Mythbusters Golf Ball Car - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-23-2009, 02:31 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
A few posts ago, slurp812 said that they controlled for that issue by still having the clay in/on the car before the dimples.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sMILEy View Post
Runners will be wishing for cellulite and acne pocks...

But seriously, I wonder if a thermal roller set up could dimple everyone's favorite prototyping and belly skin material - coroplast? 4x8 sheets could easily be run through a roller press, and the material is thick enough to accept a dimple.
ROFL!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
A few posts ago, slurp812 said that they controlled for that issue by still having the clay in/on the car before the dimples.
Yes, they applied clay smooth. Then ran course. Then using a tool they created, added dimples. This removed some clay of course, which was put back inside the car, so the weight was equal. And ran 2nd run.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #24
Registered Member

Who says it has to be done with dimples? Why not bumps (anti-dimples) or ribs, perpendicular to direction of travel. Just get some Styrofoam chunks, get a hot wire cutter (similar to the tool they used to cut out dimples) and glue them on.

Am I the only one who fully expects to see production cars like this in the (sorta) near future? Man, the industry is gonna throw a fit.

To quote Astronaut Farmer, "Sir, they launched the rocket!"
"No they didn't"
-Becoming the Archetype
thecheese429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecheese429 View Post
Who says it has to be done with dimples? Why not bumps (anti-dimples) or ribs, perpendicular to direction of travel. Just get some Styrofoam chunks, get a hot wire cutter (similar to the tool they used to cut out dimples) and glue them on.

Am I the only one who fully expects to see production cars like this in the (sorta) near future? Man, the industry is gonna throw a fit.

"No they didn't"
That sounds like something worth looking into!
Old 10-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecheese429 View Post

"No they didn't"
Well an fyi, there aren't any golf balls with "anti-dimples" but feel free to try it out! My guess is the reason why is because it increases the overall surface area that is exposed to the air. The point of the dimples I believe is to create a vortex that spins around in the depression, causing the air flowing over to get agitated. Watch the mythbuster's episode with the tailgate up or down, it's the same idea. But again, feel free to experiment and post back with your results.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Well an fyi, there aren't any golf balls with "anti-dimples" but feel free to try it out! My guess is the reason why is because it increases the overall surface area that is exposed to the air. The point of the dimples I believe is to create a vortex that spins around in the depression, causing the air flowing over to get agitated. Watch the mythbuster's episode with the tailgate up or down, it's the same idea. But again, feel free to experiment and post back with your results.
I might actually be willing to try ribs going up and down (and side to side on the top) if I had the right material. Maybe foam rubber? I could just try it out with cardboard or PVC pipes, but I would need a good road trip to try ABA testing.
-Becoming the Archetype
thecheese429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
ANYONE wonder if the repeated driving may have improved the car mileage and it has little to do with the dimples but actually the car running more at 65mph and getting warmed up or maybe loosened up from driving. Maybe they should have done the old ABA test to verify that without dimples then with dimples and then again without dimples yields consistant results. I know that on occasion my xB when run and then stopped for several minutes then started and run again gets way better gas mileage for some unknown reason.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #29

Everyone is a critic. Watch the video. The evidence speaks for itself.
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=PMB935S8
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:45 AM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
hey what was that??? 3 popup ads no video?

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote