Newb Milelage Charts - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Newb Milelage Charts

Hey People,

So glad I found this forum. My friends and family get sick of hearing me tell them a Honda Civic VX (1993) had a smaller carbon footprint and is more efficient than their Prius. I thought I would post up tanks #3-#8 MPG, measured by dividing miles driven by gallons used.

#3: 275 mi. 6.7 gal, 41.2 MPG
#4: 323 mi. 8.4 gal, 38.5
#5: 366 mi. 9.7 gal, 38.0
#6: 387 mi. 8.7 gal, 45.0
#7: 328 mi. 8.0 gal, 41.0
#8: 325 mi. 7.7 gal, 42.0

I added things up and got this:

2004 miles, 49 gal. 41.0 MPG average

In my notes, now about a year old, I wrote "350 mile max. tank range." I was going from northern to southern cal. and mostly driving flat land. Always stay to the right and keep it 65-70 mph. Just cause I'm old and careful now. The great thing about the VX is that you can drop down to 3rd gear on the freeway and push along pretty good. I got it up to 95 in 4th to get away from a nutcase outside LA one night.

People have come up to me and made offers on the car more than once. Trades too. It has 170K miles and I'm the second owner. The old timer (88!) who sold me the car had $6400 in receipts from 2003 to 2009, when I bought it. I had to only install a clutch, now I'm looking at a new CAT and having some trouble finding one for the CA model.

I recorded 48mpg on one run around the LA basin off peak hours in no great hurry. 40 is normal commuting long and short here in San Diego. IACV is giving me trouble and throwing a code occasionally, but it resets when the ignition cycles.

You fanciers of this model would be jealous of the condition. The inside is flawless and he repainted it after some city dings and scratches. I'll post some pics.

Enjoying all your posts. Doug V.

doug victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

You're not getting as good of mileage as I think you should be getting. Your car could use a tuneup..

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

You're doing well, Doug. When you want to kick it up a notch, try 55-60 mph. That should get you high-40 mpg tanks.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

This guy should not be getting low 40s high 30s doing 65mph, no way... I get 50mpg in my Civic LX with a 1.6L, stock transmission that has a 4.058 final drive when driving 55mph.. The VX not only has an optimized engine but has a taller final drive in the transmission (3.25) which makes the engine spin slower at highway speeds. Like I said, this car needs a major service/tuneup...
Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

if you really want to talk about carbon footprint of the prius, talk batteries. the batteries use a lot of raw materials and energy to produce and they have to be replaced about every 5 years or so.

for some reason, this little factor isn't incorporated in the prius owners calcuations of carbon footprint

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
You're not getting as good of mileage as I think you should be getting. Your car could use a tuneup..
I was about to say im getting bonified 40mpg at 70mph looks like I am on par with a vx probably less polluting too seeing that the average vx is at 170k+ and probably needs work done, if thats the case I have put alot of effort into getting my car to that point yes, I agree tho I have seen way higher vx mpg on this board.. Carbon footprint is not/or maybe as important as heat neutrality which is the only factor that should be looked at while trying to reduce global warming, I actually came up with that term. I have also come up with the term hybrid effect to describe a wai better effect in the city vs hwy carbon credits are not necessarily what you may think they are I have proof not jim inhoffe and tea tardy proof. I mean REAL science. I have personally taken part in that process. I use my measument instrument, a laser temp sensor to take most of my readings..
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Banned

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...38&ft=1&f=1001
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0127134721.htm

pavement(flat black) in the sun is 10-15+ degrees warmer than in the shade
unfortunately for grass that difference is alot less

then think about how this works:
http://inventorspot.com/sodacan_solar_furnace
it is the same color as pavement
Therefor pavement is a culprit

I have been doing intensive research on this subject, as I've been a decided environmentalist since the age of 8(unpaid, getting paid ruins your righteousness!), it's really just becoming fun to disprove people left and right because I know so much about it

according to the links above air pollution is alot less the cause of global warming, hose links are proof that pavement and rooftops are a big factor possibly even up to 1/4-1/3 or more of the cause of global warming..but regardless, I have done an estimated small math formula to describe the warming rate of black surfaces vs other more relfective/white surface
1 foot of square foot of black pavement= 20 cubic feet of air volume warmed by 1 degree farenheit, based on the square footage I was doing this in(had a solar trap built in).. That is probably way off.. in combination with home heating and cars engines running hot... its not like I'm even trying to brow beat this into you guys, mores
Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
Banned

don't get me wrong I'm not saying we should be spewing pollutants into the air, I'm all for electric engines
Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
if you really want to talk about carbon footprint of the prius, talk batteries. the batteries use a lot of raw materials and energy to produce and they have to be replaced about every 5 years or so.

for some reason, this little factor isn't incorporated in the prius owners calcuations of carbon footprint
Batteries don't have to be replaced every 5 years... Prius taxis have been known to be working fine with their original batteries and 300K miles on the clock. Anyway those batteries are being recycled and each have a $200 bounty on them by the manufacturer. I'm not saying the Prius is particularly cleaner or dirtier but I do want to point out it isn't as bad as people often are led to believe (like that Hummer vs. Prius article).
Old 04-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Registered Member

there were a lot of dead prius' on craigslist a few years back. all they needed were batteries. maybe it has gotten better with time.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote