OBD2 tool - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2006, 12:31 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW
I wonder what sort of tests MetroMPG will come up with using his new logger? Any plans yet?
- It'll let me look more closely at things like my hot air intake.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #22
DRW
Registered Member

Thanks for posting the links. In the first link to the WAI test you said,"Why doesn't it show up in the results? Perhaps because:

The throttle is open slightly wider, and the effective load is higher. The ECU may be compensating by enriching the mixture."

There is a direct link between engine load and timing. As load increases the ecu will reduce timing. This could be why the WAI didn't work, you had to open the throttle more and that put you down on a lower timing level. So what's more efficient, a stoich mixture with high timing or a lean mixture with low timing? The answer lies in your datalogger.

What would be really cool is if your logger lets you analyze the data in a statistical way, like a 2 way ANOVA. That way you could plug in IAT on one axis and anything else on the other axis and see if there is any correlation. How about IAT vs. fuel trim? IAT vs. O2 readings? Or?

Old 10-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW
The answer lies in your datalogger.
You said it, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW
What would be really cool is if your logger lets you analyze the data in a statistical way, like a 2 way ANOVA.
Sorry. What the heck's ANOVA? Edumacate me please.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:17 PM   #24
DRW
Registered Member

ANalysis Of VAriance. It's a statistics term. It lets you see relationships between two variables even when the two variables are constantly varying.
Clear as mud?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #25
Registered Member

Makes sense.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:55 AM   #26
Registered Member

Stat Progs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW
ANalysis Of VAriance. It's a statistics term. It lets you see relationships between two variables even when the two variables are constantly varying.
Clear as mud?
All I've used in such an application is SPSS for stats. Is there recommended freeware out there that will run statistical applications?

RH77
Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 AM   #27
Registered Member

I'd love to have some SPSS freeware.

---

Got e-mail from the seller: unit shipped this AM air mail. Should have it in 7-14 days. The only unknown is customs fees. That's always hit & miss with international packages. Sometimes I get hit, sometimes I don't.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:00 AM   #28
Registered Member

Hi MetroMPG -¨Sometimes I get hit, sometimes I don't.¨

Consider yourself lucky.
Here every non EU package will get taxed , even gifts from relatives if the customs dept think the value is over $20., and because postage is added to this valu'ing method it means almost everything gets taxed.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #29
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
All I've used in such an application is SPSS for stats. Is there recommended freeware out there that will run statistical applications?

RH77
Not that I'm aware of. One of my loggers includes a neat graphing function where I can plug in any two variables and see where each datapoint lies. I find it helpful when looking for relationships between two variables as the datapoints tend to form clusters, lines or scatter. I tried to get a screenshot of it last night, but the log viewer doesn't seem to support it.

I have a feeling the new OBDII logger will give you plenty of data to crunch. Some sort of statistical tool can be useful if the data becomes overwhelming.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #30
Registered Member

Nerd alert update: OBD2 tool arrived. I'll hopefully give it a try this evening and report back.

I saw the same tool sell for $10 less on eBay this week ($45 shipped). So if it works, might be one to watch for.

EDIT: PS, didn't get hit with duty. Nice.