Nissan Maxima Gas Mileage Improvments? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Nissan Maxima Gas Mileage Improvments?

I'm new here, typing to you from Long Island, New York..
I drive a 2003 Nissan Maxima. 4speed automatic transmission. 255hp VQ35DE engine. 23 city, 28hwy estimated. Two days ago I installed a drfuelmax (www.drfuelmax.com) catalyst in my tank after receiving positive feedback on it from the nycmaximas.org forum. I also have an Injen CAI installed. Anything in particular I can do to make it sip a little less gas. Also, we're supposed to put 91+ in our car or else the engine knocks. The catalyst however is supposed to permit 87 without causing problems.

Length: 191.50 in. Width: 70.30 in.
Height: 56.70 in. Wheel Base: 108.30 in.
Curb Weight: 3239 lbs.

Fuel Tank Capacity: 18.50 gal.
EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Automatic: 20 mpg / 26 mpg
Manual: 21 mpg / 28 mpg
Range in Miles: (City/Highway)
Automatic: 370 mi. / 481 mi.
Manual: 388.5 mi. / 518 mi.

After a lot of stop and go driving today, some hwy and lots of rain, it's down to 25.9 for the day.

realmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmac
Two days ago I installed a drfuelmax
Hiya realmac

I wouldnt hold out too much hope for the fuelmax.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/fuelmax.html
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...8/fuelmax.html

On their site they used to claim it was a device patented by GM.

http://dodgedakotas.com/boards/gen/838-1.html
This product is not patened by General Motors Corporation. I do not know which GM they are talking about but it is not the worlds largest auto manufacture! With CAFE fuel requirements always increaseing all auto manufactures includeing General Motors Corp. would be useing this on their cars and trucks to get their fleet standard up if it worked. If General Motors Corp. had the patent then they would not let someone profit from it. They would only sell it through their network of dealers! When a dealership Tech.,Parts guy or APM can not find a part #, bullitien, or can not figure out what is wrong with a customers car they call me or one of my associates for help! One of my associates called General Motors Legal Department about this some time ago. General Motors Corp. does not hold the pattent on this device. Their is no science to back this companys claims. Their are no published studies in peer reviewed trade journals! Heck I have two huge 98 once speaker magnates I could strap to the fuel line. I think I am going to go to the FTC and see if they will go after tis company!!P.S. I suprised that they have not tried marketing this to reduce friction in your transmission and engine by 20%!!!

This magnet device was busted years ago.-sorry

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Hiya realmac

I wouldnt hold out too much hope for the fuelmax.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/fuelmax.html
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...8/fuelmax.html

On their site they used to claim it was a device patented by GM.

http://dodgedakotas.com/boards/gen/838-1.html
This product is not patened by General Motors Corporation. I do not know which GM they are talking about but it is not the worlds largest auto manufacture! With CAFE fuel requirements always increaseing all auto manufactures includeing General Motors Corp. would be useing this on their cars and trucks to get their fleet standard up if it worked. If General Motors Corp. had the patent then they would not let someone profit from it. They would only sell it through their network of dealers! When a dealership Tech.,Parts guy or APM can not find a part #, bullitien, or can not figure out what is wrong with a customers car they call me or one of my associates for help! One of my associates called General Motors Legal Department about this some time ago. General Motors Corp. does not hold the pattent on this device. Their is no science to back this companys claims. Their are no published studies in peer reviewed trade journals! Heck I have two huge 98 once speaker magnates I could strap to the fuel line. I think I am going to go to the FTC and see if they will go after tis company!!P.S. I suprised that they have not tried marketing this to reduce friction in your transmission and engine by 20%!!!

