New to board, question about Geo Metro - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrell View Post
Well, I commute to Homer everyday so I need all the gas savings I can get. Bad thing is I watched a metro sedan sit on a lot outside Minden for sale for a year for $2500. Now I feel like an idiot that it's gone. I let a co-worker convince me I'd "lose cool points" if I drove it. Now he's drving a 92 Sentra 5 speed.
That'll teach ya! Don't let anyone (even me!) talk you out of something (or someone, for that matter) it that's what you really want.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
Registered Member

No kidding! I wasn't too fond of the sedan style but it was a nice forest green color. Woulda gone great with my whole workin for the forest service thing....

Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
Registered Member

I'm taking the plunge!!! I went and got it and drove it to my house. The engine is making one HELL of a knocking sound and smoking so I'm gonna trash it. I found a used engine in great shape in for $450 cash. Its got 85K miles on it. I'm dropping this one and will have as back up for parts.
Got a fellow mechanic here locally who will do a replace and swap for 400 dollars. While the new motor is out, I will replace the water pump, all major seals and gaskets, timing belt and tensioner, and the clutch.
I'm hoping labor all together doesn't run me but about $1000. I will myself replace the spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv valve, brakes, and flush the engine about 4 times with cheapo oil and then probably run Valvoline Maxlife and use only Napa Gold or Pureone filters. I like the ring and seal conditioners in it.
I will only have a serpentine belt big enough to run the AC and the alternator. Forget the power steering and any other luxury items. I'll take out anything not being used to free up weight and room.
When I washed to little booger, I couldn't believe my eyes. The body is near flawless. Only one golfball sized ding on the drivers door. Paint is ok. Interior needs some TLC and some Febreeze.
I have to admit, I'm fairly excited. I hope it all works out. Then I'll drive it till it breaks and fix it again. I'll be smiling when that Ford Excursion drives by me as I'm getting hopefully 35-40mpg in the 96 Metro 5spd.

Rob
bigrobrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #14
Registered Member

You think it's wise to spend the money on a Wix filter for that? The Maxlife may actually bog it down a bit. I'd run the lightest oil I could like M1 0W20 or at least 0W30. Just my opinion, though!

Good find, man!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
Registered Member

Congrats man. I think you made the right decision. I don't know what you are averaging in Baton Rouge but it is getting close to 3.75 per gallon up here in Shreveport/Bossier.

Even if you end up spending 1000 on the repairs, you will still have one hell of an efficient car on your hands and will recoup your initial investment within the year.
Reishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #16
Registered Member

Updated recent exciting news!
I called a company here in Baton Rouge that specializes in engine swaps. I called them on a whim.
The owner informed me he can get me basically a brand new 1.3L 4cyl from Japan. He said at most it would have 20K miles on it.

He would do the complete swap, any necessary repairs (seals, gaskets, water pump, timing belt and tensioner) and the clutch for approx $1850.
It would come with a 12 year, 12K mile warranty which includes labor.

How can I go wrong with that?
Wix filters for the new motor? Absolutely! I can get a 6 pack wholesale for dirt cheap.
5w-30 bog it down? Possibly. The ragged out motor that's in it now has been seeing 10w-40 for the last who knows years! The owners manual specifically calls for 5w-30. Some people just don't have a clue about engine maintenance!
Yes, I would consider lighter/thinner oil such as 0w-30 or even 0w-20, but I am a stickler for using what the manual calls for. Whatever the new engine from Japan calls for is most likely what I'll end up using.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
Registered Member

Good deal man. Regarding the oil, I don't mean any 30 weight will bog it down. I'm referring to Maxlife, which is on the high end of the SAE 30 viscosity range. If the manual calls for 5W30, using 0W30 isn't going to do anything bad. It'll be a little less thick at startup, which is a good thing, and will decrease the time the oil takes to get up to temp. As for the Wix filters, hey, if you can get them cheap that's cool! Wish I could! I only by Supertechs. Great filters at a good price.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
It probably is a decent investment. I don't know how adept you are at rebuilding motors but I think the 3cly engine is almost light enough to lift out by hand!
Yep, did one in my '89 chev sprint. Same motor same body everything. In fact, when I picked it up, I nearly knocked my teeth out because I was expecting something heavier

N
Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #19
Registered Member

Thought I'd give an update. I was searching on google and stumbled across my nearly 2 year old post!!! FUNNY!!!

Long story short, I dropped a new motor, clutch, many other things in her in May of 2008 and she's still running strong. The 5spd manual tranny is probably due for a re-build, but other than that she's still kicking and getting me 40-41 mpg everyday, all day!!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #20
Registered Member

That's great! I've seen Metros in the junkyards with over 300k miles on them, so yours should go fine for a long time yet with reasonable care.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote