Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 114 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #1131
Registered Member

Went to pick up my cousin. SG2 reported 44.4mpg for the trip there and back. Hit WOT for like half a mile.

The SG2 has been calibrated.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:36 PM   #1132
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Went to pick up my cousin. SG2 reported 44.4mpg for the trip there and back. Hit WOT for like half a mile.

The SG2 has been calibrated.
Welcome to the club Compaq! I think you'll like what the SG can help you accomplish.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #1133
Registered Member

Today: 79.8 mpg (US), suburban/rural highway round trip (mostly rural) of 26 miles. 32 mph avg., 51 max. Pouring rain both directions, 55 F ambient. EBH 1 hr before the first start, 2nd start cold for the return leg.

(Edit: P&G almost the whole way, alternator unbelted.)

So far this tank I'm sitting at 85.8 over a total of 110 miles at an avg. speed of 25 mph, mostly sub/exurban & some rural driving.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #1134
Registered Member

The scangauge now reports 75mpg at 32mph while barely adding any throttle and keeping a constant speed.

The problem is with accelaration. It's a dog if I want to improve my numbers. What should I do to improve accelaration without hurting my mpg?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:33 PM   #1135
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
The problem is with accelaration. What should I do to improve accelaration without hurting my mpg?
A useful solution: avoid it as much as possible.

(I'm not being a smart ***.)

To avoid accelerating, you need to try as hard as possible to maintain the momentum you built up the last time you burned all that gas accelerating.

- Keep looking well ahead and try to time lights and traffic situations so you can keep moving when you get there.

- "Play the accordion" in heavy stop and go (or slow n go) traffic: you're just approaching the car ahead of you as he pulls away again. Let him go, maintain your speed, and you catch up to him next time he brakes. You try to drive at his average speed, but without the fluctuations. Yes, people will cut in the space you leave in front of you. No big deal.

- Don't accelerate any more than you need to.

- In other words, try as hard as you can to avoid using the brakes when possible. Brake dust = wasted fuel, wasted acceleration.

I'm sure others will chime in with advice....
Old 10-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #1136
Registered Member

I'm thinking of doing some weight reduction. Even a little bit will help or give me a placebo effect which in turn will make me drive more self conscious.

But the real killer is the air. I get the same mpg on the streets now as I do on the freeway. Some aero mods will clear that right up.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #1137
Registered Member

Weight will help a little, and so will the placebo effect

But don't ignore the brake dust. It's your enemy.

Nice to see you taking the FE bull by the horns!
Old 10-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #1138
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
A useful solution: avoid it as much as possible.

(I'm not being a smart ***.)

To avoid accelerating, you need to try as hard as possible to maintain the momentum you built up the last time you burned all that gas accelerating.

- Keep looking well ahead and try to time lights and traffic situations so you can keep moving when you get there.

- "Play the accordion" in heavy stop and go (or slow n go) traffic: you're just approaching the car ahead of you as he pulls away again. Let him go, maintain your speed, and you catch up to him next time he brakes. You try to drive at his average speed, but without the fluctuations. Yes, people will cut in the space you leave in front of you. No big deal.

- Don't accelerate any more than you need to.

- In other words, try as hard as you can to avoid using the brakes when possible. Brake dust = wasted fuel, wasted acceleration.

I'm sure others will chime in with advice....

This is what i've been doing lately. let them others trip the light while i'm crusing behind them not havong to touch the brake pedal.

what kind of acceleration do you mean? like when starting out? or once your rolling? i have my SG gauge set for rpm's so i know when i'm on teh gas any. i try to kepe rpm's constant and notice it change my mpg reading as well when it shoiw i'm acclerating but i can't tell except for the sg showing me.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #1139
Registered Member

I think I'll do some moderate accelaration and then put it in 5th with some light throttle.

Driving like a snail in all 5 gears isn't working out so good. I need to get into 5th asap without getting out of closed loop.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #1140
Registered Member

I oftentimes skip gears: 1, 2, 3, 5; or 1, 3, 5; or 1, 2, 4, 5; or 2,... if I do a rolling stop. Just depends on the traffic and terrain.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote