New "High Mileage" category? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

New "High Mileage" category?

Being of a competitive nature, I'm discouraged to be hovering around the mid teens for placement on the mileage list. There's no way I can get the mileage that some of you get as I drive about 70 miles every day to work. There's no way I can coast for 35 miles to work and get there on time! You urban travelers seem to have the advantage for posting high numbers as you can spend a good deal of time coasting.

I still seem to be doing well as I have no instrumentation and have averaged about 53 mpg for my last 3 tanks! (Around 48 mpg for 13,000 miles)

I propose that there be a category for those that travel over a 1000 miles a month. It's easy to go out and hypermile a "few" miles and produce awesome numbers.....

(I realize this probably won't happen, but you can't blame me for trying!)

Old 06-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Registered Member

Why not leave earlier?

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Being of a competitive nature, I'm discouraged to be hovering around the mid teens for placement on the mileage list. There's no way I can get the mileage that some of you get as I drive about 70 miles every day to work. There's no way I can coast for 35 miles to work and get there on time! You urban travelers seem to have the advantage for posting high numbers as you can spend a good deal of time coasting.

I still seem to be doing well as I have no instrumentation and have averaged about 53 mpg for my last 3 tanks! (Around 48 mpg for 13,000 miles)

I propose that there be a category for those that travel over a 1000 miles a month. It's easy to go out and hypermile a "few" miles and produce awesome numbers.....

(I realize this probably won't happen, but you can't blame me for trying!)
Also, how about a category focused on % above EPA for those of us starting with low MPG vehicles that realistically don't have a chance at 40mpg or higher? Also, maybe one for those who can't use a scangague or supermid?

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Why not leave earlier?
Sleep?

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

Old 06-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanengen View Post
Also, how about a category focused on % above EPA for those of us starting with low MPG vehicles that realistically don't have a chance at 40mpg or higher?
Lower left hand corner.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Ahhh (looking stupid)...

Old 06-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

I drive well over 1k miles per month. I do alot of long distance driving for work and for demonstrations. I have no trouble getting great mileage.

I do think that it would be cool to have different ratings for how high above EPA one gets like they do on cleanmpg.com. Everyone over 20% is a hyermiler here while people like COZX2 are over 200% above EPA.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

As for leaving earlier, I already get up at 4:45 AM

I'm not complaining about my MPG, I just can't compete with the urban hypermilers.....

I think the general population would be more impressed/relate with those that travel long distance and get good mpg, than all those short distance fanatical hypermilers (I wish I had a short commute............)
Old 06-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Team GasMisers5!

Note - everyone should put *all* the gas/petrol they use onto their gaslog - otherwise the results would be skewed (I would be at 80MPGus now for example)

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #10
*shrug*

I get much better mileage on the open road then I do in town, so I guess this would work out well for me,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote