My VX Fuel Gauge might be inaccurate. Is there a cure? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

My VX Fuel Gauge might be inaccurate. Is there a cure?

Hi there guys.

My VX Fuel Gauge is kinda inaccurate because when it says I am on empty or a little bit below the E, I still have 1.5 gallons left in tank.

I know this, because I have tested this many times. When I go fill up to the point it overflows with gas, The station pump tells me I put about 8.5 gallons, when supposively the tank on this 95 VX is 10 gallons.

Could something be broken somewhere? What should I replace or check or is this normal?

Thank you.!

ThisThingOfOurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Registered Member

Civic fuel gauges of the early 90s generation are notoriously inaccurate, mine included. The fact that the VX doesn't have a fuel light doesn't make it any easier. The more I drive it the more I learn its safe limits fuel-wise.

If there's a fix however, I'd be interested as well.

VXRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:31 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

Most mfr's do this on purpose. There is some reserve capacity in the tank that the gauge does not read. Its supposed to help keep you from running out of gas. On The Beast the manual says it has a 26 gallon tank, however the most I have ever put in it is about 21 gallons. I'm too chicken to try and run it lower. I don't like walking as I regularly travel to areas where the nearest fuel station is 10 miles away.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:44 AM   #4
Registered Member

I don't think I've ever heard of a fuel gauge that's "accurate" in any reasonable sense of the word...

Mine is kinda opposite to that though, when the low fuel light starts flashing on, the needle is at about 1/8 above E, at that point if I refill it, I get about 15.5 gallons in it, and it's supposedly a 15G tank... BUT I also know that even with the fuel light fully lit, there's still about 50 highway miles in it, and it's not sputtering even then, so my 15G nominal tank appears to hold at least 17.5 gallons.

Edit: Oh, if you get a car with a glitchy gauge around midway, it's probably that the previous owner was one of those who put $10 or $20 in at a time, and never ran full tanks. Sometimes just running a few full tanks will deglitch it, but also sticking in some isopropyl alcohol which is used as a contact cleaner can help it.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of a fuel gauge that's "accurate" in any reasonable sense of the word...

Mine is kinda opposite to that though, when the low fuel light starts flashing on, the needle is at about 1/8 above E, at that point if I refill it, I get about 15.5 gallons in it, and it's supposedly a 15G tank... BUT I also know that even with the fuel light fully lit, there's still about 50 highway miles in it, and it's not sputtering even then, so my 15G nominal tank appears to hold at least 17.5 gallons.

Edit: Oh, if you get a car with a glitchy gauge around midway, it's probably that the previous owner was one of those who put $10 or $20 in at a time, and never ran full tanks. Sometimes just running a few full tanks will deglitch it, but also sticking in some isopropyl alcohol which is used as a contact cleaner can help it.
The only car I know of that was that accurate was the 76 Pinto wagon my mother used to have. When mom first got the car she ran out of gas. She used to say when it read E it meant it...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I've never met a fuel gauge any more accurate than that.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Yea my VX was the same way...I think the most i ever put in was 9 gallons and thats after I was on E for a while...I also suggest just stop filling up when the pump shuts off, no need to over fill or over flow the tank

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post

I agree. and I'v had like 15 cars.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Registered Member

Went 98 miles after it hit E. I think it can go another 45 miles. When i filled up i put 12.3 gallons. The manual says it holds 13.7. I put better gas this time(Shell) so i will go until it runs out.
1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
You could install an aftermarket fuel gauge (or a volt gauge). Unfortunately you'd need to install a new float in the tank.

I don't think it's worth it. It's just there to tell you to fill gas and has no bearing on your mpg calculations.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote