NEW Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 31 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #301

51.1 there, 51.5 here . 76.2 mi total ,44.2 on an alt route . Nasty road ,less traffic and slower speeds . Just what was needed to combat the wind !(actually taller corn was needed , maybe next week. )

Nice driving Metro ! If I had a wee bit more time , I'd be doing 30 and under myself ! As it sits my avg speed was at an even 40 mph .

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #302
Registered Member

A new PR for me - 36.5 mpg US. Previous record was 32.9 during a two-month pre-mod baseline w/ 28.9 average. I credit the new O2 sensor for this increase. I can see the engine using 0.1 gph less at idle, and 0.3 to 0.4 gph less on the highway. More mods to come. Less N coasting though - the trannie is starting to shift funny sometimes :-S

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #303
Registered Member

Well I hope I am not falling off the hyper-miler wagon . I was out on the freeway today collecting data on grooves in my head. I was seeing how fast I could go and still get good mileage. I define good as 60 mpg. I am pretty sure that 60 mpg at 60 mph is a goal accomplished. I averaged 63.5 mpg for 6 14 mile bidirectional runs at 60 mph. It looks like I am still around 55 mpg at 70 mph but that was a pretty short test. The 150 miles since the grooves average 60.2 mpg and this was mostly testing on the freeway.

The SOHC Saturn combustion chamber is not an ideal one for Somender grooves but it looks like I gained about 10% on top of pretty decent mileage already. This is highway mileage so may not fully carry over to commuting.

Here is more if you are curious.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=3927&page=2
Old 07-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #304

50.2 there , 52.1 here . 66.7 mi (10 in town) ,41 mph avg .Tank stands at 48.9 mpg .

usedgeo- a 10% gain is *always* good !
Old 07-15-2007, 10:44 AM   #305
Registered Member

The groove effect is real, even with dished pistons.

I fueled up today. 492 miles, 7.8 gallons, 63 mpg. Scangauge had me at about 61.6. I forgot to write down average speed for the tank. There were 300 miles since the Somender Singh grooves.

Yesterday, I drove back to where I grew up, 75 miles one way, 500 ft elevation change, maintained 61 mph on the freeway. Outbound I had a heck of a time getting better than 52 mpg. I had a slight upgrade and 15 mph headwind. I was thinking of all the ways I would have to eat crow on those grooves. The 90+ temperature was making me sweat too. I had started out with a cold car and that did not help. The trip was a spur of the moment thing. I had been avoiding the freeway for several months. I did have a several mile downgrade that almost saved me. I ended up at about 56 mpg outbond. Of course I had to get back up the hill coming home. There were intersections, stop signs and slow curves for a short distance. The trip back with the hill and tailwind worked out to about 64 mpg. I did not shut off the engine but I did neutral coast on hills where I could. The Today numbers were 59.8 mpg, 55 mph ave, 155 miles. Given the 1.5% error of the scangauge I am still calling that 60 mpg at 60 mph. There is not much margin though. I was running 210 WT and 185 IAT. It came back up the hill, which had coasted down at 75 mph, at 61 mph in 5th gear at temps of 220 WT and 200 IAT. The grooves do help slightly with the torque thing.

Often times on the way back with the taliwind the load on the engine would get so low that the timing would fall back to no load timing, 18 BTDC with the gph just about .2 or .3 gph above driveway gph for that rpm. I could have used taller gearing for sure. Maybe I should have just bumped it up to 65 mph or better to keep a little load on the engine. I can see why those running like this are installing hand throttles. It would be good to keep enough load on the engine to keep the timing up there at 33-34 degrees. That would be DWL though I guess. It is hard to do with your foot.

After I filled up this morning I did a run out to work and back home. Up to work was 70 mpg and home was 110 mpg. These are personal records by about 10% above anything previous. The TANK currently sits at 85 mpg, 29 mi, 35 mph ave. I know I cannot maintain that but it is still a nice way to start the tank.

Gee, this is almost as good as those guys on the TOP ten list . I still feel like an imposter there. This site made it very easy for me to achieve what I have in what seems like a pretty short time.

I have convinced my self of the groove effect. Even though it took me two days to get the grooves in if I could find some hypereutectic flat top pistons I would pull the engine apart again. I think it could use about 10.5:1 compression ratio and about 1 tooth retard on the cam.

Incidently After 2.7 hour without alternator I still had 12 volts while loaded. I have a large deep cycle battery in the trunk. If I do this again I am going to unplug the running lights though.

This is the most fun I have had in quite a while.

I noticed CO had trouble opening the Somender Sing Grooves thread in the experiments section. I replaced all the pictures with links. That should help out.

Sorry, I wrote so much but I like talking about it.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #306
Registered Member

cool stuff, usedgeo. thanks for reporting.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #307
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
The TANK currently sits at 85 mpg, 29 mi, 35 mph ave. I know I cannot maintain that but it is still a nice way to start the tank.
THAT'S an understatement! Nice, nice.

I'm still P&Ging my way towards my goal of 100+ for my July fill-up, and according to the SG1, it's still sitting at 104 over 180-ish miles.

EDIT: and I've been doing this minus my beloved wheel skirts. I took them off a few weeks back to reinforce them and make up the new fastening method, but like so many other projects, haven't done it yet...
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:45 AM   #308
Registered Member

46 mpg for the trip into work in the new MZ3. Tanks at 44 mpg.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #309

Off to a great start psy! You're knockin on 50's door !

52.3 to work 33.2 mi
49.6 work to wally's 29.6 mi
49.1 wally's to home 3.3 mi
50.7 todays tank
Old 07-16-2007, 12:38 PM   #310
Registered Member

usedgeo, you are doing very well . I am impressed with what these saturns are doing. I may have to start looking for one when my geo needs replaced. What year did they stop making them like your's? Which motor/trans set-up does your's have? What are your rpms at 60 mph? I would love to see some pics of you aero mods too. Could you add some pics to your garage, pretty please?

sorry for all the questions .

jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote