Need ideas to make my VX more visible on the Interstate - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Registered Member

Their does seem to be a far greater tendency for trucks and SUV's to drive as if I was not their, when I'm driving my Honda Wagon. I think it stems, from the fact that they can see over the top, so their is some sort of unconscious mental process where they figure they can see over me, so they will drive as if I'm not their. Unfortunately, their also seems to be more aggressiveness in their driving style, I presume because they feel impervious because of the size or height of the vehicle.

In any case, I try to make staying out of their way a higher priority than anything I might be doing to save fuel. I don't think the fuel savings is worth the risk, particularly since most of the risk is to me, but it is in their control.

What I'd like to do is have a top mounted to my car, with a aiming/targeting system and some rockets. Then when someone gets up close I could just enable the targeting system and let them see the nose of the rocket targeting them.

Unfortunately, I think this would probably lead to more problems and risk. I do think I am going to modify my car so that it has the low beams and indicator lights on during the daytime, just so their is a little higher likelihood that they will notice me.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Registered Member

To holycow.

I'm not a hypermiler - all I want to do is a steady 60 to 62 mph - no P&G or EOC or any of that stuff - my vacuum actuated cruise control works great at this velocity because engine vacuum is near its minimum (20 in.). I am not going 50 mph uphill - 60 mph is my minimum speed and 63 mph is the top end.

As to blocking traffic -- what's wrong with sharing a six lane interstate at 6:15 in the morning (three lanes in each direction) ??? Traffic is not heavy at that hour. I never get out of the far right lane. I let incoming traffic merge onto the highway by slowing down for them. What the 'f' else do those selfish babies on the road expect from me, huh?

If I was doing this on a four lane highway, that would be more disruptive and selfish on my part. And - I would never do it on a two lane road.

So there.

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
What I'd like to do is have a top mounted to my car, with a aiming/targeting system and some rockets. Then when someone gets up close I could just enable the targeting system and let them see the nose of the rocket targeting them.
Sunroof.... empty coffee cups...muhuhahahaaaaa
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Registered Member

Stick some antifreeze mix in a spray jug and give them a shot. It doesnt clean off their windshiedl easily.

Roll over to the edge of the road and sandblast their windshield with the rubble on the edge.

regards
gary
Old 05-17-2008, 04:01 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
No it's a very fast pulse rate, not discernible flashes. It's legal above a certain pulse rate, not sure the details. Makes them flicker rapidly, like seeing a TV screen out of the corner of your eye.
So that is what is happening when I see those motorcycles doing that!

I always thought their magneto was on it's way out, lol.
I too thought it was either something wrong with the electrical system or bad suspension causing the bike to bounce. I hate seeing that, it's almost as bad as glare to me, I can't look away from it and properly divide my attention.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:02 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Sunroof.... empty coffee cups...muhuhahahaaaaa
Full coffee cups.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #17
Registered Member

with recycled coffee? ewwww.

I noticed about a month ago, that I wasn't getting tailgated any more...
Then I noticed spots on my driveway...
Then I realised a transmission cooler hose was spraying...

Yeah I fixed it
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:50 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
Another close call today on the Interstate and it's only the fourth day of my new slow gas saving speed of 60 to 62 mph!

I was poking along I-96 in the far right lane at 0615 this morning (my part of the earth had rotated enough to face the sun by this time so it wasn't dark) and a large pickup - F250 or F350 came into the far right lane to pass someone in the middle lane and WHOA - WTF - there's a "little red car" in my way. The driver adjusted quickly and passed me too close for my comfort. Part of it is that my VX is only 51 inches tall. I don't think the truck saw me right away when he came over a very modest rise and almost ran into me. He was going at least 80+ mph.

I want to increase my visibility somehow by placing a CB antenna or something like it on the roof to artificially increase the VX's height. I don't want to create any drag though so I wonder what kind of flag or signal I could stick on the roof to be more visible. Hazard flashers are too extreme (at least for now). I just got 51 mpg this week (but at what cost!!!!!!).

Ideas?????

Last night I put a gas grill on my roof and did my normal slow put up the interstate. People gave me a much wider berth than usual.

Actually antennae with leds at the end are a really good idea. One of the "hot rod shops" that really only sell shift knobs and skull shaped tire valve caps online would probably have them. I know they have leds for windshield wipers and other silly stuff.

I'd probably be cheaper to make your own.

Just think how cool it'd look to have 2 deep sea rod and reels in trolling mounts on your back bumper. Priceless.

(I'm actually nutty enough to do it)

"If you want to save gas I suggest you permanently remove the drivers seat and steering wheel. That seems to help." -Oscar Halverson

oneinchsidehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #19
Registered Member

Odd, when I have terribly secured loads (accidental; I usually secure well) in my truck that look like they're going to jump out at any time, people tailgate me. I guess they think because it's in a truck, I couldn't possibly have made a mistake while securing it.

I love the fishing rod idea!
Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 AM   #20
Registered Member

A couple days ago I was in the left lane and an SUV was in the right a little in front on a 40 mph street. The SUV Slowed to turn off and a motorcycle pulled out of the same street the SUV was pulling into. I am sure the motorcyclist never saw me. I thought it was going to be a head on for a second but the motorcyclist managed to hold up and I missed him by a a foot or two. It looked pretty ugly for a split second. This is kind of the other way around but my little Saturn must be hard to see too.