"nanosolar" thin film cheap solar panels. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

"nanosolar" thin film cheap solar panels.

http://www.nanosolar.com

This company claims to produce a cheap "film" like solar panels in 2006. I do not know its efficiency as compared to traditional solar panels but due to its flexible and cheap nature i think it can be used in order to cover the "roof" of the car in order to get some tiny watts to aid in recharging the car's battery.
What do you think ?

Capcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:19 AM   #2
Driving on E

Re: "nanosolar" thin film cheap solar panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capcom
www.nanosolar.com

This company claims to produce a cheap "film" like solar panels in 2006. I do not know its efficiency as compared to traditional solar panels but due to its flexible and cheap nature i think it can be used in order to cover the "roof" of the car in order to get some tiny watts to aid in recharging the car's battery.
What do you think ?
I saw this in Popular Mechanics a few weeks ago. I'm personally excited for this product.

With cheap solar panels like this the reality of solar cars will be closer. It will also help make solar powered homes more viable. The biggest obsticle for solar in the past has been the price and size of the panels. It just didn't pay off. Now it may.

I would like to get a small pick up truck and make it solar. Put the batteries in the bed and then get a bed topper for the bed as well. Put these chceap solar panels on the top of the bed and recharge the battery that way.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

you should get an old

you should get an old Datsun, they're small and the nostalgia is still there. Otherise another small pickup would be the old VW rabbit truck, really, really small.
chesspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #4

Re: you should get an old

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesspirate
you should get an old Datsun, they're small and the nostalgia is still there. Otherise another small pickup would be the old VW rabbit truck, really, really small.
Are you talking about the VW Caddy? My uncle has one [1981] with a 94 Passat motor in it - it rips!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
*shrug*

Hell, VW Rabbit Caddy would

Hell, VW Rabbit Caddy would make a good solar/gas hybrid, the little 48 hp diesel in there gets pretty good mileage as it is. High 40s if you know what you're doing.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

A guy named Ovshinsky? in

A guy named Ovshinsky? in the midwest discovered these in the 80s. They are called amorphous solar cells, and weren't as efficent as the solid crystal cells, and were more expensive. They are made from a technology similar to the one that will make flexible computer screens, which will be a reusable substitute for paper.
CruiseControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
*shrug*

This reminds me of the Man

This reminds me of the Man with the Golden Gun when the solar panels unfold and the nutsy dude blows up Bond's car...

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote