my VX gas tank - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #11
Registered Member

dont worry i get oddball tanks everynow and then...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
my last three or four tanks have been "oddball" tanks. Unless my first ones were just flukes. Doesn't make sense tho.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #13
Registered Member

54 mpg is really good! For what it's worth, we should be throwing away our highest and lowest mileage to calc our average anyways. If I remember correctly, you avg your mpg over two fillups for your best run right? I think there are alot of variables here for error when you do that.

I'd say 54mpg is excellent!!

I thought I was doing well during this fillup. I'm almost at the halfway point and my range is currently 220 or so with it slightly above the 1/2 way mark.
About a week ago at the same mark, I was at 280 miles slightly above half so I think I might have a problem breaking 50mpg this time around. I attribute that due to the weekend haul of not drafting on Sat and Sunday like I usually do on workdays.
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #14
Registered Member

good example of why not to get too excited when you stick on widget A and have a small fill up then think you've found a way around the laws of physics.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 AM   #15
Registered Member

hehe, fair enough. Still, 54 seems dismal the way I drive. Ahh well, better than 20 which is what I was getting in my previous vehicle.

Thanks Gary for the encouragement. You do realize I'm getting 1mpg below old highway EPA tho. driving the way I have been I would should think I can do at least 30% better.

I still think there might be something wrong with my car. If some people can get 47mpg at 80mph, surely I can get 65mpg at 40mph!?

Anyway, we'll see if new o2 sensor and new ECU have any helping effect.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I still think there might be something wrong with my car. If some people can get 47mpg at 80mph, surely I can get 65mpg at 40mph!?

Anyway, we'll see if new o2 sensor and new ECU have any helping effect.
Since I've read you do some EOCing with the VX, you might want to just try keeping in in neutral instead. It does take a while for some o2 sensors to heat up again, and I doubt the VX will go back into it's optimal MPG lean-burn mode until it is heated up and reading properly. Maybe that will show an increase in MPG or at least make yours a little more consistent.

Related to the fuel tank....

Yesterday my gauge was reading "E" while driving at a near constant speed on the highway, so I payed the toll, and pulled over and got some gas. MUCH to my surprise only 8.05 gallons filled up the tank, but thankfully, this gave me 48 MPG, very good for my VX! Right now I am at about half and have almost 300 miles on the tank, so I believe the first half of the gauge reads semi-accurately at least, but it seems to me the second half reads much less accurately...probably since they don't want you to run-out and clog up your lines with dirt.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #17
Registered Member

I hit 280 miles at half way so I'm not doing too well this fillup.
When I hit my record 56.12 mpg, I hit about 307 miles before my needle went
below half. I think I'll hit high 40's or low low 50's (if I am lucky).

I blame it on the weekend driving as it was difficult to find any vehicles the
size of semis to draft. And driving at 80mph and having no one in front of me
will not help FE. I see my average going down this fillup so Jacinto (1993CivicVX)
you will edge me out and reclaim your top spot this week on our avg VX FE.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
Since I've read you do some EOCing with the VX, you might want to just try keeping in in neutral instead. It does take a while for some o2 sensors to heat up again, and I doubt the VX will go back into it's optimal MPG lean-burn mode until it is heated up and reading properly. Maybe that will show an increase in MPG or at least make yours a little more consistent.

Related to the fuel tank....

Yesterday my gauge was reading "E" while driving at a near constant speed on the highway, so I payed the toll, and pulled over and got some gas. MUCH to my surprise only 8.05 gallons filled up the tank, but thankfully, this gave me 48 MPG, very good for my VX! Right now I am at about half and have almost 300 miles on the tank, so I believe the first half of the gauge reads semi-accurately at least, but it seems to me the second half reads much less accurately...probably since they don't want you to run-out and clog up your lines with dirt.

yea i noticed that too in both my cars, when tis full i think it takes more engery(bigger bump/weight shift) to slosh the gas around than it would if its near empty.

i know in my car the fuel guage doesnt have any kind of dampner so i was goin around a on ramp and the guage kept peggin at E the whole way around it but once i got goin straight it climbed up to 1/4 tank
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #19
Registered Member

Left turns make it go up, right turns make it go down.

Dan: only did EOC last 100 miles of the tank. When I got 62.6mpg on that 1000+mile "trip" I had done a fair amount of EOC consistently throughout the term. I also set my brakes a few times and did some other gas wasting stuff. No way I was less efficient this tank than that 1026 mile trip. And I have had the same thing happen when fill up at E. 8 gallons. Even below E I've had less than 9. To have 10.5 or 11 is just odd. I almost wonder if filling up before it goes below E might shed some light on the situation. Don't see how tho! Fuel is fuel. If I fill up early shouldn't have any effect on MPG.

Dan, do you drive to save gas? 48mpg is the low end of the old EPA.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #20
Registered Member

Okay, keeping track of my new tank here for all to see....

66.20 miles. I know, I drive a lot. I try to absolve my guilt by getting 50+mpg. Hence why I want to get 60+.

66.20 miles. Gauge still above F line.

Tomorrow I will be installing the o2 sensor and maybe the ECU as well. Dunno how long it will take the mechanic to do both. But I have 40 minute window then I have to go to school.

127.50 miles. Gauge just below F line. o2 sensor installed--throwing a CEL code. But car running smooth as butter now.

Tank roughly at ¾ at 200 miles
Tank hits halfway first time at 250 miles.
Tank goes below halfway first time at 270 miles.
Tank just about to leave halfway at 300 miles.
Tank between 1/3 and ½ at 330 miles.
Tank at about ¼ at 397 miles.