my upcoming VW project - need help! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Talking my upcoming VW project - need help!

Hello, I'm fairly new to this board but I've been reading it quite a bit over the last week or so. I currently drive an '03 Vibe GT and from what (limited) information I can glean from the two tanks I've tracked so far, my mileage is up a bit (not that mine or my wife's driving has been consistent over that week, but it's an improvement, anyway). Thanks for the info!

Now on to my question..we also own a 1990 VW Golf 4-dr hatchback, Wolfsburg, with about 175,000 miles on it. It's a 5 speed manual and, up to a year or so ago, ran great and was well maintained (in fact it was a demo car from my brother's custom audio shop in PA). Unfortunately, we put it on loan to my wife's aunt, and she apparantly really beat it up. From what I understand, it needs a new radiator, two door handles have been snapped off in the cold and it may need some brake work. The clutch might need some attention as well.

So now we have it back, and the way gas is going (up .25 in the last 5 days!?) I've decided to tackle this l'il guy as a project and bring it back up to speed, to get it to its' most effecient. Just thought I'd pose the question to you all to see what steps I might take, beyond the repairs needed, to really tweak it out. I've read the board and I have some ideas, I guess what I'm looking for is anyone with specific experience with these types of cars (VW MK2) who had some advice, or anything I should be concerned with or look out for. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Another question springs to mind..a scangauge will not work on a car this old, correct? What are my alternatives?

Old 05-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Search the forums, there are quite a few threads about SG alternatives for pre-OBDII cars. There's one called something like "Realtime monitoring for Pre-OBDII cars", and various threads about "supermid".
Old 05-25-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Search the forums, there are quite a few threads about SG alternatives for pre-OBDII cars. There's one called something like "Realtime monitoring for Pre-OBDII cars", and various threads about "supermid".
beautiful, thanks!
Old 05-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #5

I've got a diesel MK2 background but the body is the same. Radiator is an easy swap (1 hour tops once you're proficient) and the door handles are easily found pretty cheap as they are common to break.

I'd start out with the normal stuff as far as tuning it up. - Plugs, fuel filter etc. AND GET A BENTLEY! (repair manual)
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote