Observing other drivers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I'm hoping to get into a bike again so I can have a fun little thing to ride around. This winter I may just build one. I've got my eye on a few engines but they are limited since space requirements are an issue. I've got a friend with some flathead V8s I've thought about using.

My other optional engine is a B16A series engine. It's really gonna just depend on what mood I'm in at the time the thing starts getting built, if it does.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
Registered Member

Yup, Marvin gets wayyy better city mpg under somewhat "hard" acceleration, give him 2500 rpm and let the torque do the work, then lift off instantly at the speed limit, or soon enough to coast to next light or stop. It ain't the rate of acceleration so much as it's the time you hold it or the speed you go. I can get 23mpg city out of him if the traffic is co-operative (i.e. no long waits and not getting cut off every 5 seconds) driving in a fashion that might seem "hard" but granny drive him below 2000 rpm and he just wastes gas splashing tranny fluid around and gets 19 or 20.

Wile-E however is difficult, still got a bit of an intermittent dead/rough spot around 2000 rpm that makes things tricky.

I have been known to overtake and try to out drag people in the name of FE though and of preserving my vehicle... the situation for that is usually rolling country roads with an 80kph limit, and people that want to do 70... it's not that I'm impatient, it's just that Marvins TC lockup is bouncing on and off and I'm cooking the transmission and wasting gas at 70kph-ish. I need to drive nearer 80 with it fully locked up... or just loaf along at 60, but the revs are backed off so much I'm probably losing to TC slip, I believe lowest minimum lockup speed is his best steady state mpg point. In fact I think 300 miles of driving on vacation last year, in hilly country, with too much "slow" traffic is what finished his 200,000 mile transmission off.

Some tailgaters are just plain weird though. You'll move into the left lane because a turn is coming up... the guy coming up it will get right on your bumper, then you'll signal in plennnnty of time and he's still there and you think he must be turning too, maybe come to a stop and he's still there, and you turn, and see him set off and go straight... and you wonder why he didn't just go round you.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
Twice this week, I have been "blown around" after a red light. (Yes, I tend to pull away slowly, but not so slowly that it is obnoxious) Both times it was on a 2-lane road where nobody was in the other lane, but each time they had to pull back into the right lane to take an onramp.

Funny thing is that each time, these bozos wind up in front of me instead of behind me, but are still only going as fast as I was/am. They gained about 3 seconds, but wasted a lot of gas in the process.

Of course maybe they just think my car is SOOOOO cool that they want to see it from the side & front instead of from behind. Actually maybe I'm on to something there...

-BC
Lol! I've noticed that many times slow and steady "wins" the race. (Assuming there is a race to be had.) Many times the aggressive, weaving drivers have their front end so close to the car ahead of them that they can't see the big picture and wind up getting stuck behind some horrible traffic further ahead in the lane they are in.

Just getting the big picture so you can see what's going on ahead is huge.

I do love the visual regarding these drivers wanting to see your car from all sides!
Brontegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
'80s pop music discussion moved to: http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=11519

Back to the topic, yesterday I was on an empty road where there was a long passing zone. A Jeep Cherokee flew up behind me and slowed, despite there being NO oncoming traffic. That was the perfect passing situation, just change lanes, zoom around me, and get back in the lane. Instead, the action was wait behind me until there was a short passing zone with traffic ahead and make a difficult pass in a slow vehicle...
Old 10-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #15
Registered Member

He needed a little excitement in his life.
OldCorolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

Yeah man , exactly like that. Gophers I dont mind so much , its the deer that do that stuff the aggrivates the crap out of me.

OldCorolla is offline   Reply With Quote