This magnet device was busted years ago.-sorry
The Dr. FuelMax product is different from the one you indicated. It uses ceramic beads as opposed to magnets.

http://www.drfuelmax.com/howdoesitwork.html
"The Dr. Fuel Max catalyst is a series of specially formulated ceramic beads consisting of nine 100% natural oxygen-active elemental ingredients, which are encased in a unique, seamless, thermally impervious, bullet-like forged metal casing. When inserted into the fuel tank, the core of the catalyst (ceramic beads) begins a chemical chain reaction where the beads initiate a discharge of oxygen-active ions with a positive ?D? electron charge, which starts by separating and breaking down the hydrogen carbons (HC). The HC as well as other dense, hard to burn molecules are converted into light, highly combustible molecules that when in contact with induced oxygen, will facilitate a phenomenal 99.86% fuel burning efficiency. This allows maximized combustion ratios, increased pedal response (acceleration/deceleration), reduction in braking distance, cooler oil temperatures while prolonging intervals between oil changes, cooler overall engine temperatures (greatly reducing the risk of thermal viscosity breakdown), overall stability of idle RPM range, and the gradual improvement of emissions by reducing the nitrogen oxide (NOx) levels up to 39.1% and carbon monoxide (CO) by up to 99.95%."
realmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
ooooohhhhhh magic beads encased in steel . . . that has to work!!!!!
According to the guy next door who sells to the diesel boating industry the magnets only help with old fuel that sits in tanks a long time i.e. on boats that get used on weekends with fuel tanks that get filled once in months.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmac
The Dr. FuelMax product is different from the one you indicated. It uses ceramic beads as opposed to magnets.
AHH . I apologise then.
The links that I followed indicated to me that it was the same company.

What I did find about that comapny was that its website has only been up for 6 months and its only registered for 1 year and that apart from his own site there is almost no other web presence for this product.

I think it will dissapear after some time.

On a technical side...

On their website in the FAQ it says

?Q. Soon after installation of the catalyst, my ?check engine? indicator light came on. Is this normal? What should I do?
A. Yes this is normal, and there is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. The newer the model of the automobile, the more likely that it would be equipped with various electric sensors that monitors with intricate details as to what is going on under the hood. These sensors can be at times excessively sensitive, and most likely even the slightest behavioral change in the way the car is running; especially if it is a foreign object.?

..which I find quite odd when comparing the page on how it works.

http://www.drfuelmax.com/howdoesitwork.html
?discharge of oxygen-active ions with a positive ?D? electron charge?
?will facilitate a phenomenal 99.86% fuel burning efficiency.?
?cooler oil temperatures?
?cooler overall engine temperatures?
?overall stability of idle RPM?
?reducing the nitrogen oxide (NOx) levels up to 39.1% and carbon monoxide (CO) by up to 99.95%.?

I just cant imagine any ECU lighting the engine check light when according to this list the engine would be running much better.

One other point which really bothers me is this one..
?reduction in braking distance,?

UMM ....
Old 10-18-2006, 06:13 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Sounds like metal contamination of the oxygen sensor and if your car won't go it will stop faster . . . Platinum catalyst solutions and metals have in the past been added to fuel to improve combustion efficiency - I never tried them however.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Registered Member

I used to get 22 mpg out of my 2.0 Jetta. Just by changing my driving habits (and upping the tire pressures from 32psi to 36psi) I managed to get 30 mpg out of mostly city driving (80%). I got a scan guage and I realized that i get 27 mpg on the way to school and 38 on the way back! So I changed my route on the way to school and I started getting 33mpg on the way there. I still dont know if Im using more fuel though, Im gonna check that today. So far this tank has been kinda dissappointing because Im averaging about 28mpg (Im aiming for HYPERMILAGE!).
Old 10-18-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Sounds like metal contamination of the oxygen sensor.
I agree , and I dont B-leave this would happen if the device worked as stated.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

Not only that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
I agree , and I dont B-leave this would happen if the device worked as stated.
Not only that, but it makes no mention in safety of the Catalytic Converter. I'm guessing that if you clog it up with metals, the CEL comes on, and you're in Open loop -- which could explain increased performance, but the emissions, I'm skeptical.

An independent, U.S./Canadian lab needs to test the product and its claims. I'd volunteer for a test, but I don't want to trash my emissions system.

More empirical evidence is required.

RH77
Old 10-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
Registered Member

In addition...

In addition, I've searched the Japan EPS abstract database, the City of Kamakura, EPA, and came up with NO evidence that this product works.

RH77