Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 145 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #1441
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Z: when's your peak FE driving season? It's probably spring/fall, isn't it (not so hot that you have to run AC all the time?)

Awesome work with that Woo. WOOO!!
Should start next month. I didn't use the AC last year. Not planning to this year . I'm hardcore When the highs are above 90, around June, then you have to get creative to keep the IAT temps below 115. That's the point with the 626 that the FE starts going the otherway.

I've pulled out all the stops on the Daewoo-WOO(you can check the garage). I've only have two issue left: 1. Remove the AC and power steering belt for testing but the compressor pully is rusted and I can't budge it. 2. The idle is giving me fits it will not go lower than 900 rpm or .3 GPH with for 1.6l seems high. I've checked for vaccum leaks found one all the other look good but still can get it down around 600rpm.

I think this EPA might be like the metro's with all the aero work I should be at or above 65% over but I'm not even close. Me thinks that I better check the mileage. Maybe with the oversized sneakers it reading a bit low. I'll check that this weekend.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #1442
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Should start next month. I didn't use the AC last year. Not planning to this year . I'm hardcore When the highs are above 90, around June, then you have to get creative to keep the IAT temps below 115. That's the point with the 626 that the FE starts going the otherway.

I've pulled out all the stops on the Daewoo-WOO(you can check the garage). I've only have two issue left: 1. Remove the AC and power steering belt for testing but the compressor pully is rusted and I can't budge it. 2. The idle is giving me fits it will not go lower than 900 rpm or .3 GPH with for 1.6l seems high. I've checked for vaccum leaks found one all the other look good but still can get it down around 600rpm.

I think this EPA might be like the metro's with all the aero work I should be at or above 65% over but I'm not even close. Me thinks that I better check the mileage. Maybe with the oversized sneakers it reading a bit low. I'll check that this weekend.
This is just a wild guess based on how my Saturn acts: After I have done numerous glides by killing the engine with my injector kill switch, I have a high idle condition that I can't seem to get rid of. The only way I have found to correct it so far is to disconnect the battery cable for a several minutes. I would like to find a way to re-set the keep-alive memory in the ECU without having to disconnect the battery a reset my radio all the time.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #1443
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
This is just a wild guess based on how my Saturn acts: After I have done numerous glides by killing the engine with my injector kill switch, I have a high idle condition that I can't seem to get rid of. The only way I have found to correct it so far is to disconnect the battery cable for a several minutes. I would like to find a way to re-set the keep-alive memory in the ECU without having to disconnect the battery a reset my radio all the time.
No EOC for me I've got an automatic
Old 02-16-2007, 05:27 PM   #1444
Registered Member

Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
No EOC for me I've got an automatic
No need for frustration -- I EOC all the time in the Auto-Teg. The batt seems to have held-up and the starter will last as long as it wants. On high-speed Pulse/Glides you just have to rev-match back into D to save the clutch-packs.

RH77
Old 02-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #1445
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
No need for frustration -- I EOC all the time in the Auto-Teg. The batt seems to have held-up and the starter will last as long as it wants. On high-speed Pulse/Glides you just have to rev-match back into D to save the clutch-packs.

RH77
Tried it. Both the 626 and the Woo-woo don't like it. So it not something I'm going to use.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #1446
Supporting Member

diamondlarry -

Quote:
When I was trolling around on saturnfans.com, I remember reading that you can just pull the fuse that protects the PCM in order to reset it. On my SW2, there seem to be two fuses in the engine junction box for PCMs, "pcm i" and "pcm b" :

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...hp/photo/31866

Also, assuming that you know the "juice wire" for the PCM, you should be able to insert a switch there (right?). You'd want to do it in a way that would be safe for the PCM. It could also be a low-tech security system.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #1447
Registered Member

Saturn EOC high idle.

Quote:
I put a switch on my 2001 saturn SOHC fuel pump relay. That was simpler than four injector wires and the fuse was right by the console. I stuck wires soldered on to fuse legs into the fuse box and put a switch and inline fuse in the wire. It takes a few seconds to die at idle but just a blip of the throttle will kill it quickly. Anyway mine has high idle after EOC but as soon as I come to a complete stop it resets. As long as there is the slightest signal form the VSS it continues to high idle. My commute is about 30 miles round trip. It is uphill to work and down hill home. I managed 44.9 today going to work and 65.1 on the way home. There is a spot on the way home where I have peaked out over 70 mpg twice now. Obviously I have not put this kind of driving into a full tank yet but this EOC has been a lot of fun. I really like the way this saturn runs.

I am sure that with a small electric assist the homeward trip would be good mileage leg.

Ernie
Old 02-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #1448
DRW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Hah, so what were your ET's?
meh, not so good. My best was 14.1 @ 106mph. Conditions weren't good, the ground was damp and humidity was high. Plus the track was prepped with extra sticky VHT compound, which would've been good for traction except the return lanes hadn't been swept and had plenty of gravel on it. So the VHT stuck to my tires, and the gravel stuck to the VHT but nothing stuck to the track. My wheels looked like a pair of big whirling chocolate donuts with carmel sprinkles! mmmm...donuts... drool
I was hoping to see some improvement from the aero mods I've done this winter, but obviously this wasn't even close to an A-B test.

Re: resetting the pcm. On my car the pcm will reset after just ten seconds, while the radio takes about 15 seconds before it looses it's radio presets.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #1449
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
I put a switch on my 2001 saturn SOHC fuel pump relay. That was simpler than four injector wires and the fuse was right by the console. I stuck wires soldered on to fuse legs into the fuse box and put a switch and inline fuse in the wire. It takes a few seconds to die at idle but just a blip of the throttle will kill it quickly. Anyway mine has high idle after EOC but as soon as I come to a complete stop it resets. As long as there is the slightest signal form the VSS it continues to high idle. My commute is about 30 miles round trip. It is uphill to work and down hill home. I managed 44.9 today going to work and 65.1 on the way home. There is a spot on the way home where I have peaked out over 70 mpg twice now. Obviously I have not put this kind of driving into a full tank yet but this EOC has been a lot of fun. I really like the way this saturn runs.

I am sure that with a small electric assist the homeward trip would be good mileage leg.

Ernie
One of the reasons I didn't use this method was because of the fact that when you shut the fuel pump off, the injectors would continue cycling with no fuel going through them. Injectors get their lubrication from the fuel and running them "dry" might cause premature failure.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:53 AM   #1450
Registered Member

Quote:
One of the reasons I didn't use this method was because of the fact that when you shut the fuel pump off, the injectors would continue cycling with no fuel going through them. Injectors get their lubrication from the fuel and running them "dry" might cause premature failure.
A point to consider about the injectors. I'll leave it as it is for now.

You get very good mileage. I wish I knew the percentage the somender grooves contribute by themselves. If my head looked a little easier to pull I might try them. How much aeromod have you done to your car? Sorry if I missed it. I blocked the grill openings and removed the air dam. Both at the same time. I am just barely keeping cool on the way to work. The thermostat never opens on the way home.

I need to do a legitimate test on the air dam drag.

Ernie