NEW Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 23 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #221
Registered Member

I'd recommend a v6 Ford Taurus fan. They're highly available, displace a ton of air, and they include a nice shroud that will help maximize the cooling on the radiator.

Usually, I'm against electric water pumps because of the fact that they don't really show signs of fatigue before they fail, but the pump on your motor is a monster. You can probably run the fan and the pump off of your ignition in order to turn them on when the car is started. You'll need a block-off plate and different sized belt to run the electric pump. I'd start with just the fan, though.

Matt

Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #222
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByNothing View Post
I'd recommend a v6 Ford Taurus fan. They're highly available, displace a ton of air, and they include a nice shroud that will help maximize the cooling on the radiator.

Usually, I'm against electric water pumps because of the fact that they don't really show signs of fatigue before they fail, but the pump on your motor is a monster. You can probably run the fan and the pump off of your ignition in order to turn them on when the car is started. You'll need a block-off plate and different sized belt to run the electric pump. I'd start with just the fan, though.

Matt
I agree...I would start with the fan, and then I would try some serious grille blocking on that car. After that, maybe an airdam and belly pan?? ... should be REALLY easy to get under there for all that.

I think I am going to try to get an airdam 1st attempt going on my car this weekend, and if it goes well enough, might even give my wife's car a shot.

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #223
Registered Member

37!

I know it's small potatoes compared to the 50+ folks, but with considerable EOC and limited A/C use, I managed roughly over 37 mpg over about 320 miles in the Integra This is a personal best in the "combined cycle" segment. (I've cracked 40 on 95% highway segments).

Even though it seems counter-intuitive, I get better mileage on the drive to work, in sometimes bumper-to-bumper driving, compared to open Interstate. The excuse to drive slower helps.

The problem is, it's getting hotter and more humid. I can tolerate the mornings as they're generally cool, but the afternoons are seeing 110F+ in the cabin. I'm doing my best to keep the A/C button off, but once it reaches 95F, it's going to be hard. On the way back from the office, I'm contemplating the idea of taking the non-highway route to compare the use of 2" of windows-down at 55-60 on the highway or 100% windows-down on the 45mph-average backroute (I can change clothes when I get home). The problem/difference is about 20 traffic lights vs. 12. I guess we'll see.

If I can crack 40-combined I've reached a short-term goal.

I have to say, so far so good with the EOC -- over 1-year on a 5+ year-old battery, constant headlamp use, and multiple starts and mostly 35MPH coasts.

RH77
Old 05-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #224
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I know it's small potatoes compared to the 50+ folks, but with considerable EOC and limited A/C use, I managed roughly over 37 mpg over about 320 miles in the Integra This is a personal best in the "combined cycle" segment. (I've cracked 40 on 95% highway segments).

Even though it seems counter-intuitive, I get better mileage on the drive to work, in sometimes bumper-to-bumper driving, compared to open Interstate. The excuse to drive slower helps.

The problem is, it's getting hotter and more humid. I can tolerate the mornings as they're generally cool, but the afternoons are seeing 110F+ in the cabin. I'm doing my best to keep the A/C button off, but once it reaches 95F, it's going to be hard. On the way back from the office, I'm contemplating the idea of taking the non-highway route to compare the use of 2" of windows-down at 55-60 on the highway or 100% windows-down on the 45mph-average backroute (I can change clothes when I get home). The problem/difference is about 20 traffic lights vs. 12. I guess we'll see.

If I can crack 40-combined I've reached a short-term goal.

I have to say, so far so good with the EOC -- over 1-year on a 5+ year-old battery, constant headlamp use, and multiple starts and mostly 35MPH coasts.

RH77
Whoot! Personal Best gota love it.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #225
Registered Member

I think I'm gonna have to up the pressure in my tires. I'm at half a tank and I'm estimating about 20mpg despite much more EOCing.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:53 AM   #226
Registered Member

Note to self: You can't push start a 4400LB car as easy as a metro.

Ya so I wore out my starter yesterday. Ended up getting some help to get the car into a gas station lot. Then some more help to get it going to bump start. Made it home alright.

I get to drive it today without a start. Just have to stay conscious not to turn it off while stopped!

I have a Limited lifetime warranty, hopefully this is covered since it has only been 2 years since I bought the thing.

I plan on replacing my ball joints this weekend, and my starter now . Also looking at putting together an AM transmitter so I can play an MP3 player over my radio. If I can get all three done this weekend I will be really happy!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #227
FE nut

I had a pretty decent day for FE today. I don't have an accurate average for the day because my SG lost it's mind when I was pulling out of the garage this morning but, it's showing just over 75 for the day. I reset all of the values on the run so it shows all but about 1 mile's worth. Segments below:
1) 57.7-? (not sure of the miles because of SG)
2) 74.2-9.6
3) 58.0-9.6
4) 78.4-7.0
5) 64.0-7.0
6) 80.7-12.3
7) 67.2-9.2
8) 87.8-7.7
9) 118-7.7(new PR!)

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #228
Registered Member

After driving today I think I just ran my battery down too far yesterday. Thinking back my headlights/wipers/and radio were all on. And my blinkers didn't work with the engine off. After idling at all the stoplights today but still P&G'ing everything was working fine. Including my starter.

I guess this won't be a problem most of the year. Just so much rain this time of year! (Thankfully, seems we have been in a drought here in Texas for the last 5 years straight).
Old 05-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #229
Registered Member

Either way, it brings up a good point. Batteries and starters aren't made for the abuse from frequent restarts.

I know Optima batteries can handle quite a bit of abuse. I believe the starter's solenoid is the part that would wear out and I'm guessing it'd be due to heat.

Matt
Old 05-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #230
Registered Member

I heard that Optima was bought out and that they are not exactly what they used to be... No personal experience, though.