OBD1 version of ScanGauge? - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
Country: United States
OBD1 version of ScanGauge?

So, I checked out the ScanGauge website, and I see that it is only useful on OBD2 vehicles. Being as my GTi is an OBD1 beast, ScanGauge is useless to me.
Is there something out there that is as useful for us OBD1 types?
__________________

SpeedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,111
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
OBD1 isn't as much of a standard as OBD2. Even if there was a unit like scangauge it would need to be different for almost every make, something that isn't very cost effective, especially with OBD1 cars making their way to the junkyard more often than not anymore.

In short, no, there isn't.
__________________

__________________
- Kyle
dkjones96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_BEEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,831
I think there are several DIY versions if you are willing to do the work.

I have never used them as all my vehicles are obd2 but there are a few people that have done it floating around here.
__________________
Be the change you wish to see in the world
--Mahatma Gandhi



GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
Country: United States
Bummer. I've got too many other projects going on to take on building something like this.
lol
SpeedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,111
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKnight View Post
Bummer. I've got too many other projects going on to take on building something like this.
lol
You too huh?

They keep piling up! I almost can't keep up with the projects anymore. I've actually got some that I've got all the parts for, just haven't started them yet.
__________________
- Kyle
dkjones96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,624
Country: United States
Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
There's a link in my sig for a DIY fuel rate meter. It's no replacement for a ScanGauge but can give you useful information. However, the thread has links to other projects that will provide better information (for more effort and cost).

However, you may be able to use Ross-Tech Vag-Com for lots of data collection, if not MPG.
http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html
I'm not sure if they support pre-OBDII VWs, but I think they do.
__________________
This sig may return, some day.
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
However, you may be able to use Ross-Tech Vag-Com for lots of data collection, if not MPG.
http://ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html
I'm not sure if they support pre-OBDII VWs, but I think they do.
I looked at that, and the VAG-COM is mentioned A LOT on a couple of the VW boards I'm on. Where I couldn't tell if you can get an MPG indication, I was able to determine that it will indeed work on my car.
I'll have to wait for a little while, though... the full license and the cable will set me back $250. They do have a shareware version of the program and there's probably something out there on building a cable.
SpeedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 689
Country: United States
There's a kit you can buy to make a device called a MPGuino that will work on any fuel injected car with a speed sensor. I think the kit is about $40., but you have to assemble it yourself, unless you can find someone that is assembling them and selling them.
__________________
Hipermiler
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,624
Country: United States
Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
You cannot build your own Vag-Com cable. At least, there was no documentation on doing it or even on anyone's attempt a year ago when I wanted to. It's not just a cable that crosses a few wires and runs them through a resistor or two, it's a complex electronic device. The license for the software is the cable itself acting as a dongle, so if you make your own cable you won't be licensed for the software; IIRC, without a license it won't connect to the car.

There are all kinds of things you can customize on the MKV with a Vag-Com. I doubt your older car offers the same variety, but it probably still has some good stuff.

The software won't give you MPG, but it can give you logs in CSV format which you may be able to turn into MPG, either after the fact or by tailing the log* and feeding it live through your own software. With my car it offered pretty much all the standard OBDII data and I could probably have logged O2, MPH, and MAF to crunch into MPG; I don't know what data you'll be able to get.

*: I'm not sure I remember correctly if it logs by default in CSV or if I exported its proprietary logs to CSV.

Anyway, the data and customization it offered for the MKV are great and it's at least worth buying and re-selling later if you don't want to permanently part with the money. You can easily sell it for nearly as much as it sells new, and the end result is like renting it. If you buy it used you'll be able to sell it for the same price and you've only paid shipping in the end.
__________________
This sig may return, some day.
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 45
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
There's a kit you can buy to make a device called a MPGuino that will work on any fuel injected car with a speed sensor. I think the kit is about $40., but you have to assemble it yourself, unless you can find someone that is assembling them and selling them.
I'll have to look into this, and maybe build one when I get the time. I just took a "promotion" at work, so my "free time" just got shortened a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You cannot build your own Vag-Com cable.
SNAPS! Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
There are all kinds of things you can customize on the MKV with a Vag-Com. I doubt your older car offers the same variety, but it probably still has some good stuff.
All the V-Dubbers on the VW sites I'm on, be they in MkIII's, MkIV's, or MkV's swear by the VAG-COM system. It must do something amazing, even for MkIII's. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The software won't give you MPG, but it can give you logs in CSV format which you may be able to turn into MPG, either after the fact or by tailing the log* and feeding it live through your own software. With my car it offered pretty much all the standard OBDII data and I could probably have logged O2, MPH, and MAF to crunch into MPG; I don't know what data you'll be able to get.

*: I'm not sure I remember correctly if it logs by default in CSV or if I exported its proprietary logs to CSV.
I've no real need to see what my true real time MPGs are. The trip computer, which I've found is controlled by my fried Cruise Control Module, gives me a rough enough figure that I can use it to keep my wastful driving in check. I'm not beyond figuring it out myself every so often using Excel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Anyway, the data and customization it offered for the MKV are great and it's at least worth buying and re-selling later if you don't want to permanently part with the money. You can easily sell it for nearly as much as it sells new, and the end result is like renting it. If you buy it used you'll be able to sell it for the same price and you've only paid shipping in the end.
Good point. I think I'll look for a used one when I have the funds. Thanks for that advice!
__________________

SpeedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone scratched up my car!!! AMX General Discussion (Off-Topic) 2 06-07-2008 12:43 PM
Saturn TDI for S-Series cfg83 Diesels 14 10-02-2007 02:24 PM
Anyone have experience making their own solar panels? MetroMPG Electric and Solar powered 17 08-29-2007 06:43 PM
Kenwood KAC-PS401M popimp For Sale 1 07-30-2007 02:53 PM
12 V Solar Power GasSavers_James General Discussion (Off-Topic) 13 10-17-2006 08:37 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.