New Hyundai Accent GS 3dr 5spd - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
Got my first couple hundred miles on the car. Filled up today and first tank, utilizing conservative driving, gave me 36mpg. Not the best, but should improve with driving habits and break in. One thing that this vehicle lacks is a decent overdrive ratio. At 60mph I am taching a hair under 3,000 rpms. Only other comment is a notchy trans when shifting. Besides those two items, Its a most enjoyable ride. Very quiet, smooth over bumps (even with tires at 50psi), handles good, excellent warranty and the price was right. I don't know that I will be able to compete with the Yaris in mpg, but I will give it my best!

Hey roadrunner, or any other Yaris owner, what rpm are you running at 60mph in 5th?
I think that this is the one item that may limit my highway mpgs in the Accent.
It will do better. If Im getting what I can get in a 2.3L Mazda3 on the hwy. You will blow my doors off mpg wise. With load driving, and fas. Im in the lower 40's no problem. The MZ3 is turning 2600 rpm at 57 mph or so. Its a shame. Cause the Mazda has enough butt to pull a OD gear no problem.

psy

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #22

Good job on selecting an Accent. I said a while back I test drove an Accent but the color I wanted was special order (green) and they wanted to give me half of what I eventually sold my Insight for.

At the same time I went down and drove a Yaris and I actually liked the Accent better. This was only because the Accent had an armrest and the Yaris didn't (I've learned an add-on armrest can be bought at the dealer). The Accent was more refined though I was used to driving an Insight at the time and I think I wouldn't of been able to tell the difference between a skateboard and a go-cart; much less a Yaris & Accent.

Hyundai has come a long way - honestly, I've owned MANY MANY MANY MANY cars and Hyundai is up there with being the most reliable of the group I've had.

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:35 AM   #23
Registered Member

I too have an Accent 3Dr, but mine is (the much cooler looking) 2002.... I like the new version (designated MC body-style) quite a bit, but love the LC1 (2000-2002) a WHOLE lot in 3dr. For some reason, EPA lists milage ratings at 28/36/31, but I THINK my window sticker was more like 32/38/34... I am going to dig that out.

Anyway, my car has been EXCELLENT. I have 140,000 miles on it, and the only tihng I've ever had a problem with was a burnt out headlight @ 2000 miles. I paid the extra for the 100,000 warranty and never needed it. I have had semi-regular tuneups (by myself) including 2 sets of plug wires, but the second was only to replace the cheap first set I used. I also had the water pump/timing belt replaced @ 116,000, and the idiots who did it did not seal it correctly, so I leak a little bit of water. I will be having this job redone soon.

Oh, and I also need valve seals, but I attribute this to 2 seasons of autocrossing in this car, driving it around at 5000-7000 RPM for semi long stints. btw, it was an EXCELLENT autocross car, I was hanging with some EXTREMELY excellent drivers in Indianapolis, both of which were/are national champions, and I'm not that great of a driver.

I hope you like it, and hope you get better MPG ratings then Hyundai thinks you will.
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #24
XFi
Registered Member

36 Mpg

Got my second fill in... 353.8mi / 9.797gal = 36.11 mpg. (1st was 36.33mpg)

Seems like the previous generation Accents may have me edged out...

Just got my Scangauge II in the mail today. Haven't had time to fool around with it yet, but that should prove useful.

Won't be around for a week, due to our Disney Trip!

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #25
Registered Member

Nice to see you well above EPA on a squeaky new drivetrain though - not even broken in. Enjoy the trip!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:39 AM   #26
XFi
Registered Member

Back from Disney!!! What a great trip. Really especially enjoyed Epcot and MGM. Going to drive out to West Virginia and Pittsburg this week. I expect an improvement due to the car 'breaking in' and utilizing the ScanGauge II. The ScanGauge really keeps your attention on fuel economy (helps with my short attention span ).

Old 08-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #27
XFi
Registered Member

2mpg more w/Scan Gauge

Just had my 1st tank with the ScanGauge. I improved 2mpg...up to 38mpg. I know drafting is not an improved sport , but I notice a substantial difference on the highway when I am behind a truck!

The Accent coasts awesome! I have been utilizing Engine ON Coasting when possible. Plan on getting these HUGE mirrors off soon for improved Aero.

Also, I want to look into a fuel injector cut off. I will search some old posts, but any suggestions on a clean way of doing this?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #28
Registered Member

Injector shutoff switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi View Post
Just had my 1st tank with the ScanGauge. I improved 2mpg...up to 38mpg. I know drafting is not an improved sport , but I notice a substantial difference on the highway when I am behind a truck!

The Accent coasts awesome! I have been utilizing Engine ON Coasting when possible. Plan on getting these HUGE mirrors off soon for improved Aero.

Also, I want to look into a fuel injector cut off. I will search some old posts, but any suggestions on a clean way of doing this?
Xfi, neat looking machine. How many $$$. PM mailing address for Cowboy CD it has just earned you.

I will try to help with injector shutoff. I have seen this setup used on Ford, GM, Saturn, Chrysler and Honda, seem to all be similar. You should look at your wiring diagrams to make sure yours work the same. You will probably have the only Hyundai injector shutoff in the world.

At my injectors I located the 4 same color(mine were black) wires, these are the grounds. I snipped these wires and combined them into one and ran thru a switch on my gearshift then back to the other snipped ends(there again I had combined into one). I snipped my wires between the loom and injectors. If you want yours to be less evident go back farther into the loom. You may actually find where the 4 to the injectors branched from a single wire.

The other wires to the injectors are each a different color, don't mess with those. I used no relay and no fused connections and 14 gauge wire.

I used a small switch (about 3/4 in. dia. button) that rocks back and forth. Also has a green LED for dark nights. Some recommend a momentary switch that requires to be held in the off position. I think that would be a pain. I prefer a plain on/off switch. Most of the time I will switch back on as soon as the engine dies then when ready to restart, just bump.

The switch will immediately kill the engine without fiddling with the ignition key. Everything else the ignition key controls remains on(speedo, turn signals, fuel pump, lights, etc).

Works great and makes engine-off coasting so easy it's hard to believe. I can do it with a passenger not even noticing.

Hope this helps. CO ZX2
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #29
XFi
Registered Member

Including the rebate, I got the Accent for $11,800 plus tax/tags.

Thanks for the info, that definately helps. I will try to do that next weekend after I get back from my Pittsburg Trip for Work. I just removed the mirrors tonight and also need to fabricate two mirror delete plates/covers. The Gorilla Tape will be fine for now . Got to love a new car with duct tape on it!

Old 08-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #30
Registered Member

My dad was thinking about trading his Mercedes for a small car. How is it as a regular driver (not necessarily for FE). Are the seats comfortable, any issues, etc? Is the car itself solid?

One more thing, is driving without side mirrors a problem? I would think the blind spots would become enormous.

-Sameer

skale7 is offline   Reply With Quote