newby , can you help my Neon ? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
ELF
Registered Member

[QUOTE]
What year is your car? If it's 96 or newer, getting a ScanGauge for instant & trip MPG feedback will pay for itself many times over if you're serious about this.[QUOTE]

I agree, the scan gauge is my best mileage improver. tire pressure too! its free!
I know some people here don't think much of acetone but, some neon owners claim big mileage increases using it.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:42 AM   #12
Registered Member

My car is a 2000 model. 3 speed auto. (no overdrive )I will defenitly hit the gas station this afternoon and bump up the air pressure in the tires. Also try some aero mods. What about cutting off injectors. Running on 2 cylinders. Will running on 2 cylinders hurt my engine? I know I have to find the right 2 to keep balance. On the highway , 2 cylinders should be enough power to keep me cruising.

badgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:57 AM   #13
Registered Member

Please post some pics of the car, that will allow everyone to suggest aero mods !
86Celica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:22 AM   #14
Registered Member

hope the attachment works. This isn't my car but the silver is easier to see.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #15
Registered Member

Great, thanks. Good to see other people not working either. Here are some options. Front and rear wheel spoilers. Remove passenger side mirror. Partial grill block. Cover the top inches of the rear wheel openings (or get thinner tyres and cover the whole rear wheel openings). Put on moon disks.
Remove fog lights (weight reduction, and do you ever use them?).

For the rest, the car has quite good aerodynamics already.
86Celica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #16
Registered Member

what about unplugging a couple of the injectors ? Cylinder activation ?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #17
Registered Member

See this thread: http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....t=deactivation
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #18
Registered Member

Disconnecting 2 injectors is just going to make it run worse. If your stuck with the 3 speed automatic, without overdrive and without a lockup torque convertor, I'd recommend finding a way to replace it with something that has a 5 speed stick, or at least a overdrive, lockup torque convertor on the transmission. With what you have, it's going to be pretty tought, IMO, for you to see any improvement, of much significance.

The big challenge it sounds like you have is the car is running at a higher rpm than it really needs to and you don't have any direct coupling to the wheel's.

All of the aero suggestions are worth trying, they don't cost hardly anything, or anything if you use cardboard and duct tape. If you use green duct tape, it works better, it's more ergonomically appealing, I hear. If the duct tape/cardboard works, then you can get coroplast, or something equivalent, that will hold up in wetter condition's.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:36 AM   #19
Registered Member

I do have a lockup converter. It fills like I have an overdrive gear but I don't. Tried maxing out the tires Friday. With that and changing some of my driving habits I will see how it helps my FE. Thanks for the help so far guys. I may try some aero mods. I'm going to surf that section.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgett
I do have a lockup converter. It fills like I have an overdrive gear but I don't. Tried maxing out the tires Friday. With that and changing some of my driving habits I will see how it helps my FE. Thanks for the help so far guys. I may try some aero mods. I'm going to surf that section.
badgett, I looked at the picture of your car. I would cover all of the upper grille and also all of the lower opening. Your opening is very similar to mine. I have no cooling problems but did keep an eye on it till I was sure.

Suggestion. You could just use cardboard and duct tape to try this out. You can even cut an opening in the cardboard easily on the road if you think you need it. You can also peel the whole thing off if you want to. The tape will not damage your paint.

If it works for you(and it will) then find a more permanent and better looking blocking material. I can help you with that.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote