NEW Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 30 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #291
Registered Member

The raising of the boiling point can be important in order to avoid spots on the head where the coolant boils off and makes steam pockets. Or so I heard. I doubt many of us drive hard enough for that to be a real issue, but on a looooong hill climb I guess it could matter...

Old 07-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #292

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kinda happy with myself !
From the home parking spot to the work parking spot

Gotta long ways to go for a fill

Finally done with work and at home

inlet air temps at 68* a.m. and 85* p.m
avg speed 42 mph
pulse LOD 55-60
neutral coast TPS 17 /LOD 22
40-53 mph range a.m. (light traffic)
45-55 mph range p.m. (meanie traffic) - could've broke a 60 for the day with cooperation , but I know the potential is there .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wanted to say Thanks to all here that have gotten me started and on the road with my new addiction

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:30 AM   #293
Team GasMisers5!

Commute to work today : 58.94MPG (US). This is a personal record - my previos personal best was 50.0MPG (US). Driving conditions today were also less than optimal, so more improvements were in store!. This change is due to a new driving technique, having looked in detail at the readings from my wideband lambda sensor

Edit : this is 268% of EPA!

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:17 AM   #294
Registered Member

FE was off today from expected, was 30.2. I was pulling 31-32 pretty consistently till end of June, maybe I finally found out why.

Cooling system isn't holding pressure as normal - unscrewing the reservoir cap doesn't give the usual "pfffft" that these cars produce. I found a leak in lower rad hose. Not enough to lose any real volume of coolant but the pressure release lets the temp come down a few degrees. Don't know if I'll have time to fix it tonight; tomorrow should be possible.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #295

Morning drive ended with 47.8 which is 'Ok' . Fairly cool and very humid so I wasn't expecting much over 45 . The afternoon ended in the garage with 57.7 ! Hot and humid conditions with a very slight tailwind though (must've been a 'good' wind ! ) .Todays tank ended with a 49.8 ... Still not satisfied
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 AM   #296
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
Morning drive ended with 47.8 which is 'Ok' . Fairly cool and very humid so I wasn't expecting much over 45 . The afternoon ended in the garage with 57.7 ! Hot and humid conditions with a very slight tailwind though (must've been a 'good' wind ! ) .Todays tank ended with a 49.8 ... Still not satisfied
Don't ever be satisfied. You are doing very well with your Focus.

Do you know if your engine has variable valve timing (VVT) on both intake and exhaust? I have the Zetec 2.0 that has VVT on the exhaust. I have tried to research the Focus(I remember mention of added VVT on intake) but can't seem to find any info. Tell clencher where those hills are that you coast down in Minnesoteo He says he can't find any.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:05 AM   #297
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
Commute to work today : 58.94MPG (US). This is a personal record - my previos personal best was 50.0MPG (US). Driving conditions today were also less than optimal, so more improvements were in store!. This change is due to a new driving technique, having looked in detail at the readings from my wideband lambda sensor

Edit : this is 268% of EPA!
My man....I told you the kilt would do it.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2 View Post
Don't ever be satisfied. You are doing very well with your Focus.

Do you know if your engine has variable valve timing (VVT) on both intake and exhaust? I have the Zetec 2.0 that has VVT on the exhaust. I have tried to research the Focus(I remember mention of added VVT on intake) but can't seem to find any info. Tell clencher where those hills are that you coast down in Minnesoteo He says he can't find any.
Thanks CO ZX2 - Inspiration needed ...and recieved !
Clencher -Ha ! its a secret!! .... I35 dood. North from Albert Lea to Owatonna and back daily . Not Colorado style"Hills" by any measure , but enough to get the job done . If only I still lived in Montrose, Co. I might be able to compete with CO ZX2 !
I'm not going to be satisfied because I *know* there are 60+ mpg tanks to come from this car .Today on a 6.6 mile segment I saw an honest 72.8 ! Then the wind ...well there is always tomorrow, right ?

As far as VVT ? No it does not . At least not in a Ford iirc the Mazda versions Do .

Not that it is an end all for info but Wikipedia has a pretty good timeline on the Duratec series :
Duratec 20
The 993 is a 2.0 L (1988 cc) version built in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico. Bore is 87.5 mm and stroke is 83.1 mm. It is used in the US model Focus, the Brazilian Ford EcoSport,the Argentine Ford Focus and in Europe in the Fiesta ST, Focus and Focus C-Max, Mondeo, S-Max, Transit and Galaxy. On the Focus, output is 136 hp at 6000 RPM with 136 ft?lbf of torque at 4250 rpm. The Focus sold in the states of CA, NY, MA, VT and ME comes with the required PZEV emissions 20E version which produces 130 hp at 6000 RPM with 129 ft?lbf of torque at 4000 rpm. The PZEV is available as an option in border states. The compression ratio for both versions is 10:1. It has an aluminum engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. The cylinders are lined with cast iron. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods, a one-piece cast camshaft, and a cast aluminum or reinforced plastic intake manifold. It does not have VVT. The power output is less than the Mazda version which does have VVT. The European 2.0 is rated at 145PS due to higher compression ratio (10.8:1 versus US 10.0:1) and reduced exhaust back pressure.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #299
Registered Member

Rolled into the driveway this evening with the SG1 showing an even 100 mpg (US) for the tank (just under 100 mi., currently). This is with the SG1 offset somewhat pessimistically, I believe.

I've got a couple of short rural trips coming up with ideal P&G routes in the next 10 days or so. I'll probably have less than 200 mi on the odo for this tank, but I'm going to fill it before a highway trip planned for a week Friday.

Being under 3 gallons, it won't be a "competition valid" fill, but it will be a consistent fill, done in the manner & at the same pump I usually do. I'm hoping to crack 100, just for the fun of it. Then I will speed up some

To put this in perspective: it's almost all city driving, with a little exurban thrown in; average speed: 17 mph.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #300
Registered Member

Another 50 miles or so today on some ideal P&G roads. 112 mpg (US) round trip; dragged the SG1 indicated tank value up to 104 mpg over approx 150 miles.

Got another trip coming tomorrow on similarly FE friendly roads...

EDIT: today's avg speed was 23 mph

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote