Not getting Estimated MPG - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #1

Not getting Estimated MPG

I have a 2013 Impreza Sport and I am under the estimated mpg (27-36 )of what I should be getting. I drive a lot of hwy milage and I would expect to be closer to the middle of the est mpg, however I am barely at the beginning.
My question is if anyone else is having this issue? Of course I am using fuelly with the true milage between tanks and not what my car computer states, although it seems to be close.

Skippybingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #2

Very few cars get the EPA estimated MPG. Those tests are not real world tests. My, new to me, 2006 Accord is 1.5 under the overall EPA average. But I'm seeing improvement after 4 fill ups. Highway driving helps get it up. I'm hoping for more improvement after I replace the cat conv this week, but I'm not holding my breath.

dtwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
BDC
Registered Member

Gaming the EPA ratings is a recent occurrence for most OEMs. Subaru has only recently gotten into the practice pioneered by GM, Ford, and Hyundai. Personally I would never have expected a Subaru to be able to average 36mpg on the highway, and it appears my expectations weren't far off.

If we've learned anything from the Fuelly forums (or Consumer Reports) over the past 1-2 years, it's that new car buyers need to approach EPA ratings with extreme pessimism, and then do the slightest bit of research to find out if the car they're looking at has any hope of meeting the estimates.
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #4

Thanks guys.

dtwjr

My last 2 cars were a Honda Civics, a 06 and 10.

They got great mileage, 33-34 per tank.

They EPA ratings were about the same as my new Suby, but I am not getting close to that. I am kind of upset with that too. I expect it to be at least 30-32. I'm lucky if I hit 28.

I would really like to know if this is just me or if other new Suby owners are getting the same. :\
Skippybingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

You can check here on this site. I compare all the time.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #6

http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/impreza/2013
Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Registered Member

Typically a vehicle in a break-in period shouldn't be driving at constant speeds so if you drive on the highway a lot you should always change your driving speed. This behavior is bad for MPGs but later on after 6000-8000 miles you should see better.

Also, driving close to the speed limit should help... driving at 60-65mph will return up to 30% better mileage than driving at 75-80mph.

2013 Mazda 3 GS-SKY 6MT (Current)
2015 Mazda 3 Sport GX 6MT (Lease return)
2013 Mazda 3 Sport SKY-SKY 6AT (Ex's daily driver - totalled)
2007 Toyota Matrix Base 5MT (Sold)
MatrixDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
BDC
Registered Member

You can blame break-in or driving habits or whatever you want, but many new cars (mostly from certain manufacturers) will just plain fail to reach the same MPG in relation to their EPA estimates than cars did just a few years ago.

The EPA changed their ratings in 2008 specifically to lower their estimates so that they would be more realistic for the majority of people who could not meet them at the time. Now only 5 years later, some OEMs have inflated their numbers under the new standard so much that even fewer people can meet the estimates for their new car.

For example: Only seven out of 43, or 16%, of 2013 Imprezas on Fuelly have met the EPA combined average (30mpg).

Compare that to, say, a 2012 Corolla. 37 out of 48 cars on Fuelly meet the EPA combined estimate of 29mpg, or 81%.

2012 Honda Civic: 93 out of 105 cars on Fuelly meet the EPA combined estimate of 31mpg, or 89%.

2012 Hyundai Elantra: Only 62 out of 176 2012 Elantras on Fuelly, or 35%, meet the EPA combined estimate of 32mpg -- and what's terrible is that the 32mpg figure is the new, lower estimate that Hyundai revised after everybody complained so much.
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #9

Hi, first of all, excuse my poor written english, my first language is french. I bought a Subaru XV corsstrek 2013 with a CVT transmission and Subaru publicity states that we should expect as you said a consumption of (7-36) but I get 17 mpg with a very gentle driving. I am very disapointed and I don't expect that it will change after break in like Subaru told me.
Quebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #10

BDC: nice break down. I hadn't gone that far in comparing various vehicles. I mainly just look at ones I own or am thinking of buying. Curious that Corollas and Civics run closest to EPA estimates. I've generally been pleased with my Camry's and Accords.