Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2007, 05:10 AM   #371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Hey psy-

I like the new ride! How do you like it so far? I've rented a couple and test drove a 2.0 Auto and 2.3 Manual. I liked the handling, interior and FE (and the 5-speed better )...

-Rick
Im liking it a lot. The car is easier to drive than the Civic was. That little bit of extra torque makes the car much more drivable. The seating position and driving experience is much more like a Accord than a Civic. Its not as quite as our Accord. But almost. Im not impressed with the interior fabrics used. The upholstery feels cheap. Where as it felt upscale in the Civic. BUT I was already getting wear marks in the Civics seat and arm rest. So Im hoping the MZ3's fabrics hold up better. The car handles great!!! So sport EOC is a blast in this car. I haven't got a chance to lay in the brakes yet. I have no reason not to believe that this car does have near world class braking ability's as mention in several road test over the years. Turn in is great and it digs very well indeed.

A buddy of mine owns a G35 he was struck with how the MZ3 dash reminded him of the dash in his car. Doesn't look like the G35 dash. But feels like it and interacts with you like it does. We both agreed that if there was a little oval clock in the dash. It would get spooky. ( That was a good laugh )

The AC does seem just a tad weak. Im OK with that as long as it keeps working when I do require it. Im not a freezer queen like most Americans.

I figure once the car is broke in good and running on M1 the mpg will be close to what the Civic was capable of. Its much more easy to keep the rpms low when launching the car. And it handles being in between 2000 and 1500 rpms much better than the Civic.

The paint is a orange peeled mess on it. But appears to be thicker than the Civic and Accord. So Im hoping gravel and bugs wont make it look like a Honda looks in short order.

I have had my first issue with the car. I launched semi hard the other day. The result was a awful bang in the passengers compartment. Sounded like a gun went off. It was a awful Bang. I was crossing a 4 lane hwy. Had a spot open and took it. I mean it wasn't a wheel turner or anything. Just squirt out into traffic to get the job done. Anyway I read the riot act to my dealer and Mazda credit and told them it would be fixed or I would abandon the car at the dealer and move on down the street and buy something else. I was very perplexed by this noise. The motor mounts looked fine. And many Mazda fans said it was wheel hop. None of this adds up to me. I couldn't sleep last night so I got the car up on ramps and started digging thru it. Found some TSB on it and started checking them out. Sure enough the right side / drivers side motor mount was loose. So I followed the TSB for a 05 MZ3. Recentered the mount. Put some locktite on the bolts. (My Mod) Then torqued down. I also took some measurements to make my own centering washers. This got rid of the problem for the time being. It almost looked like a tech was doing the TSB on the car in dealer prep and forgot what they were doing. So I will call the dogs off today and move on.

Its a drivers car with some mpg qualitys.

psy

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #372
Team GasMisers5!

Nice drive today - 47.9 miles round trip, 0.746 US gallons for 64.2MPG(US) 192% over EPA

The return journey was at 76.4MPG(US) too (247% over EPA)!

My tank is currently sitting at 58.9MPG for 115 miles!

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #373
Registered Member

70 mpg tank!!

My first tank over 70 mpg . Never thought I would go that far.

copied from experimets:

I fueled up again yesterday. These have been short fills lately because I want confirmation of scangauge numbers. 434 miles. 6.084 gallons, 71.3 mpg, 33 mph ave. This is 4.24 mpg or 6.3% over any previous personal record fill. In a case like this the motivation can lead to extra effort. I will never know whether is was the offer of a CD or the grooves that pushed me to new heights .

In any case I still think it is pretty darn good for my Saturn. I would place more validity on the steady state numbers than general commuting. Traffic, wind, signal lights and state of mind play a large part in daily driving mileage. My bad runs to work are now about where my good runs used to be though.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #374

Gratz! That is a Big jump , whatever you're doin - keep doin it ! It's working .
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #375
Registered Member

Just filled up for the second time after getting my 2000 Mazda Protégé. I saw an 11% improvement over my first tank, which brought me to 29.74. Highway EPA is 28, and this tank was over half city driving with a lot of lights.

This weekend I'm going to start planning some aero improvements.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #376
Registered Member

Finally Cracked 40!

Well, it finally happened...a mixed-driving tank over 40!

Vehicle: Integra
Transmission: Automatic
Distance: 337 mi.
Fuel 8.03 gal.
MPG = 41.97

Differences:
Re-located the intake to draw slightly cooler air (down to 110-120F avg.)
More rev-matched downshifting instead of the brake
EOC when appropriate

Otherwise, same old technique and mods. One more thing, the new SG II probably helped too

-Rick
Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #377

Hot Dang! Wonders never cease huh? Gratz on 40+ !! The SG *did* help ...
I've been running @ 85-95° iat's - do the Teg's respond to being that warm ?

My last tank (actually two fill ups total ) have been off by a bit on the SG . After adjusting the speed/distance to -2% all is right with the world (within reason anyway ) . I did break 52 mpg this tank! - I only require a backup of 52 for that Cowboy tune cd . 428.5 mi /52.17 mpg and 8.212 gallons used . Still looking for a 60 tank ...
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #378
Team GasMisers5!

Just drove home in very foggy weather, heavy traffic, very little hypermiling at all.

36.7MPG for 12 miles - still 66% over EPA And I went at the normal speed of the traffic (it was a single carriageway), and there was a strong headwind!

I would never have been able to do that without this site, my SuperMID, and my VEMS Wideband lambda

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #379
Registered Member

Finally doing well again - mostly. Getting about 32-32.4 mpg regularly. For about 3 weeks I've been dealing with various vehicle malfunctions. Cooling system, cracked vacuum hose, flat tire, man oh man.

So this morning I went to a tire shop to have them check out my rear tires, I'd been feeling a cyclic thumping while rolling. Sure enough, one is getting ready for tread separation. Dang. So I ordered a pair, will have them late next week. Meanwhile tomorrow I'll swap on another pair temporarily from my garage reserves so I'll be safe till the new ones get here. Wife drives the same model + year so we have plenty tires the same size, snows + summer ones, all mounted.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #380
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
Hot Dang! Wonders never cease huh? Gratz on 40+ !! The SG *did* help ...
I've been running @ 85-95? iat's - do the Teg's respond to being that warm ?

My last tank (actually two fill ups total ) have been off by a bit on the SG . After adjusting the speed/distance to -2% all is right with the world (within reason anyway ) . I did break 52 mpg this tank! - I only require a backup of 52 for that Cowboy tune cd . 428.5 mi /52.17 mpg and 8.212 gallons used . Still looking for a 60 tank ...
52 mpg. You're gettin' the hang of it. No backup required. PM address.

I think the Cowboy CD deal is workin'. Sent out 10 already for best tanks ever!!

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote