Newbie Questions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Newbie Questions

Howdy all, a few questions.... I read that "reformulated" gas or "oxygenated" gas such as ARCO sells has less energy in it compared to most of the other brand names. Does anyone know of or have any results of how mpg is affected by using one or the other? I guess the best way to test this theory is using a scan gauge while driving with a tank of each on my normal commute... Does anyone remember those old cadillac V8,6,4 engines that shut off up to 4 cylinders on the highway? With this in mind, is there a way to wire a simply wire a switch to a fuel injector so when I am on the highway, I can just shut off fuel and in theory increase my mpg? Thanks all, Darren.

2Phaast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

Welcome to GasSavers:

On the oxygenated gas, what you have heard about oxygenated fuel is correct. If you do some looking, you will find some older posts about the difference in mileage between "summer fuel" and "winter fuel". The difference is created because all of the fuel is oxygenated in the winter, to allow the fuel to burn better, for air quality.

I don't think ARCO sells gas that is substantially any different than anyone else. When they get to October through about March or April, they all are selling oxygenated fuel and the rest of the year they are not.

On the cylinder deactivation, their are a number of threads where this has been discussed. It is not merely a matter of deactivating the injector to a given cylinder, it's more involved than that, but it has been discussed, tried and so forth.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote