Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #1401
Registered Member

Nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
A nice hot/dry summery day
Nicer weather!

Not nice here. I eked out 61.0 mpg (US) on a round trip checking on my friends' house this afternoon:

combination sub/urban/rural route

r.t. distance: 17 km / 10.5 mi

avg spd: 21 mph

max spd: 46

weather: cold & windy -16C / 3F, snow covered roads.

2 hrs EBH & 25 mins 750watt 110v heater in the car

SG reports this tank is sitting at 61 mpg. It's half full.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #1402
FE nut

Carlos, one thing I noticed was that the temperature was about 6 degrees warmer according to your chart. Maybe that was what made this time better. Nice work by the way!

I had ~ -5F this morning. I didn't FAS(engine off, coasting in neutral) on the way to the wife's work and ended up with 39.7(5.8 miles). From there to my work I had 46.4(9.6 miles). This afternoon we got all the way to ~+3F and I had 47.2 on the way to pick up my wife and, from there to home, I ended up with 49.5(6.3 miles-slightly longer to avoid school bus traffic) by the time I got backed into the garage. In this arctic weather, I'm happy with those numbers.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #1403
Registered Member

Larry, when you report your daily FE chunks, do you reset the SG at each "destination", or just record the avg MPG at each one? In other words: is 49.5 your MPG for all of today's driving, or your MPG between your wife's work to home? Just curious.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #1404
FE nut

I reset at each destination. I should start recording the average trip numbers as well. I'm at work each day just long enough for the "today" mileage to reset so I could probably get the averages for both morning and afternoon commutes. The only thing that could mess that up is if I went somewhere at lunch.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 02-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #1405
Registered Member

That makes it difficult. What's the SG "daily" limit - 8 hrs?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #1406
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Ok let me try to explain what I ment there. On my normal commute there are a few hills that are long (1+ miles) and at quite a grade. If I am to hit the bottom of one of the hills in 5th gear at say 60mph even giving it more gas the speed will drop back to 50ish (even flooring it in 5th it cant even maintain speed) So the only choices are downshift and gain speed or give it more gas to keep it at 50. (speed limit is 65 here and the slow people are doing 70+) So really 50 is not very safe when you have 18 wheelers coming right up to your rear bumper with the highbeams on.

But if I hit the same hill in 5ht gear at 65 I can maintain it without any addional throttle. Worth it really just not to get run over but seem to help out on the gas usage too.

I know I know I really need to get myself a SuperMID. Until then I have to use my seat of the pants Dyno.
Jack, I have experienced the exact situation you are describing. For some time I have been fixing? it the same as you. I got a clue as I was climbing a hill and watching my instant MPG. Was not very good so thought 'how much worse can it be if I just floor it'. Affected it some but not greatly and after I accelerated and gained speed I was able to feather the throttle and see better MPG than I had ever seen on a hard pull in any gear. Since then, that's pretty much the way I go uphill. It's a good feeling when you come within sight of the summit and have enough speed to just shut it down, put 'er in neutral and go flying over the top using no fuel.

There may be better ways but I have not found them. Nice going, Jack.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #1407
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
That makes it difficult. What's the SG "daily" limit - 8 hrs?
It seems to be somewhere between 8 and 9 hours. Once in a blue moon, the "daily" trip doesn't reset.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #1408
Registered Member

I wonder if you went out at some point in the day and woke it up with the "home" button if it would reset the "day" timer.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #1409
FE nut

I'll give it a try tomorrow.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 02-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #1410
Registered Member

says in manual: the end of today requires vehicle to be off, the SG conected and the vehicle no be driven for 8-10 hours. you can reset at anytime by hitting reset button when in the trip mode.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote