Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 39 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #381
Registered Member

Yes I still have that transmission but it would not downshift into second so I decided that the larger wheels would be the way to go for that reason and because the 13" tires are so much easier to come by.

GeoMetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:32 AM   #382
Registered Member

Turned in a tank yesterday of 46.6 mpg. 11.3 gal. @ 526.6 miles. 90% hwy. I had a adult passenger with me and about 200 lbs. of tools and pump parts in the trunk of the Civic. Also ran the A/C for about 40 miles heading straight west into the afternoon sun with that HUGE Civic windsheild with 98F temps. Just could not get to the magical 50 mpg mark.

All that being said I had to make another run to Smith yesterday. I was solo on this run with the 200 lbs. of tools and pump parts in the trunk. No A/C and it was darn hot again in the 98F area again. This time the ScanGauge showed a soild 49.3 mpg ave. at about 212 miles for the round trip. I would have refilled the car and posted the hand calc. number in the gas log, but my station was closed. .

My gut is telling me I nailed a 50 mpg segment down pat. When I fill the Civic up I fill to the very top of the filler neck. Ive been doing this for several months now. So when I got back from this last trip to Arkansas I had only used 3 bars of the fuel gauge.

O-Well

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:57 AM   #383
Registered Member

I just posted my latest tank, another 66 MPG. My last seven tanks (starting when I got the RE 92's) have ranged from 64 to 67, averaging 65.67 over 2400 miles. Looks like I have hit the wall. At least I finally hit the 60% over EPA mark.Before the RE 92's my best tank was 60.60, 58.88, 56.94 and 54.41. True, the temps were on average 20F cooler and the winter fuel plays a role in the lower FE, but I suspect that the tires had the most influence on the FE gains.The best way to isolate the effect of the tires would be to look at the last tank with the old tires and the first tank with the new tires. The week over week temp in April wasn't that large and I was still on the Winter fuel at the time. So 64.649-60.607 = 4.042 MPG. I think this is a close approximation of the increase due to the new wheels and tires. The subsequent gains to 65-66 MPG tanks is probably due to summer fuel, warmer temps and tire break-in.And as I have mentioned before, the tires have broken very nicely and now have better traction than the previous tires. It was a win-win for me.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:19 AM   #384
Registered Member

and people said me getting 30mpg thanks to my tires is an exaggeration

I'm not going to get anymore 30mpg tanks, I worked very hard for that and I think it was a fluke. I think now I'll be making 29mpg tanks. Still 5mpg over stock is good.

Wait till I get some taller tires, then 30 will be a norm.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #385
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
and people said me getting 30mpg thanks to my tires is an exaggeration
it is. its based off percentages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Still 5mpg over stock is good.
it is, definitely.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #386
*shrug*

I need to put some miles on my car, grr. I should install some rear seats so I could take the family to the shore just to put miles on the car, I wanna know!

Tomorrow I might so I MPG vs Speed graph.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #387
Registered Member

Nice numbers everyone! Congrats to GeoMetry and XFi for great tanks!

I find it funny how Dan gets "depressed" over a 67 mpg tank (but I know how it feels when you're expecting more)! lol

I don't think my current tank is going to be any record-breaker. It might, but I'm going to be hovering in the 48-51 mpg zone still. 500 km on the tank and the needle's just under 1/2 tank (same as last tank).

I thought temperatures were going to soar for this tank, but it's been so cloudy and rainy lately that my temp average is only 1/2 a degree over the last tank's average temp (15.9?C).
Old 06-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #388
XFi
Registered Member

I drove up to the Poconos yesterday to pick up an older 'color keyed' bumper so I can relocate my license plate higher. Plan to side exit my exhaust so I can put a rear tray slanting up on an angle (have to cut my spare tire area).

Anyway, I was anxious to see the Highway MPG difference so I filled up at a half a tank again. 240.5mi/3.961gal = 60.72mpg. Was able to still obtain 60mpg with well over 1/2 of the fuel usage being highway miles. Looks like I may be able to consistently get 60 or better.

Funny how, in the past, I looked forward to Highway mileage...now with coasting as much as possible I look forward to lower speeds and rolling hills!

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #389
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi
I drove up to the Poconos yesterday to pick up an older 'color keyed' bumper so I can relocate my license plate higher. Plan to side exit my exhaust so I can put a rear tray slanting up on an angle (have to cut my spare tire area).

Anyway, I was anxious to see the Highway MPG difference so I filled up at a half a tank again. 240.5mi/3.961gal = 60.72mpg. Was able to still obtain 60mpg with well over 1/2 of the fuel usage being highway miles. Looks like I may be able to consistently get 60 or better.

Funny how, in the past, I looked forward to Highway mileage...now with coasting as much as possible I look forward to lower speeds and rolling hills!
Yikes a trip to the Poconos on race weekend. That could have been very bad. I live not far from the race track so we are sure to stay home Friday to Monday for races.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #390
XFi
Registered Member

It was actually Slatington...up the turnpike to Mahoning Valley exit then about another 20 minutes. I generally consider Pocono's as anything above Allentown (sorry not very accurate).

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote