Need some quick advice about a VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-01-2007, 05:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Need some quick advice about a VX

If this is not the right area for this please move.

I found a local VX, but it's been "modified". Engine is stock but it has a 99 Si front enf conversion. What do you guys think about that? Would that have a negative effect of fuel economy? Maybe even added weight? Please let me know what you guys think of this one. I might go look at it soon. Price is a little high. What would you guys offer? Thanks a bunch!

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/376423210.html

Old 08-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Well, it is a good candidate for an upper grill block and for lowering the car. I personally would very closely look at the front radiator support and check to make sure it is properly welded in and not just bolted in. The 99 front may add some weight but shouldn't affect aero too badly. If it truly is the stock motor and there isn't the usual rust on the rear quarter, along with the O2 being good, it's not a bad price.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, got another one.

http://houston.craigslist.org/car/385378434.html

Looks near perfect to me. That spoiler could probably come off. And the hood, though carbon fiber and a good deal lighter, looks like it's not as smooth as the stock (cooling cutouts maybe). Not sure if he still has the original tires/wheels. Also would need to be replaced if not. Inside looks great though, and engine all stock (low miles even). Again, any input appreciated. I'll let you guys know if I hear back from the guy.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
Driving on E

the white one looks nice... and is cheaper. I think the hood might just be painted black and not actually carbon fiber. COuld be wrong though.

Anyway, you can get a set of VX rims and wheels pretty cheap if you look around.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
people don't normaly do things like front end swaps for the fun of it, I bet that first car, the red one, was crashed, so I would look really really close at it befor offering them any money, and buy it as a repaired reck.
the white car looks nice, but I would ask them about the car coming with stock parts, and if they don't have them then knock the price of them off your offer, I alwas question a car that has modifications, as teenagers are the most likely to modify a car, and they are also the most likely to abuse it, the last VX I looked at hardly ran, had about 5psi of air in the tires, but it had aftermarket head light, and tail lights, and the guy selling it looked to be the type to drive a car hard, and not take care of it.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I've pretty much ruled out the first one with the front end conversion. I was reading on another site about the '96-'00 having a larger frontal area than the '92-'95. No reason to pay more for something that will probably make it less fuel efficient.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The second link isn't working for me as of 11:10 CDT. And getting VX rims isn't too hard (I have a set of two for sale shortly, shh). It is hard to find an unmolested one though as the VX is also sought after by drag racers and ricers, lol.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Registered Member

The link works for me now, but maybe because it's cached? Still haven't heard back from either guy. You'd think people wanting to sell their cars would be a little more motivated.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/386505864.html

I went and checked out this one today. The guy was really nice, but the car needed a lot of work to get it where I want it. It's pretty driveable (except for the transmission problems) but there's lot's of little things missing or messed up here and there. He has another VX you can see in the pic (he has two, not fair) which he's been transferring all the good parts to. So the maroon one is basically his parts car with all the missing or undesirable pieces. I think I'm going to hold off on this one. Most I'd offer is $1,000, but even then is somewhat of a project car and I'd really like to not have to deal with that. Tranny swap is $389 plus the tranny, needs A/C compressor, missing or "upgraded" little things here and there (like ricer exhaust), and I'd get a new paint job for it. It's really going to add up. Even though it's close, I just don't think it's worth my time. What do you guys think?