my VX gas tank - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #21
Registered Member

Let me try this again.

If I understand it correctly, you feel the car is still not running as well as it should, even though your getting mid 50's in mileage. You have the oxygen sensor, but you couldn't get the old one out.

If you had trouble getting it out, but you only have 40 minutes for the mechanic to work on it, I wouldn't have him work on it. If he encounters a problem, for any reason, you could end up halfway between here and their, with no wheels.

Their are a couple of things you could try, to get it off. The special wrench is a standard size socket, but it has a slot cut in it for the oxygen sensor wires. You can get the old one off with a long socket, the correct size, by cutting off the wires and then use a box wrench to put the replacement in.

One thing you can try is rev the engine to about 4000 rpm and keep it their for about 5 minutes. The exhaust manifold will get really hot, which will generally make it so the oxygen sensor can be removed without to much difficulty. The other possibility is to use a propane torch with a hot tip, or a acetylene torch, to heat the exhaust manifold red hot, then remove the oxygen sensor.

On the ecu, I would expect that it will be either working or not, but it is unlikely that it is going to be failing on a very marginal level, only. Best of luck to you, in any case.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
huh. Thanks for the advice. I thought about cutting the wires, but I don't want to because I don't know that my oxygen sensor is bad. And seeing as it's the most expensive part in the whole car, I'd rather not! Hopefully the mechanic will be able to do it in a few minutes without any problems. He has 40 minutes to do a 20 minute job. In any event, thanks for the input.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #23
Registered Member

I never had a problem with removing an O2 sensor from a car, even one on a turbo car where the exhaust manifold can start to glow, but then again, I usually am using the right tools.

Jacinto -buy an O2 sensor socket and try to get it off. If you can't take it to the shop. If the sensor is not turning, try tightening it by turning clockwise, then remove it by turning it counterclockwise.
Good luck.
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #24
Registered Member

i actually was tightening it inadverntently at one point. But that was with an adjustable wrench. I think the mechanic will be able to do it this morning. Wombosi picked up an o2 sensor socket wrench just for the job, but it was $40 so I thought it best to return it since the mechanic can probably do it for less.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Left turns make it go up, right turns make it go down.

Dan: only did EOC last 100 miles of the tank. When I got 62.6mpg on that 1000+mile "trip" I had done a fair amount of EOC consistently throughout the term. I also set my brakes a few times and did some other gas wasting stuff. No way I was less efficient this tank than that 1026 mile trip. And I have had the same thing happen when fill up at E. 8 gallons. Even below E I've had less than 9. To have 10.5 or 11 is just odd. I almost wonder if filling up before it goes below E might shed some light on the situation. Don't see how tho! Fuel is fuel. If I fill up early shouldn't have any effect on MPG.

Dan, do you drive to save gas? 48mpg is the low end of the old EPA.
I do attempt to, but the last half tank of gas in my car was the first time I ever drove that way, so since I only cared about half of that tank, I don't think 48mpg was too bad. The first half I probably visited the upper end of the RPM gauge about 10 times a day....haha (I blame curvy roads and a stiff suspension....and me)

For this tank I did a lot of coasting/drafting on the highway, and have been pretty consistent about not going over 2k RPM while driving and I've kept it on or under the speed limit all the time. So if this tank isn't a bunch better than the last, I'm going to have to look to my motor as being something wrong with the lean-burn (something I am hoping I DO NOT have to do).

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #26
Registered Member

Nice. So you are getting good numbers too, then. I just installed my o2 sensor so if my numbers don't go up this tank I will be sad.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #27
Registered Member

Thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one. But perhaps I should have started a new one? I dunno what the forum norms are on things like this. This thread has 26 posts which isn't that many.

Anyway, wanted to post that last fillup I seemed to have gotten even MORE gas into the fill neck or top off or whatever. 80+ miles and it's still above the line! Anyway, maybe this tank I will hit 60? Prolly not with the colder weather. Sub freezing nights will be the norm now.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #28
*shrug*

How's the CEL?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:07 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
How's the CEL?
It's the same. Stays off when engine is hot. But still comes on all other times and have to turn car off when it is hot to get it to stay off. Car is driving fine. I still get very small power "surges" from time to time--but I think at this point it's all normal lean burn behavior. car is nearly running flawlessly now. No more lurching either when I coast at < 1000 rpm in gear. Still haven't installed my ECU, tho, or fixed the high idle.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 AM   #30
Registered Member

Using the "guage" to guess how many gallons you have used is the most innaccurate way to measure mpg. You need to run thru multiple tanks of fuel...at least 5-6...to get a baseline with a small margin of error. You are still over 22&#37; EPA so I would say that you are doing "Good".

2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote