Observing other drivers - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Observing other drivers

You know what I find entertaining? The ya-hoos in their gigantic 5 mpg trucks who see a red light that everyone is slowing down or stopping for. These freaky mammoths race ahead of the slowing traffic only to slam on the brakes. So getting ahead of a car or two apparently is worth a gallon or two of gas! lol

I was filling up yesterday next to a bohemoth of a vehicle where a man was filling up. He saw me with my receipt and calculator as I was computing gas mileage. He told me that he doesn't even bother anymore since his gas mileage sucks. He asked what my mpg was so I told him. He looked shocked. I told him that changing driving technique helped a lot so far and also mentioned this site (because you guys rock with the tips I get here). Oooh perhaps another gassavers recruit.

Brontegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
There are times I race around wasting gas. I like the V8 and the D is quicker than quite a few smaller vehicles out there. It might not have the horsepower to win a long race but since the flash stall on my torque converter puts the engine where it is making about 85% of peak torque I can launch way better than any other car I've owned. Those first gear downshifts from overdrive cruising at 35 sound and feel freaggin' great too. Oddly enough. I get 12.6 when driving nice a whole tank and I get 12.6 driving like a dick. So, I just drive like I feel like now. The last tank though, I can't explain that one.

You know what I've noticed driving around lately. There isn't any such thing as a normal Prius driver. They either go incredibly slow and impede traffic or they haul *** everywhere cutting people off and taking neighborhood streets to avoid lights.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

gas isnt enough expansive
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Twice this week, I have been "blown around" after a red light. (Yes, I tend to pull away slowly, but not so slowly that it is obnoxious) Both times it was on a 2-lane road where nobody was in the other lane, but each time they had to pull back into the right lane to take an onramp.

Funny thing is that each time, these bozos wind up in front of me instead of behind me, but are still only going as fast as I was/am. They gained about 3 seconds, but wasted a lot of gas in the process.

Of course maybe they just think my car is SOOOOO cool that they want to see it from the side & front instead of from behind. Actually maybe I'm on to something there...

-BC
Old 09-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Don't you see? By getting in front they "win". Yeah.
Yep they win the "Moron of the Moment Award"

Kinda like the "Flying Fickle Finger of Fate Award"

I coast past them at the light becasue "de be dummies witout a clue".

regards
gary
Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Personally, I'm very happy when people pass me (even if it's just before a light)...that means that they can't tailgate me.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

The ones that get me an when I'm on a 2 lane doing 5 under the limit in right lane and left is open and the "yahoo's" can see they will catch up to me and they still wait till there almost tailgating me to change lanes.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
You're lucky. Around here they tailgate and wait behind you for a minute before they realize there's a whole additional lane that they could use. I just can't understand why, if they can't stand going slow, they want to wait behind me. When I used to drive fast, I wouldn't slow for others, that just mean constant brake-gas-brake-gas...I went around them.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
...they pretty much have no situational awareness.
well said, and that could go for FAR more than just driving!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
There are times I race around wasting gas. I like the V8 and the D is quicker than quite a few smaller vehicles out there.
Yesterday I just had to race from traffic light to the next (untimed, red) just to be able to escape from the bus lane where I shouldn't normally be, but this was the only way to merge to the road I took (just after some traffic signs misguided me from the same road and I had to turn back and merge again... I love Budapest..). I'm pretty happy that Teresa (being a motorcycle with 50hp and <200kg) can accelerate better than most cars, even when I'm carefully using the highest possible gear

On the freeway I lately did a few pulses that are much faster than my usual 90 (at most 100) km/h (56-62mph) ones. On the previous tank I even did a few 130km/h (80mph) ones and still got a good tank - it seems that doing so before longer downhills makes the NICE-On time (=its fuel consumption) enough shorter on the same distance to (at least partly) make up for the extra taken by the longer, harder acceleration. And it's, I must admit, fun

On my last (albeit a short one, for I took Teresa to the mechanic for 40k maint yesterday) tank the max I did was ~120km/h (~75mph) and I stuck more to my usual 70-90s and I got my personal best (I picked a few more slopes to take with stopped engine, plus took a different route where I don't have to accelerate once and engine brake at the edge of the residential area so I can FAS through it - with good results).

edit: but what I wanted to say with it all - I'm still amazed amazing how much I can defy the common rule of driving at a steady speed to get much better results... it's just doing one thing differently as many of 'them'. Acceleration is not from the devil, it doesn't 'waste' energy, it's braking that must be avoided (I must admit it needs much anticipation in the city and I'm still far from having mastered it...)

alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote