new to manual learning how to drive vx - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Ok, addressing the list of questions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fobx530 View Post
How good is the aerodynamic of the VX for to have any gains with pulse and glide?
.36 coefficient, and small frontal area by today's standards. OTOH it's very light.

Quote:
Also if you're going to pulse and coast with engine off...isn't there a certain amount of fuel that will be used up, is it as efficient if not just leave it in neutral?
Depends on how much time you're talking about. For a few seconds coasting you're always better off with the engine on. For a long coast (maybe 30 seconds or more) there are savings to be had with EOC.

Quote:
At the same time, using the clutch so much would it out weight the price of gas vs price of a new clutch?
This will vary from driver to driver. A couple thoughts on it:

- If you leave the engine on, there's no need to put any wear on the clutch at all. Also, if you double clutch (ridiculously easy when you're coming from neutral already anyway) then there's also no wear on the synchros.

- If you EOC and bump-start, you're wearing the clutch less than you typically do when a red light turns green. You only need to move enough energy through the slipping clutch to turn the engine a few revolutions, vs. putting a lot of engine revolutions through the clutch to move the entire weight of the car from a stop.

A couple general thoughts on the last few questions:

- Like other techniques, P&G and EOC can be very effective for some, ineffective for others, and detrimental for a few. It depends on the combination of car, driver, roads, traffic, and probably a few things I forgot.

- The VX would seem not to need P&G/EOC as badly as other cars, with its wide ratios, tall gears, and lean burn. However, I think plenty of VX owners have had better results with those techniques than without.

Quote:
I also email ScanGauge, and they replied stating that their ScanGauge II will not work on my 1992 civic vx. Is this true or is the CSR dumb? What other alternative could I use besides the ScanGaugeII?
It only works on OBDII cars. OBDII did not exist in 1992, and 99% of cars did not have it until 1996 (a rare few got it in 1995).

Old 04-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #32
Registered Member

wow, immense knowledge. I thank you for your contribution.

I'm guessing there's no other way to get an actual readout for my mpg or how much gallons is left in the tank?

I drive 40 miles a day so once it hits the E, I usually fill up and when that happens I only fill up 6 or 6.7 gallons max. Though I've hit the E before and filled up 8 gallons which gave me 52.25 mpg.

fobx530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #33
Registered Member

There is an opensource project which is working to make a scangauge type device for OBD-I cars.. Here is a whole forum dedicated to that:http://ecomodder.com/forum/opengauge...-computer.html
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #34
Registered Member

I just got done building my own MPGuino (like ************* linked)... Still have to hook it up, but it should display the information that it sounds like you want.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #35
Registered Member

Yes it is. I'm not very technologically incline nor am I mechanically incline. I don't think it's something I want yet until they go into production.

For all the VX owners out there!

At 60MPH on 5th gear, what is your RPM?

When I first got my car, I did all the tune ups, spark plugs, oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter.

The car's RPM at 60MPH on 5th gear was at 1250 RPM, now after driving around 1k miles...at 60PMH on 5th gear, it's a little bit above 1500RPM.

I understand that the lower the RPM means the better gas mileage? So how do I get it down or is this where most of not all VX owners have their RPM at?

Let me know! Thanks!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobx530 View Post
Yes it is. I'm not very technologically incline nor am I mechanically incline. I don't think it's something I want yet until they go into production.

For all the VX owners out there!

At 60MPH on 5th gear, what is your RPM?

When I first got my car, I did all the tune ups, spark plugs, oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter.

The car's RPM at 60MPH on 5th gear was at 1250 RPM, now after driving around 1k miles...at 60PMH on 5th gear, it's a little bit above 1500RPM.

I understand that the lower the RPM means the better gas mileage? So how do I get it down or is this where most of not all VX owners have their RPM at?

Let me know! Thanks!
uh...what? The RPM should always be constant for a given speed and gear with your transmission unless you've got the clutch in. There is no way your engine could be at 1250RPM before a tuneup and then be at 1500rpm after a tuneup.. Secondly, at 60MPH in 5th gear, your engine should be revving at 2000RPM, not 1500RPM. Either you have a slipping clutch (you need a new clutch) or your gauge cluster is acting up.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
uh...what? The RPM should always be constant for a given speed and gear with your transmission unless you've got the clutch in. There is no way your engine could be at 1250RPM before a tuneup and then be at 1500rpm after a tuneup.. Secondly, at 60MPH in 5th gear, your engine should be revving at 2000RPM, not 1500RPM. Either you have a slipping clutch (you need a new clutch) or your gauge cluster is acting up.
after the tune up my car was at 1250rpm after 1k miles it was at 1500 or a little above it.

wow seriously about the slipping clutch? i am able to get 48mpg constant though i've gotten 47 and 52

hmmm
Old 05-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #38
Registered Member

Look online for ways to test for a slipping clutch. One way is to cruise up a fairly steep incline at 30mph, shift into 5th gear and once the clutch is fully engaged, then floor it and see if the RPMs seem to not rise in a linear fashion or something like that. I've never had a slipping clutch on my civic before so I don't know how to verify that. Maybe you could get a standalone tachometer or take it to the dealership and have them verify if the tachometer is working properly or not. I mean you could also have weak clutch springs which would cause slipping just as much as a worn pad so...

I don't know except for the fact that 1500rpm is far too low of an RPM for your car at 60mph.