cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #1112
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
Compaq888 -

I work in El Segundo.

CarloSW2
I have no idea where it is but you take too many freeways to get to your destination. Why not just take the 10 freeway, then 605 south then the 405. You're making a huge circle. If I was driving like that I'd be in the top 10. I find the straightest route to my location where I don't get stuck in traffic and the shortest distance possible.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:13 PM   #1113
DRW
Registered Member

I'm a bit jealous of you guys with the instant mpg readout. I have to wait until my weekly fillup to check my mpg.

So today is my weekly update to the 'Daily' update thread. I was pleased to see I got 36.4 mpg. I was late to work a couple days and drove 70-75 mph, so that dragged mpg down.

On the plus side, I wrote my first segment of code for my ecu. It changes the A/F ratio when I'm cruising in Lean Burn mode, and it's based on airflow. When I'm accellerating lightly the A/F ratio is slightly richer at about 16.5:1, during normal cruising A/F ratio is 16.8, and on light throttle it's about 17.4. I like the throttle response compared to having lean burn with one preset A/F ratio. Hopefully it'll make a noticeable difference.

I also found out my thermostat sticks open slightly. That's why it's been taking forever for my car to warm up in this cool weather. I hope to fix it this weekend.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:29 PM   #1114
Registered Member

Shouldn't your ratio get smaller with more throttle?

on an NA car 13.5:1 is really good.
16.5:1 is too lean. Stoich is 14.7
You don't want it too lean.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #1115
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Shouldn't your ratio get smaller with more throttle?

on an NA car 13.5:1 is really good.
16.5:1 is too lean. Stoich is 14.7
You don't want it too lean.
Well, I have an Apex SAFC in the dash of my car so I can make adjustments to the A/F ratio as I drive. I did a little experimenting by holding the speed steady while increasing and decreasing fuel. I also have an airflow meter on the dash. When I removed fuel the power dropped. I had to open the throttle more to hold my speed. When fuel was added, power went up. When it was set to 16.2 the car felt like it was bogging as I opened the throttle more during light accelleration, so I wanted a way for the car to make more power for a given ammount of airflow as the throttle was opened more.

I also felt that as the throttle was being reduced I could remove fuel, which reduced power without increasing manifold vacuum too much, since that would increase pumping losses.

That's the theory. I'll find out if it helps as I commute to work this week. I wouldn't mind other input on this. Should I start a new thread?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #1116
Supporting Member

Compaq888 -

Quote:
I have no idea where it is but you take too many freeways to get to your destination. Why not just take the 10 freeway, then 605 south then the 405. You're making a huge circle. If I was driving like that I'd be in the top 10. I find the straightest route to my location where I don't get stuck in traffic and the shortest distance possible.
My description misled you. I am on the 405 for basically 30 seconds before I exit. The 605 is one of the most accident prone freeways I have ever seen and it actually adds a few miles to my route. If I took the route you suggest, I would be adding way more miles to my commute. Here is a picture of what I mean (my route in red, your route in blue) :

Now, I could go through downtown LA or over the 405 hill, but it's too risky for traffic jams (and I hate those routes). The most straight line to work would be Rosemead South (which turns into Lakewood) all the way to the 105, but then I am at the mercy of too many stoplights. I do take Rosemead South to the 10. I don't count that on my MPG-to-work tests because I am trying to optimize my freeway runs.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
Old 10-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #1117
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83
Compaq888 -

My description misled you. I am on the 405 for basically 30 seconds before I exit. The 605 is one of the most accident prone freeways I have ever seen and it actually adds a few miles to my route. If I took the route you suggest, I would be adding way more miles to my commute. Here is a picture of what I mean (my route in red, your route in blue) :

Now, I could go through downtown LA or over the 405 hill, but it's too risky for traffic jams (and I hate those routes). The most straight line to work would be Rosemead South (which turns into Lakewood) all the way to the 105, but then I am at the mercy of too many stoplights. I do take Rosemead South to the 10. I don't count that on my MPG-to-work tests because I am trying to optimize my freeway runs.

CarloSW2
You're right. I was picturing something else in my mind. It's good that you take the 710 instead of the 110 because of the downtown. It looks to me like you have a pretty good route.

Due to the traffic on the freeway I take some freeway and I take some streets. So far it seems it gives me 42mpg.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:37 AM   #1118
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW
I'm a bit jealous of you guys with the instant mpg readout. I have to wait until my weekly fillup to check my mpg.

So today is my weekly update to the 'Daily' update thread. I was pleased to see I got 36.4 mpg. I was late to work a couple days and drove 70-75 mph, so that dragged mpg down.

On the plus side, I wrote my first segment of code for my ecu. It changes the A/F ratio when I'm cruising in Lean Burn mode, and it's based on airflow. When I'm accellerating lightly the A/F ratio is slightly richer at about 16.5:1, during normal cruising A/F ratio is 16.8, and on light throttle it's about 17.4. I like the throttle response compared to having lean burn with one preset A/F ratio. Hopefully it'll make a noticeable difference.

I also found out my thermostat sticks open slightly. That's why it's been taking forever for my car to warm up in this cool weather. I hope to fix it this weekend.
But YOU control your ECU! Would the MID work in your car? :

http://www.crxmpg.com/fedisplay.html

CarloSW2

Old 10-14-2006, 12:48 AM   #1119
Supporting Member

Compaq888 -

Quote:
You're right. I was picturing something else in my mind. It's good that you take the 710 instead of the 110 because of the downtown. It looks to me like you have a pretty good route.

Due to the traffic on the freeway I take some freeway and I take some streets. So far it seems it gives me 42mpg.
Going to/from work I live off of the radio traffic updates. If the 710 is jammed, I can keep going West until I hit the 110 South. Not my choice, but a decent backup when traffic permits.

But this route (and all routes) can collapse in bad weather. On the rainy day disasters, I will probably take the Rosemead South to 105 West route. I have already done it going home on the bad Friday commutes.

CarloSW2

Old 10-14-2006, 02:24 AM   #1120
Registered Member

I don't use the radio traffic reports to guide me. Maybe I should.