new to manual learning how to drive vx - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
I have a federal VX, not sure if it's the same for a california version, but try this:
shift into 2nd at 5mph
shift into 3rd at 28(?)
shift into 4th at 38
shift into 5 at 48

if you have an owner's manual, check that for precise shift recommendations.
the idea is to avoid the high revs, but I hear it's good for the engine every once in a while.
The Automatic and Manual transmission civics have the exact same shift points when you compare the automatic's pre-programmed numbers and those listed for the Manual transmission in the owner's manual. The only difference is that the owner's manual suggest shifting into 5th gear at 48MPH while with the automatic, it's already in top gear at 32mph. It's a little disappointing
that they didn't put much thought into the shift points, however it would seem that if they brought the MPH shift points closer, the driver would have to shift too often.

In other words, the shift points in the owners manual are a complete joke as they "use" the same shift points whether it be a Civic CX or a Civic Si...

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I'm pretty sure that shift points in the manual are there to cheat the EPA fuel economy tests, not to provide optimal fuel economy in real driving.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I'm pretty sure that shift points in the manual are there to cheat the EPA fuel economy tests, not to provide optimal fuel economy in real driving.
Maybe I'm mistaken but that doesn't make any sense... If they wanted to cheat at the EPA fuel economy tests, then they would provide optimal fuel economy shift points.. Btw it also says that those numbers are from cruise, normal acceleration numbers are actually much higher.. Here are the numbers:
Normal Acceleration:
1st to 2nd 15mph, 2nd to 3rd 27mph, 3rd to 4th 39mph, 4th to 5th 53mph
When cruising:
1st to 2nd 9mph, 2nd to 3rd 20mph, 3rd to 4th 33mph, 4th to 5th 48mph

Again, those numbers are the same from '88-'05 Civic whether it's a Civic CX or a Civic Si..
Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Optimal fuel economy for EPA testing is not always equal to optimal fuel economy for real driving. Different cars are driven the same way for the EPA test, but are driven differently when drivers take the car on the road.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Maybe I'm mistaken but that doesn't make any sense... If they wanted to cheat at the EPA fuel economy tests, then they would provide optimal fuel economy shift points.. Btw it also says that those numbers are from cruise, normal acceleration numbers are actually much higher.. Here are the numbers:
Normal Acceleration:
1st to 2nd 15mph, 2nd to 3rd 27mph, 3rd to 4th 39mph, 4th to 5th 53mph
When cruising:
1st to 2nd 9mph, 2nd to 3rd 20mph, 3rd to 4th 33mph, 4th to 5th 48mph

Again, those numbers are the same from '88-'05 Civic whether it's a Civic CX or a Civic Si..
i shift similar if not exactly how he posted

if i dont have lean burn then i am missing some mpg? im unsure if it is a california edition but this car was bought in california and been here since
fobx530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Optimal fuel economy for EPA testing is not always equal to optimal fuel economy for real driving. Different cars are driven the same way for the EPA test, but are driven differently when drivers take the car on the road.
If you take hills out of the equation, then I fail to see how that would be true.. Like I said before, the shift points are exactly the same regardless of vehicle's trim. We all know that because of the short transmission in the Si, you'd technically have to shift more often and with the VX because of its valve train, you can shift at lower RPMs yet this is not reflected in the owner's manual.

The shift points in the manual aren't at RPM, they're at speed and if the only difference between the transmissions is the final drive, then having a number like "9mph" be applied to all vehicles would not be advantageous for MPG since an Si at 9mph in 1st gear is spinning a hell of a lot faster than a VX in 1st gear at 9mph... In the Si, it should already be in 2nd gear at like 5mph not 9mph if you're going for MPG.. Also instead of tacking on the 5th gear shift point after the 4th gear shift point, they should have moved the other shift points around to accommodate for the fact that the 5th gear is top gear and one does not have to wait until you're at 48mph to use top gear but can safely use it at 30mph.. This would certainly have helped for CAFE MPG numbers..
Old 04-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #27
Registered Member

How good is the aerodynamic of the VX for to have any gains with pulse and glide?

Is there an equation that needs to be taken into account?

Also if you're going to pulse and coast with engine off...isn't there a certain amount of fuel that will be used up, is it as efficient if not just leave it in neutral?

At the same time, using the clutch so much would it out weight the price of gas vs price of a new clutch?

I really want to get more MPG on the VX, during the summer I will be adding wheel skirts to the rear.

I also email ScanGauge, and they replied stating that their ScanGauge II will not work on my 1992 civic vx. Is this true or is the CSR dumb? What other alternative could I use besides the ScanGaugeII?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP
Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobx530 View Post
How good is the aerodynamic of the VX for to have any gains with pulse and glide?

Is there an equation that needs to be taken into account?

Also if you're going to pulse and coast with engine off...isn't there a certain amount of fuel that will be used up, is it as efficient if not just leave it in neutral?

At the same time, using the clutch so much would it out weight the price of gas vs price of a new clutch?

I really want to get more MPG on the VX, during the summer I will be adding wheel skirts to the rear.

I also email ScanGauge, and they replied stating that their ScanGauge II will not work on my 1992 civic vx. Is this true or is the CSR dumb? What other alternative could I use besides the ScanGaugeII?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP
These are more general questions which have been debated extensively through this site and other similar sites as well. IMO though unverified, pulse and glide may be a waste of time on the highway especially for the Federal VX but could be essential to good, efficient city driving like is the case with most vehicles. The only vehicles I've found to coast for a long time on the highway are not only very heavy but also very aerodynamic as well. Think Lexus LS400 or Buick Lesabre, though those vehicles are automatics and I really can't recommend pulse and glide on these vehicles at all.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #29
Registered Member

Is there a way for me to check if my car is California edition? or just it was bought in California thus it's a California edition?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #30
Registered Member

If the car was first sold in California, it's a California edition.. You should be able to find this out by looking up the VIN online. If you can, pull out the ECU and post a picture of it with the numbers on the sides or what not so we can look it up.