New tires = lower MPG - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #1
Site Team

New tires = lower MPG

I was doing some reading on rolling resistance, and found out that new tires will typically decrease MPG because of increased RR (and the fact that the odometer is turning slower due to larger OD). Pretty interesting articles over at TireRack.

Quote:
It also means that a Toyota Prius appearing to get 50.0 mpg just before replacing its worn-out tires with new tires of the same brand, type and size, might be reduced to registering just 47.25 mpg afterwards, even if all of the driving conditions were identical.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sp?techid=177& (You might want to start with parts 1 and 2 first)

-BC

Old 05-22-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Yup, I've got that info buried somewhere in the huge unwieldy piles of data and hot air in one of my tire threads. Sometimes I mention it in other people's tire threads; I tell them that any new tire is going to have more RR than their worn tires.

The odometer turning slower due to larger OD would affect the accuracy of your FE measurement (making it read slightly less than it really is), but its true effect would probably be a minuscule increase in real FE.

Hey, come to think of it, I wonder if my severely worn tires are part of why my FE seems a little better than it used to be. I'm challenging myself to see how long I can go with them before I put on the replacements that I already have...

Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

I replaced my last set of tires before they were worn down to the point that they would not pass the state safety inspection. I prob ably could have got another 5,000 to 10,000miles out of them before the tread wear indicators popped up, but a fantastic deal came my way on the tires I wanted, so I replaced them.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

Makes you want to drive around on may pops doesn't it.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Lots of great info about tire tech from a tire engineer from NC.

http://www.barrystiretech.com/index.html
want2buyVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
That site gets my endorsement, for whatever that's worth. I've liked it for a long time. I find it very informative and there is very little I disagree with there.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

I've used 175/70-13 size tires on my '92 Civic VX for years due to lack of availability of quality OEM size 165/70-13s. Any idea how much the larger diameter tires affect my mpg figures? Measured trip odometer readings show I get a consistent 40-45 mpg. Am I doing better or worse than that in actual numbers?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #8
Registered Member

Assuming that your car has not been adjusted for the new tires, you are getting better fuel economy than your calculations. You can compensate by calculating in an extra 2.5%.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gork57 View Post
I've used 175/70-13 size tires on my '92 Civic VX for years due to lack of availability of quality OEM size 165/70-13s. Any idea how much the larger diameter tires affect my mpg figures? Measured trip odometer readings show I get a consistent 40-45 mpg. Am I doing better or worse than that in actual numbers?
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote