Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #311
XFi
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMetry
I like the new top 10 list based upon last 90 days. That will make it much easier to get my numbers up because my mileage used to be pretty low. Look out MetroMPG I have my eye on that #2 position.
I think we may be duking it out for a while before we catch Darin...well I would like to think I will give you a little trouble getting there.

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #312
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi
My fill up tonight was a 55.06mpg tank...
Wow, nice going! Here's hoping those tires and GeoMetry's cam vault the Metro alliance into the top 3 by summer's end. We've got a bit of a head start on the Hondas, but have to watch out for the "new" 5-speed cars coming up the pack.

XFI, about the alternator - if you had to take a guess, how much of an impact do you think it has? And I like your new saying "slower, lighter, farther".

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #313
XFi
Registered Member

Charging Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
XFI, about the alternator - if you had to take a guess, how much of an impact do you think it has?
I'm guessing about 3mpg? What would that be...about 5% or so?

It's really hard to tell without a scangauge and so many variables (engine off coasting, additives, spark plugs, wires, timing, air intakes, weight reduction etc.) I am definately not as scientific as you are when it comes to modifications...for that I appoligize. Others benefit more from a more scientific/proven approach.

How about your vehicle? How much does no alternator benefit you?

Old 06-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #314
Registered Member

I haven't tested it yet, but back of the napkin estimates put it around 3-5%. Same as you. Since I caught up on most of my work on the weekend (in preparation for the trip that doesn't start until NEXT weekend), I may have some time to do some controlled runs this week.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #315
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi
My fill up tonight was a 55.06mpg tank...
I really am counting on these to put me into the 60's. A tank or two will tell! The alternator disabling did not give me as much as I hoped for, but definately has put me into the mid to high 50's consistently.
Nice tank XFi!

I guess I'm up for the "Metro race" as well since I pulled off a 50 mpg last time - which I wasn't expecting to hit until summer. I'm reasonably certain that I'll hit 55 mpg this tank, but it's so hard to guesstimate. I'll hate it when winter comes - I'll be totally out of the running then.

I would have thought that your alternator mod would have yielded a higher percentage, but I guess it can't be too much different than keeping your accesories turned off. I've been keeping DRLs, radio, and the blower off 90% of them time lately and I think that may provide some improvement.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #316
Registered Member

I haven't posted much in this thread lately. Mostly because it is the same old thing. Trips to work are upper 68-71 MPG. Trips home are 61-64. The variation mainly comes from success at timing the lights. Average this tank (2 days) is 66+.On an unrelated note, I did have a first today. I removed the top for the drive home because there was nary a cloud in the sky and 80F. As I got close to home, I noticed the sun had disappeared. Then came the rain. I made it home slightly wet, but it wasn't bad at all. It is true that the faster you drive, the less wet you get. I forgot who posted that.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #317
*shrug*

I'm sposed to post here, but I dunno on what note, assuming everything is calibrated (which I'm sure it isn't, but the tank is too low now to go do a run just for the odometer stuff and I need to wait for the next tank to see if something is up with the injector size (190cc is sorta disputed sometimes, *shrug*)):

Best to school (yesterday): 50.3 MPG
Best home (forget): 46.6 MPG

*shrug* I dunno anything about these numbers really, I need to do some RPM range tests because something gives me the feeling my car strongly dislikes 1krpms all the time, but I dunno,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #318
XFi
Registered Member

Just a note: the new skinner tires roll soooo much farther! Took it out for a 'test lap' (40 miles) on rural roads to see how much I could engine off coast. Very little traffic so I could pulse and glide...added up the tenths as I went along and Coasted over 15 miles of it

I'm sure this won't add 15 miles to this gallon (had to accelerate more after constantly slowing), but I am going to do my best to keep this going as much as possible all tank long.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #319
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Best to school (yesterday): 50.3 MPG
Ah. the 50mpg mark. A true milestone!
budomove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #320
*shrug*

Don't worry, I have no idea how accurate these numbers are, Either way, I happen to have a spare new clutch, budomove.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote