my vx just failed smog - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #21
Registered Member

How about disconnecting the LAF sensor? I know for sure that my VX will run fine with it disconnected and I presume that it will not go into lean burn...

GasSavers_vxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #22
Registered Member

Disconnecting the LAF will cause the cel to come and and put the car in limp mode. Thats what happen to my last smog test.

rx7will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #23
Registered Member

I just passed smog on the vx, i was running out of time with the registration. I made another attempt to keep the ecu from going into lean burn. I failed again, so i just had another cat welded onto the car. I used a Honda Ridgeline cat. I installed a new cat on the Ridgeline because the car ran over a log and it dented the cat. The insurance company wanted it replaced. I kept the old one, the outside was dented but the core was not broken.

If i had more time i think i would have tried a different approach.

I dont notice any difference with two cats on the car.
rx7will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
This scenario would give you high CO. The difference is CO is unburned fuel, HC is partially burned fuel.

I wouldn't blame lean-burn or 12 valve mode being that Honda sold how many VX's and yet they all pass smog? It clearly is not a design problem but a maintenance problem.

Get a valve adjustment. If that doesn't solve it then either your compression is low or you have an ignition problem. If you rebuilt your distributor you still have the same cam/crank sensors. Try another distributor. The Z6 shares the same distributor as the Z1. Perhaps you can find one in a junkyard.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 AM   #25
Registered Member

Just an update- I was experiencing similar symptoms as rx7will (see my post, #18). After replacing plugs, wires, 02 sensor, and cat, I found that my timing was severely retarded (5 deg. BTDC!!!). Set it to the stock 16 deg BTDC, and voila! The low power, hesisation went away and it passed smog without any problems.

I'm loving my VX now. It feels so powerful! Hahaha!
roadsterbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #26
Registered Member

hmmm wow. bad laf here too or i soldered a wire wrong(cheap buttconnected one from egay). hopefully my replacement 1 will do it. additionally i'm going to 2 kitties. An old VX/cx oem cat up by the head & a new cat welded after the B-pipe connection. glad some are passing . mine is federal ecu and jdm d15b Vtec-E. I'll be changing the jdm IM also cuz it looks like a dx/ex IM with a bigger TB for sure. I bet the more air =more fuel even with that 49state ecu. post results after i retest in a few days.
Nden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nden View Post
I'll be changing the jdm IM also cuz it looks like a dx/ex IM with a bigger TB for sure. I bet the more air =more fuel even with that 49state ecu. post results after i retest in a few days.
Why? For more power?

Increasing the air ie load will increase the amount of fuel the car burns but it wont alter the air fuel ratio unless you reach a point in the calibration where it's tuned for a richer mixture.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote