Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 131 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2006, 12:07 AM   #1301
Supporting Member

Hello -

This is not a personal best, but a comparison of the weather. The only major difference is that my warm air intake is online :

I did my usual Pulse and Glide (the mild kind with engine idling). I had good traffic tonight that wasn't too pushy. I think the WAI helped, but I don't have the extreme weather difference to really prove it for sure.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:11 AM   #1302
Registered Member

I completed a test run with my Geo (that was similar to MetroMPG's test) yesterday. These were the average MPGs (around 7 miles for each speed) in 5th gear with cruise control on (this was driving in rural Saskatchewan into a 15mph wind. Temperature at 26*F):

75 mph = 30 mpg
70 mph = 34 mpg
65 mph = 38 mpg
60 mph = 40 mpg
55 mph = 43 mpg
50 mph = 48 mpg
45 mph = 54 mpg
40 mph = 60 mpg
35 mph = 64 mpg
30 mph = 59 mpg

Just for comparison, when I turned the other direction to head back to the city, the ScanGauge displayed an average 76mpg @ 35mph with the less wind.

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #1303
Registered Member

Another tank record 34.35 MPG. Next step is to start looking at the timing and see if that will help.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #1304
Registered Member

I'm a little embarassed posting my not amazing gas mileage on here, but I'm proud of them anyways.

I managed 22 mpg for a 180 mile round trip, This is my best gasoline tank yet. I faced 10-15 mph perpendicular winds going both ways, which was definetly not helping the gas mileage. My goal is to start getting +30mpg highway, so as you can see, I have a ways to go.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:51 AM   #1305
Registered Member

We have had slush and snow for most of the past month here in Colorado. Have made a few runs testing front fender skirts for durability. Good weather for that but not much else. I have wrapped aluminum foil around my exhaust in the area of my O2 sensors. May help to keep in closed loop.

I was able to back up an earlier MPG run to Denver I made with front fender skirt on.

Current tank 55.1 for 366 miles.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:07 PM   #1306
FE nut

I'm off this week so all of my segments are of varying(sp?) lengths. I was doing mid 50's segments until tonight. Then it got totally awesome. I decided to try a mod I heard about some time ago that involves modifying the MAP sensor signal. My uncle, who has been a mechanic for several years(20+), told me this weekend that, at least with my Saturn anyway, that the MAP sensor is the primary thing that the ECU looks at when determining mixture and that the O2 sensor is the second line of defense. What I did was to take a 50,000 ohm potentiometer and put it in-line with the wire going to the ECU from the MAP sensor. I adjusted until the car was nearly un-driveable then backed off slightly. Since I had nearly 360 miles on this tank I figured it would be a good time to do a fill-up so it would be easier to keep track of the benefits of this mod. When I got to the station I had 362.1 miles and took 6.97 gallons. This was an overfill to the top of the filler as are all of my fillups. This figured to 51.951 mpg. The SG2 reported 50.8.
On the way home from the station I adjusted the pot. and started for home on the 6.3 mile trip. I used P&G for all it's worth. Here is where the mileage got stupidly high. By the time I got backed into my garage at home, the SG was reading 98.5 mpg It was showing 102 before I started backing into the garage but dropped by the time I maneuvered in past my sons car. I'm coming after you CO ZX2.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:48 AM   #1307
Registered Member

Larry sounds like you need to do a DIY write up with pic's.
Didn't you say that when you tried this before that the SG was affected so that the numbers where unreliable? Do you know how lean you are running it?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:39 AM   #1308
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
Larry sounds like you need to do a DIY write up with pic's.
Didn't you say that when you tried this before that the SG was affected so that the numbers where unreliable? Do you know how lean you are running it?
I hope the SG isn't lieing to me. I will have to wait until the next fill-up to see exactly what is going on. If the re-fill calculations prove that there is a significant increase, I will definitely do a write-up. I know there is some controversy over short fills but I may do a top-off in a couple of hundred miles or less. I'm not sure how lean it's running but I think that as long as I am very light on the throttle I should be ok. I read an article sometime ago that talks about combustion temps actually decrease when running lean, IE less fuel less heat. I'll see if i can dig that up because it kind of goes against everything I always heard. Pics could be an obstacle since all I have is the camera on my cell-phone. However, Santa did bring me quite a bit of cash this year...

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 12-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #1309
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I hope the SG isn't lieing to me. I will have to wait until the next fill-up to see exactly what is going on. If the re-fill calculations prove that there is a significant increase, I will definitely do a write-up. I know there is some controversy over short fills but I may do a top-off in a couple of hundred miles or less. I'm not sure how lean it's running but I think that as long as I am very light on the throttle I should be ok. I read an article sometime ago that talks about combustion temps actually decrease when running lean, IE less fuel less heat. I'll see if i can dig that up because it kind of goes against everything I always heard. Pics could be an obstacle since all I have is the camera on my cell-phone. However, Santa did bring me quite a bit of cash this year...
Why don't you try to hold out to at least 250 before the fill If the increase is that much it will show up pretty easily on your fuel gauge.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #1310
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
Why don't you try to hold out to at least 250 before the fill If the increase is that much it will show up pretty easily on your fuel gauge.
I'll give that a try. Hmm, maybe it's time for a road trip.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn