No more Civic....time to (re)start on the Camry - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

Civic94

I bought ( and returned ) a 98 Civic LX. I had a 93 Accord before the Camry Im driving now. I thought it wouldnt be that much of a size difference. Man was I wrong.
The main problem was the Camry ( that Ive had for 5 years ) has an arm rest that I drive with my right elbow on. The Civic didnt. I probably could have learned to drive differently.

The other problem was the leg room. I couldnt find a comfortable position at all on the 7 hour ride to Myrtle Beach ( or back to NoVA ).

The Civic had amazing mpg. 36 with me blazing down the highway ( when it hurts to drive you just want to get there ). The Camry gets 32 but Im working on that.

TheHolyCow

So the 2.2% also factors into distance traveled?
Hmmm. That is something to consider.

jprich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprich View Post
Civic94

I bought ( and returned ) a 98 Civic LX. I had a 93 Accord before the Camry Im driving now. I thought it wouldnt be that much of a size difference. Man was I wrong.
The main problem was the Camry ( that Ive had for 5 years ) has an arm rest that I drive with my right elbow on. The Civic didnt. I probably could have learned to drive differently.

The other problem was the leg room. I couldnt find a comfortable position at all on the 7 hour ride to Myrtle Beach ( or back to NoVA ).

The Civic had amazing mpg. 36 with me blazing down the highway ( when it hurts to drive you just want to get there ). The Camry gets 32 but Im working on that.

TheHolyCow

well i guess if your bigger that makes it worse. i did love the fact that in the camry i can spread my legs a bit wider, but not to the point where i would use that instead of the civic. I bought an EX center armrest to replace the stock one that didnt have anything (behind the shifter) to help with the shoulder comfort.

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:36 AM   #13
Registered Member

an old racing trick was to put 26" slicks on your truck to make the rear end "feel" bigger. I had 3.55s and went to 4.10s in my diff. I never did the 26" slicks because I knew I needed more gear for my truck. BTW my stock tires were 29.1".

this discussion is the same concept but in the opposite direction. I agree with doing it that way since you have a 3 speed. just remember that not only will your odo be off but so will your speedo. you will always be traveling faster than what it says. granted not by much.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprich View Post
Yup, any time you change your gear ratios (whether in the transmission, differential, or tire size) you change the accuracy of both the speedometer and odometer equally. They both work off the same sensor (or on older cars, the same cable).
Old 06-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #15
Registered Member

seafoam!

Hmm.
Now a question about Seafoam.
Ive seen that they say you shouldnt use it on high mileage cars. When I get home today the Camry will probably hit 181k.

I did a search and the closest mileage I saw for seafoam was 100k.

Would it be safe to use on the Camry?

jprich is offline   Reply With Quote