New to board, question about Geo Metro - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #21
Registered Member

Re: New to board, question about Geo Metro

3 years this month and still kicking!!!!!!!!

Averaging 42-43 mpg on 87 octane non-ethanol gasoline.

bigrobrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #22
Registered Member

that is awesome. just read this story for the first time. I've had two metros in my life. my first was a '93 with the 3cyl and the second was a '97 with the 1.3 4cyl. both were wonderful cars and I should have kept them but you know how that goes sometimes.

now I have a toyta yaris which is probably about the mose equivalent new car to the metro (egg shaped little cars).

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #23
Registered Member

Read this thread tonight for the first time and wished I had been as smart as you guys three years ago! Could have saved me a lot of money had I done this. Oh well, better late than never!!!!
VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobrn View Post
Thought I'd give an update. I was searching on google and stumbled across my nearly 2 year old post!!! FUNNY!!!

Long story short, I dropped a new motor, clutch, many other things in her in May of 2008 and she's still running strong. The 5spd manual tranny is probably due for a re-build, but other than that she's still kicking and getting me 40-41 mpg everyday, all day!!
Awesome to hear it worked out for you.
I had an uncle who had a metro, who later sold it to a friend.

For kicks, we pulled the engine once. Sorry, they unbolted it, I lifted it out on my own. The engine was so tiny I could have probably lifted the transmission with it.

After we did the head gasket and reinstalled the engine, we decided to take it for a fresh new drive...
Well 1 of my friends unplugged 1 of the spark plugs as a joke, and the rest of us didn't know.
It would barely move up a hill. We were so upset that we ruined the car over a single head gasket replacement... Until we lifted the hood to examine it.
What a good laugh.

Those cars are great.
chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:57 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo

You guys are making me wish I had pulled the three cylinder engine from mine when I junked it back in 2005 - 2006 which used to get 53 mpg! As you can see I got the 2006 xB and get in the low to mid 40's all the time for mileage.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #26
Registered Member

Just turned 100k of my own miles on my Geo...this in addition to the 151k (or maybe it was 251k) miles already on it...still going (but it is starting to use a little oil...)

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Registered Member

Over 4 years now she's been kicking and still averaging 44mpg using 87 non ethanol fuel.

Funny, I found my old post by googling geo metro for sale in baton rouge. LOL!

I'm about to jump the gun on a one owner 1996 1.0L 3cyl 5spd Metro in absolutely phenomenal shape!

Will advise and put up some pics if all works well.

About 6 months ago I had to have my tranny rebuilt. I had it completely rebuilt using a full rebuild kit for 500 dollars total. I couldn't be happier. She's as quiet as a church mouse without that ISB grinding it self to death.

Robby
BRFD
Local 557
bigrobrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrell View Post
Well, I commute to Homer everyday so I need all the gas savings I can get. Bad thing is I watched a metro sedan sit on a lot outside Minden for sale for a year for $2500. Now I feel like an idiot that it's gone. I let a co-worker convince me I'd "lose cool points" if I drove it. Now he's drving a 92 Sentra 5 speed.
Sebass, a guy on our forum here, has the same problem with his friends. I tell him all the time, no friend and no woman is worth having if they're worried about "cool" or "style" points. If they love you for your car, they'll be sleeping with the neighbor when you're out of town on business trips. Besides that, I have tons of people who think my VX is cool and they are totally impressed with the mpg that it gets. They think it's "cool" to get 50 miles per gallon!!! Always listen to your inner you and follow that little voice. Let the rest of the world worry about "cool" points!!!

Hopefully, Sebass will read this and come to his senses, too!!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobrn View Post
Over 4 years now she's been kicking and still averaging 44mpg using 87 non ethanol fuel.

Funny, I found my old post by googling geo metro for sale in baton rouge. LOL!

I'm about to jump the gun on a one owner 1996 1.0L 3cyl 5spd Metro in absolutely phenomenal shape!

Will advise and put up some pics if all works well.

About 6 months ago I had to have my tranny rebuilt. I had it completely rebuilt using a full rebuild kit for 500 dollars total. I couldn't be happier. She's as quiet as a church mouse without that ISB grinding it self to death.

Robby
BRFD
Local 557
Robby,

I sure wish you had started or would start a gas log. It's stories like yours that make me want to go to the garage, look at some pics of the car, and view the gas log to see how it's performed and what made it perform better and what made it perform worse! Start a gas log buddy and add some pictures for us!!! I'm sure there are others that would like to see, too!!!