Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
basjoos -

Yes, but your VX + Aero mods means that your 60 MPH is like my 40 MPH in terms of MPG, since "nary a leaf" is moved by your passing .

CarloSW2
That's the reason I got 72mpg on my latest tank dispite 2/3 of it driven on the interstates at interstate speeds.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #72
Registered Member

I would do the same, basjoos. If I could theoretically eke another 10% FE through aero mods, I'd probably drive faster and split the difference - for a net gain in speed and fuel economy.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #73
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
That's the reason I got 72mpg on my latest tank dispite 2/3 of it driven on the interstates at interstate speeds.
That is awesome basjoos, an inspiration for all of us aero junkies.

I added a small lip spoiler to the truck lid last week. Per data I have read this should be good for -0.01-0.02 Cd. With all changes I think I am now under 0.30 Cd.

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #74
Registered Member

Slept in today, so I drove to school with WOT, 130+km/h on the TC highway & no FAS'ing. 30.5mpg for the 3 mile trip which honesty isn't *that* bad for inefficient high-speed driving and frosty temperatures. The norms at this time of year is supposed to be +10*C, but it's been -5*C lately.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #75
Registered Member

A trip into the Big Box district for some expanding foam for an aero shaping idea...

92.3 mpg (US) round trip; 5 mi.; cold, windy, rainy; 13 mph avg (stupid traffic lights not cooperating - I've had the worst timing / luck with lights lately)

I did something tonight I've never done before: strong head wind cut short a glide approaching a stop sign & turn at the crest of a small hill. I came up about 3 car lengths short. Properly executed, I normally get to coast another half a block after stopping at the sign, so I didn't want to re-start just to move 3 car lengths.

So I opened the door, stepped out, and pushed . (No other cars around)
Old 04-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
A trip into the Big Box district for some expanding foam for an aero shaping idea...

92.3 mpg (US) round trip; 5 mi.; cold, windy, rainy; 13 mph avg (stupid traffic lights not cooperating - I've had the worst timing / luck with lights lately)

I did something tonight I've never done before: strong head wind cut short a glide approaching a stop sign & turn at the crest of a small hill. I came up about 3 car lengths short. Properly executed, I normally get to coast another half a block after stopping at the sign, so I didn't want to re-start just to move 3 car lengths.

So I opened the door, stepped out, and pushed . (No other cars around)
Pays to have a light car You da man. Need to add that to the list of- you know you're a hypermiler when?
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #77
Registered Member

Todays runs and scangauge accruacy.

"Today" I had to run an errand at lunch so I ran 60.9 miles total at 59.7 mpg. I think speed average is 33 mph. On the 15 mile leg home I started with a slightly warm engine, a tailbreeze, warm weather and slight downhill. I had 95 mpg at the best spot on the way home. I finished up the homeward leg at 79 mpg after traffic, lights, and some small hills. The tank is showing 58 mpg at 397 miles but I am almost certain that true heated intake air is messing with the scangage calibration just the same as lying to it. I think this is a glitch with respect to Saturns.

I saw over 180 IAT for a little bit today. I pulled another piece out of the grill block as the water peaked at 224 F. I am really just doing about 50 mpg which is better than I dared hoped I would do when I bought this Saturn.

Maybe it's not as refined as a Honda but for price and value I think they are really hard to beat.

Ernie
Old 04-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #78
Registered Member

Picked up a welder. 82.5 mpg (US) r.t.; 10 mi; 16 mph avg; 4x mph max., cold, windy, snowy.

This drive was what I think most people would call "normal" traffic conditions (while still trying to route-optimise as much as possible).

As a result, I guess I'm not used to it - I usually try to pick my travel times to avoid the traffic rush. This trip I made a bunch of blunders that forced me onto the brakes much more often & harder than usual. It's no good turning gasoline into brake dust!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeUU View Post
With all changes I think I am now under 0.30 Cd.
As you probably know, the 405 in US/CDN trim had a Cd of 0.32. In Europe, a version was offered with 0.29 Cd, which included, among other things, wind deflectors ahead of the front wheels, a rear undertray (especially important on a 405, as the area under the trunk is a wind trap deluxe), a spare wheel undertray, and skinny tires (175/70-14).

There was also a "7 CV" fiscally rated 405 with 1905 cc engine, which had a very long final drive ratio. That too knocked several tenths off the L/100 km!

The European front bumpers are probably important in the Cd, and perhaps the rear too.

The best option would probably be to fit the European Mi16 bumpers. I know a guy in Bothell WA who has a set! I saw them last Sunday, when I was buying some 405 parts from him (new LR rear brake caliper and a few other bits).
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #80
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
As you probably know, the 405 in US/CDN trim had a Cd of 0.32. In Europe, a version was offered with 0.29 Cd, which included, among other things, wind deflectors ahead of the front wheels, a rear undertray (especially important on a 405, as the area under the trunk is a wind trap deluxe), a spare wheel undertray, and skinny tires (175/70-14).
Right now I have the nose completely taped shut and hood sealed -7%, plus the little lip on back -0.01 and spring sag from age -(?) I figured I am slightly under 0.30. I was planning on the belly pans and wind deflectors. Did you notice if the european version was minus the passenger mirror? I figured that I could order up the trim pieces to make it look good. The wife already thinks I am a nut case with duct tape.

Plus if the stock under-parts are available, the time savings would be heaven right now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
The European front bumpers are probably important in the Cd, and perhaps the rear too.

The best option would probably be to fit the European Mi16 bumpers. I know a guy in Bothell WA who has a set! I saw them last Sunday, when I was buying some 405 parts from him (new LR rear brake caliper and a few other bits).
I figured the 0.32 was a bit optimistic so I started with 0.33, the north american bumpers are quite draggy compared to the trimmer EU versions, particularly at the rear wheel well.

PM me his name if you dont mind, I have to talk with this guy, I was trying to get ahold of TJ for a set of rims for my nearly ordered 175/70s summer FE specials, but had no luck. Plus I need some other things as well, if the old gold car is going to get to 40mpg it needs a few fixes.

Thanks Mike

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote