New chevy Cruze - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2008, 03:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

New chevy Cruze

Hey all,
I work for General motors and i plan on getting the new chevy cruze which is rated at 45 mpg stock!! It uses a 1.4 liter DOHC four cylinder turbo charged engine with a six speed trans mission. I am for sure going to try to eco mod it to get up to 55 mpg is my goal... can any of you give me advice on where to start...

Please no comments saying "well you can start by not getting a chevy" lol i got that some where else

Email me with advice morgan.696@osu.edu

Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Registered Member

yea, chevys are crap lol.

seriously though, I would start with a grill block and possibly a warm air intake. definitely install a scangauge. you can find them at jcwhitney of all places now.

does it come with an onboard MPG meter? also i am assuming that it is a gas engine and not diesel. there was another thread about this and I can't remember what it said. also, aren't they not coming out until 2010? you have a pretty long wait don't you?

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
DRW
Registered Member

I like to start by learning more about how it works. Is the Cruze out yet? Got a link?

I guess you could do the basic, proven mods, like overinflating the tires, grillblock, lightweight synthetic oil in the engine and trans, and basic driving techniques like reduced idle time, shift at low rpm, drive slow.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
yea, chevys are crap lol.

seriously though, I would start with a grill block and possibly a warm air intake. definitely install a scangauge. you can find them at jcwhitney of all places now.

does it come with an onboard MPG meter? also i am assuming that it is a gas engine and not diesel. there was another thread about this and I can't remember what it said. also, aren't they not coming out until 2010? you have a pretty long wait don't you?
I think it probably will have an on board gauge so i wont have to worry about that and We(GM) are trying to push it out as early as summer 09
Old 08-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW View Post
I like to start by learning more about how it works. Is the Cruze out yet? Got a link?

I guess you could do the basic, proven mods, like overinflating the tires, grillblock, lightweight synthetic oil in the engine and trans, and basic driving techniques like reduced idle time, shift at low rpm, drive slow.
Cruze isnt out yet i heard some specs but the best link so far even though the picture is not current is http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...olet-cruze.htm
Old 08-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Welcome. We do have a large Honda fan base here, but they're relatively less rabid than on other forums. We've also got a surprisingly large percentage of GM fans.

It should be easy to get 55mpg from the car if it's rated 45mpg. That's only ~20% improvement. I used to beat the EPA by more than 20% without any modifications and without trying to use any hypermiling strategies.

What is your job with GM? Got any technical info about the car? Gear ratios, torque at low RPM, etc?

Also, keep in mind that it's generally considered a little rude to ask people on a forum, mailing list, or discussion group to email you. It's expected to be an open discussion where people can easily post a reply, and later others can find the discussion to learn from it.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzedriver View Post
Hey all,
I work for General motors and i plan on getting the new chevy cruze which is rated at 45 mpg stock!! It uses a 1.4 liter DOHC four cylinder turbo charged engine with a six speed trans mission. I am for sure going to try to eco mod it to get up to 55 mpg is my goal... can any of you give me advice on where to start...

Please no comments saying "well you can start by not getting a chevy" lol i got that some where else

Email me with advice morgan.696@osu.edu
Why are you posting inside information from your employer without permission? Are you trying to get fired/sued? Probably not a good idea to also include your personal email address.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

cruzedriver,

I would still get the scangauge because it does so many other things and tells you so many other things other than just mileage. I will be in the market for another gas savvy car by somewhere in that time frame so I may be looking into it myself as long as it is descently priced.

if you get time, check out www.scangauge.com and read up on the scangauge. many of us around here swear by it as long as your vehicle is 1996 or newer.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Why are you posting inside information from your employer without permission? Are you trying to get fired/sued? Probably not a good idea to also include your personal email address.
My interpretation of the first post is to spread the news about the Cruze. The info that was posted has already been released to the media, so it's not exactly insider info. I might consider it to be spam, except I'm interested in cars like this. It has good FE potential with a small turbocharged direct injection engine mated to a 6 speed trans. Wether or not it lives up to it's potential is another story. How about adding variable intake cam timing and give it a semi-atkinson cycle during cruise? Yep, I want it all!
Since gas prices are not stable, there's no telling what consumers will want by the 2010 model year. Better stick to a platform that can be adapted to a changine market. Which reminds me, GM made a good move by developing the XFE version of the Cobalt. The Cobalt SS has excellent power and handling, while the XFE is cheap and gets great FE. Keep that sort of capability/ flexibility in the new Delta 2 platform and GM should be able to react to whatever the market becomes.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #10

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/21/g...1-chevy-cruze/

dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote