new to manual learning how to drive vx - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 AM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobx530 View Post
Also could someone tell me if pulse and glide would be good or bad for the civic? this means i gotta turn off my engine during the glide? i really don't think the vx is all that aerodynamic...in it's original state that is.
another trick I used to get my transmission to shift better is more tire pressure.. your tranny will use less pressure to changed gears as less force is needed to get it moving, I went from slop to shifting nicely... I also lightened by 80-100 lbs..

from what it sounds like, you need to clean your first gear maybe, try driving at 2000-2200 rpms in first gear for 7 or 8 minutes this might possibly purge the gear and allow you to shift between between first and second better, also change your tranny fluid to mobil 1 if it will work in your car...

read my first response too.. do this stuff after you have your mounts cheched

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:09 AM   #12
Banned

Quote:
it's california, i checked the car fax. been in california it's whole life. no shift indicator.

first gear requires 2.5k rpm to get to 20mph and then into second w/o the thumping or shaking of the car. anything below that will somewhat make it shake.

when i make a right turn, i can't really use 2nd gear the car will shake, i think it's the exhaust or w/e is shaking.

The hood has been replaced, so i don't know the type of emission.
I can shift at 7-12 mph into second, but I have a different car..

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
Registered Member

yes it's up to date on it's maintenance
fobx530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #14

Once you get your mechanical issues resolved, you should be shifting at about 2000-2200 rpm for best mpg.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
There's not a way to drive it in this "lean burn" mode at all times are there?
If you have a California model, you do not have learn-burn at all.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Once you get your mechanical issues resolved, you should be shifting at about 2000-2200 rpm for best mpg.
some VX owners actually shift below 2k in higher gears. i don't have any manipulated facts or studies to "prove" it however, just real life examples of those that do it.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
If you have a California model, you do not have learn-burn at all.
OTOH, you probably don't have to worry about it being rusted out. Considering the age of the car, and what you paid for it, that is, in my opinion, a reasonable trade-off.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
It's not really a thumping sound, it's only when i shift too low on second gear. it sounds like it's starving for oxygen to burn the fuel or something...that's what a friend said. the car shakes, i think it's mostly the muffler or something.

so i'm unsure if this is bad for the car or not or if it's suppose to be like this at all.
So you have to shift at 3000RPM in 1st gear otherwise the car will shake violently? That's far too high of an RPM to have to shift.. If this is indeed the case, then the car needs a major tuneup because on my Civic which isn't a VX, I can shift safely at 1700RPM which drops me down to about 1K rpm. The VX is designed so that it can shift early unlike my Civic.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
some VX owners actually shift below 2k in higher gears. i don't have any manipulated facts or studies to "prove" it however, just real life examples of those that do it.
I thought so too. I was going to post about it but then I had some doubt when I remembered the VX's wide ratios compared to my Volkswagen's close ratios...I shift at 1200 or 1500 under normal conditions, but I run out of gears by 30mph.

Also, if you shift at low RPM in any gear it would be in the lower gears where you get more acceleration from less torque. As you get into higher gears you need to let the RPM rise more before shifting because the next gear is harder to turn.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Am I driving it correctly? Is the car ok? I'd love to learn how to drive this car correctly w/ the best possible mileage, shifting etc.PLEASE HELP!
I have a federal VX, not sure if it's the same for a california version, but try this:
shift into 2nd at 5mph
shift into 3rd at 28(?)
shift into 4th at 38
shift into 5 at 48

if you have an owner's manual, check that for precise shift recommendations.
the idea is to avoid the high revs, but I hear it's good for the engine every once in a while.

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote