Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #1481
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeUU View Post
Two questions:

1) Does the Super MID work on any OBDI car?
2) What distance traveled is considered acceptable for a fuel tank fill up? Due to driving changes the first 1/4 of this tank is taking forever , I want to top off and see what the numbers are, but am wondering if there is an there is an "accepted" minimum distance.

Thanks
Here's a thread on the subject. I think anything over 3 gallons is fine as long as you are recording all fills. It averages out in the long run.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #1482
Registered Member

Nice work Larry!

Looking at that last leg, I can picture it now: you saw how close you were to 60 and pulled out all the stops to bust out a killer last segment to put you over the top.

How far did you have to push it?

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #1483
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

How far did you have to push it?
Shhhhhh! Don't tell all of my secrets. Funny you would mention being so close. When I pulled into the lot on segment 8, I was at 59.9 and thought, "I would have to do something stupid to not make it now." I have changed my technique a little in the last couple of days. I was accelerating with a TPS reading of 15 to my target speed then I would start my glide. I have increased the acceleration rate to an average of 25. This allows me more time gliding with the engine off. Another thing that could have a minor effect is that I disconnected my idle speed control. This allows the engine to idle closer to 600 rpm's or below instead of the 950-1000 it was doing before.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #1484
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Thanks

zpiloto
Thanks for the link, I missed it during my search. I might fill today, I am finally past the 1/4 tank, that should be around 5 gallons. The suspense is killing me.....

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #1485
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Yes!

I have started getting good at EOC and it is paying off!! I did fill up (5.25 gal) and returned a 38 mpg tank!!! This is FUN. I am feeling confident enough to use it on the freeway during my commute!! Good stuff.

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:50 PM   #1486
Supporting Member

diamondlarry -

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
Shhhhhh! Don't tell all of my secrets. Funny you would mention being so close. When I pulled into the lot on segment 8, I was at 59.9 and thought, "I would have to do something stupid to not make it now." I have changed my technique a little in the last couple of days. I was accelerating with a TPS reading of 15 to my target speed then I would start my glide. I have increased the acceleration rate to an average of 25. This allows me more time gliding with the engine off. Another thing that could have a minor effect is that I disconnected my idle speed control. This allows the engine to idle closer to 600 rpm's or below instead of the 950-1000 it was doing before.
I have been staring under the hood of my Saturn for days now, and I can't find the idle speed control connector. Can you tell me where it is ?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #1487
FE nut

Can you see the TPS connector? If so, the idle speed contol connector is just below that and slightly closer to the firewall. Does that help any? If not, I will try to get some pictures tomorrow.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 02-22-2007, 04:28 PM   #1488
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
diamondlarry -

I have been staring under the hood of my Saturn for days now, and I can't find the idle speed control connector. Can you tell me where it is ?

CarloSW2

Look between the manifold and the firewall by the throttle valve(the thing that moves when you move the gas pedal).

There's two plugs, the higher one is the TPS, the lower one should be the idle speed motor. (if it starts throwing codes and accelerates funny then I got it backwards)

Anyway you have to unplug it WHILE the engine running and idling where you want it.

My wife has been driving the automatic like this for a few days now (in neutral when stopped), it is manageable so far.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #1489
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Look between the manifold and the firewall by the throttle valve(the thing that moves when you move the gas pedal).

There's two plugs, the higher one is the TPS, the lower one should be the idle speed motor. (if it starts throwing codes and accelerates funny then I got it backwards)

Anyway you have to unplug it WHILE the engine running and idling where you want it.

My wife has been driving the automatic like this for a few days now (in neutral when stopped), it is manageable so far.
Good point! Thanks, I forgot to mention that. The way I figured out which plug was which was by turning the ignition to run(I didn't start the engine) and stepped on the gas. The first connector I unplugged was the wrong one and the TPS remained at 0. The correct plug is very difficult to see.

Edit: The correct plug is the lower one.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 02-23-2007, 06:14 PM   #1490
Supporting Member

43.7 Mpg

Hello -

My car is getting an oil change and brake fix, so I drove my wife's 2003 Civic Coupe EX (auto tranny) to work today.

I didn't do any GasSaver driving techniques other than gentle driving because it's not my car. The following is what the ScanGauge read for the trip.

MPG : 43.7
Route : 10 West -> 710 South -> 105 West -> 405 South -> Exit Freeway
Miles : 28.5
MPH Avg: 49
MPH Max : 68
RPM Max : 2909
Gallons : 0.7

Net Elevation Change : ~210 feet drop

Weather : 58.5 degrees F, fair, 32% Humidity, 30.1 degrees F Dew Point
Time : ~11:30 AM to ~12:00 PM, ~30 minutes

Conclusions : I think that with Pulse and Glide (mild kind, engine running in neutral) on a hot dry day, I could move this car up to 50 MPG for this route.

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote