I really didn't know on what site to host photo's. I took Photobucket.
Cold in Belgium? Well not really. Very stormy and rainey, but temperatures will drop from tomorrow on. Today still 10?C, tomorrow morning should be 1?C.
Here's a picture. Hope it works.

If you say you had positive results, do you mean your fuel consumption decreased, even in colder wheater?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:05 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
As I posted in response to your question in another thread, I have not measured any fuel economy improvement from grille blocking. However, I still recommend trying it; it is free, low-risk, and is effective for many people. I do it in the winter just for the quicker warm-up.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

With a pic of grill block!

Thanks Holy Cow. I just now saw and read your reply.
As you see: picture works.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-DSi View Post
If you say you had positive results, do you mean your fuel consumption decreased, even in colder wheater?
Yes, that's what I meant. I've confirmed an improvement on the first tank using grill block. But I must say that by "grill block" I mean that I've blocked the air flow through the radiator, because the block is made inside (the inner part) the front bumper. I haven't made any aerodynamic modification. I think I should be saying "radiator block" instead of "grill block", because they might mean different things, according to what I have read in this forum.
KARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

First results

Drove today to work with the 90% block.
First conclusions:
- the difference with 60% block is HUGE !
- oil temp rose for the first time above 85?C (to 88): good news
- average fuel consumption of this tank went from 5,7 to 5,6 l/100km according to boardcomputer (and tank is 2/3 empty !) on a 2 times 30 km commute: good news
- cooling capacity with 90% block is not sufficient anymore (approx. 6?C outside), I had to turn on the heater 3 times to get rid of >90?C temps of the engine block (I tried to avoid fan activation and succeeded)
- the 90% block makes me nervous because overheating seems possible and I have to watch the temps all the time aftere 20 minutes driving.
- with 60% block radiator temps went only up to 22?C, 90%: >80?C.
=>90% block is only good for less than 20 minutes driving
I will keep you posted about further evolutions and results.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

You'll want to slowly make the hole in the block larger until the risk of overheating has been reduced.

Just take it in little steps at a time, and monitor your progress.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi Jay,
I did as you suggested.
I did not decreased the amound of block, but slided the extra piece of plastic more to one side on the grille (exterior block part). So the airflow comes straight onto the radiator now by a small square hole. See pic:

Result so far:
- For daily commute perfect with 6 to 8?C outside temps (30 to 40 minutes one way mixed roads).
- Had to drive one hour 100% highway: not good, heat keeps on building up and that makes me nervous (94?C engine block and 92 at radiator).
- Oil temps go over 90?C on highway (normal value I think and I never measured before on highway the temps).
- Fuel consumption stayed at 5,6 l/100km, but that's normal as the tank is almost empty now and changing this will be quite impossible. Think it's a good value for winter time.
So when I returned home for another 1 hour highway after only 10 minutes rest for car (still hot !) I removed the extra external block and saw as I expected an enourmous temp drop at radiator side (as if there's no block at all, while I'm still having 60% blocked).
For the moment I will keep the 90% block slided to one side so radiator has cooling. I will prepare an extra second external block to see what fits for longer rides (highway or > 45min trips).
I will keep you informed of further results.
Right now my first impression is possitive as my fuel consumption doesn't increase in winter (1 to 8?C outside).
Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
You'll definitely need to be less aggressive with that. If it's heating up like that on a normal drive, it'll break that one day when you're in an important hurry.