New High MPG Vehicles - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
Team GasMisers5!

New High MPG Vehicles

Wow! Who owns the two new very high MPG vehicles. 'SAE Mechanical Advantage' managed to get over 1000MPG, despite having such a huge frontal area!

Assuming that the mass was 190kg, the frontal area 1.0, and it was using LRR tyres of 0.006, then it might get this mileage if travelling at under 10mph all the time, with perfect hypermiling techniques.

I wonder how long these vehicles will stay at the top of the charts........

Edit - 'Biomass Convertor' belongs to Snax, and is actually a footbike, so although it may get removed, is not an obvious attempt to skew the MPG figures.

Anyone know who owns 'SAE mechanical advantage'? (look at the gaslog for some funny entries!)

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 AM   #2
Team GasMisers5!

88HF owns the 1880 penny farthing then!. Still not as good as my 10,000MPG Nissan Micra I've stripped the weight down to 15Kg, and I only drive at 1MPH, which is how I get such a good Fuel Economy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loloneone.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	625  

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Hypomiler
Old 07-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
...'Biomass Convertor' belongs to Snax, and is actually a footbike, so although it may get removed...
Fish's moped is also a footbike, so thats two entries that should be removed. Not sure what to do with BioMass entry. Will someone tell CO to please fix his mileage numbers. Looks like he put wrong number in gal column or put his gallons number in the price column.
Still good attempts for both users. I wouldnt mind any one of those vehicles (or as some may call them, 'transportation devices')

Snax, why do you have Trek 3300 listed as your model? Is a part of the frame from a Trek??

Edit: sent PM to CO
GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
Team GasMisers5!

Fish's moped might be considered, but a debate would have to occur (noting, it does have a gasoline engine). This is a valid vehicle.

The BioMass entry is obviously a joke (or, if not, I will put my pedal bike on too, which is more efficent than the BioMass bike). The 'SAE Mechanical Advantage' is also obviously a joke (but quite well photoshopped!).

The real question is, who said 'You don't have to sacrifice performance for FE'?. Because, the description for SAE Mechanical Advantage states that, and the whole 'vehicle' appears to be a dig at someone on this board - but I can't remember who said that.

Anyway, 'Troll Car' is now the king of the board, and will remain so until all other vehicles in the top ten are 'proper' vehicles.

Or until the Mods delete it (which I am more than happy for), as they will delete the joke cars too

Hypomiler
Old 07-19-2007, 08:00 AM   #5

I still think we need more categories. More than the 4 we have now. That way we can stick anything we want in the gas log. I asked for an other category before so I could stick my 2006 Yamaha Wolverine ATV that is getting 32mpg right now in. I guess a hybrid motorcycle category might be useful. Can't really think of any others to add but I am sure there are.

I think the 'other' category, when created, would be better not showing up in the front page top 10 since it is hard to say what kind of strange things might be in there but I guess that could be debatable.

I have no idea how hard it would be to add another vehicle category but it might help with some of the stranger things people on this board have and drive.
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
I still think we need more categories. ...
I think the 'other' category, when created, would be better not showing up in the front page top 10 since it is hard to say what kind of strange things might be in there.....

I think that all cars on the top ten list should be cars that are highway capable. A gas powered bike is really cool (I wish I had one, really) but it diminishes the hard work and effort that others have made in makeing that top ten. I feel bad for the 9th and 10th spot that probably take a lot of pride in making that list. We should have a separate category for these alternate modes of transport.
I joined this site to see how I can reasonably and legally increase FE on my car which is driven daily. One of our users has a hangglider (or st least a pic of someone using one), yet I dont see that on the top ten list. It can prob go as fast as some gas powered scooter and MAYBE (I dont know the capabilities of these) fast enough for 50mph highway, but I dont see that user making garage entries for that. Hey, I just remembered. I ran the NYC marathon 3 times in my Nike Air Max, which cost $140. Best money Ive ever spent. I think I'll throw those in the garage and make an entry for those as well. Haha CO, I finally beat you !!!
GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
Team GasMisers5!

Troll car is at 1MPG just now - the picture is pretty cool though

Hypomiler
Old 07-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Registered Member

I could throw my lawnmower in the back of my wagon, that way the mower gets a zillion mpg...

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote