My Q's about selling modded hypermiler - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loserkidwac View Post
when I go look at cars I want something that hasn't been tinkered with, a good clean stock car...
I can't even remember half the crap I've found, woodscrews and drywall anchors holding a carburettor on comes to mind...

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Registered Member

I am a man that likes to have a spare. I'd say to just keep the car. maybe convince the wife to drive it instead of the gas guzzler (depending on what she has to drive).

my cav's next owner will probably own a junk yard. I plan to get as much out of it as I can. she is approaching 12 years old and has 172k+ miles on her. my goal when I got the car was 150k so it is all gravy from here.

I personally have 3 vehicles and no kids (wife is assumed). I am also on the waiting list for a smart which will bring my total to 4 cars. some people think it is crazy but I look at it like this. purpose built cars should be used for their purpose and that will save gas in the long run. I have a truck that is 4 years old and has less than 18K on it. I use it for truck purposes. my wife has an SUV (honda element so not so bad on gas) and we plan to use it for its purpose after we get the smart. she will drive the smart as she does more driving than I do and I will keep the cavalier until it dies a slow death (however it comes) at which time I will inherit the smart and we will go from there. I have also contemplated a scooter but time will tell on that one.

sorry for the book ^^^^^^

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I can't even remember half the crap I've found, woodscrews and drywall anchors holding a carburettor on comes to mind...
Sounds like my Buick... I got it from my sister. She only had the car 3 or 4 months at the time, but her boyfriend at the time fancied himself a mechanic. Strip a bolt or screw out? Don't drill/tap/helicoil it when you can just cram a slightly bigger one in its place... I was so paranoid that when I had the engine replaced I had every bolt authenticated. If it wasn't the right bolt for the hole they made it so the right bolt did fit. That cost me, but was worth it in the long run.

As far as having a spare goes, I'm a single guy and I have 3 vehicles, and provided I find the right deal I'll have a fourth by the end of the year...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
Registered Member

had the same dilemma when i sold my oldsmobile.

we're thinking about selling my wifes 30th anniversary camaro. no problem there 'cause she never let me mod it anyway.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
Registered Member

I'd wait on selling the Camaro.

Wait until the new model is released for retail.... once people start seeing them on the streets I think it will help in the sale of an older model. GM is trying to make the Camaro cool again, ride on that lightning if you can!

Plus... right now Camaro's are basically worthless. It doesn't help that hers is the last year before all the slight variations of '98 either.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I was thinking the other way around for Camaros. Right now they're inflated because the only way to get one is a used one. Once the new ones come out, people will sell off their old ones to buy the new one, increasing the supply far more than the new Camaro drives demand for old ones.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
Registered Member

Wait and see if that new Fast&Furious movie has any Camaros in it. I know Buick Grand Nationals and GNX clones are gonna get more ridiculously priced than they already are.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
Registered Member

project and holycow,

either way we would not let it go unless we got our price. we really love the car, but the price of gas and everything else affected by it is pressing our budget.

if we were able to get our price, i'd like to get a 4 cyl honda accord.

besides, cars.com has a money back guarantee.

BTW, forgot to mention, i sold the olds with the mod(very discrete grill block).
Old 07-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
Registered Member

I don't know why you would sell the Camaro for a 4 cyl. I bet you could achieve a 35+ average considering the aero of the Camaro and that lovely 3.8L (assuming it's not a Z28, which you've never mentioned). Perhaps it would benefit you to find out what rear end is in the car (likely a 3.73 gear.... check for Y87 or G80 in the RPO codes, Y87 will be sport options - stiffer suspension and the 3.73, G80 will be posi-trac) and swap for a 3.23 or 3.08
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
I don't know why you would sell the Camaro for a 4 cyl. I bet you could achieve a 35+ average considering the aero of the Camaro and that lovely 3.8L (assuming it's not a Z28, which you've never mentioned). Perhaps it would benefit you to find out what rear end is in the car (likely a 3.73 gear.... check for Y87 or G80 in the RPO codes, Y87 will be sport options - stiffer suspension and the 3.73, G80 will be posi-trac) and swap for a 3.23 or 3.08
yes 3.8, but 35+, no way! it is driven almost entirely in the city.

but yes, the 1500rpm @ 55mph upon TC lock-up is pretty fantastic on the hwy.