Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 42 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-16-2006, 05:36 AM   #411
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
No it's mixed. Average speed on a tank of gas is 30-35 MPH. I have yet to make a highway run and need to plan a long trip just to see what the numbers would be. I want to try and get 650 miles out of a tank. I think it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 41-42 MPG with the areo mods I've completed. When I started this my original goal was for 40 mixed and 45 highway so I'm getting close.
I still don't know how you do it. you have an automatic and I pretty much have the same aero mods as you and I'm only getting around 30mpg. On the freeway 45 is highly possible.

Could you explain to me how you coast with engine off on the street. The procedure how you shut the car and etc...

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #412
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I still don't know how you do it. you have an automatic and I pretty much have the same aero mods as you and I'm only getting around 30mpg. On the freeway 45 is highly possible.

Could you explain to me how you coast with engine off on the street. The procedure how you shut the car and etc...
My secret is tire pressure at 34 psi. Well it driving technique. Like you said we have the same mods. It been said before and I know your short on cash but without some kind of instantanous feedback on fuel use it really tough and will take twice as long to figure something out. I would save cash for the superMID or scangauge before I spent money on any other mod. Driving technique will net you the best improvement for the money. I completly changed my commute and the route I normal drive because of it.

I don't EOC too much because of the automatic(scared I mess something up) Most of the time it when coasting to a stop. Out of the 514 miles only 77 miles was EOC. Some guys on here are almost 50% EOC. I'm either under load or coasting( with or without the engine on) and engine off at the lights.

That being said basjoos is my hero(except for the caulk. Might want to try Scotch tape. It works well for me). He's posting some incredible number without any instrumentation. But he is the exception and I think that might be mostly highway, but still incredible non the less.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #413
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I rolled into a parking space a couple of days ago while turning and coasting and shut off the engine just before I had to stop . . . . forget about running the xB without the power steering - couldn't budge it with one hand with the engine off, even while moving.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #414
Registered Member

Ouch! Yeah, no power steering on a vehicle that should have it is not good! My Metro doesn't have PS, but my "stupid" moment was pulling into my parking spot while coasting. I shut of my engine, but instead of just being in ACC I turned the ignition all the way to LOCK and pulled out my key! My brain was really somewhere else.

Needless to say my steering locked and I had to brake to a sudden halt to remedy the situation...
Old 06-16-2006, 02:22 PM   #415
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
Ouch! Yeah, no power steering on a vehicle that should have it is not good! My Metro doesn't have PS, but my "stupid" moment was pulling into my parking spot while coasting. I shut of my engine, but instead of just being in ACC I turned the ignition all the way to LOCK and pulled out my key! My brain was really somewhere else.

Needless to say my steering locked and I had to brake to a sudden halt to remedy the situation...
95Metro what's that picture of in your avatar? Is that a super stealth FE enhancement to create more back pressure?
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:23 PM   #416
*shrug*

Looks like a cigarette exhaust to me.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #417
Registered Member

It's some sort of stupid resonator the original owner put on. It's all rusted to hell and, yes, seems to be plugged enough to be creating backpressure rather than relieving it. It's also leaking at various points and makes the infernal buzzing noise that I've grown pretty used to.

This is why I was debating over an exhaust or the MID. The MID wins for the moment, mostly because it's cheaper and can get it sooner.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #418
Registered Member

Just posted a tank. 487.4 miles @ 9.7 gal. for ( drum roll ) 50.2 mpg. The southern winds the last two days have been killing me. This morning I did 54.4 for the trip in. The ScanGauge seems to be spot on.

I knew the car had it in it. Just dont know how much of me I have to get it. This has required some really slow, boring, exhausting driving to get to this point. The car is much more fun around redline and EPA ave's.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #419
Registered Member

Nice tank, psy!
Old 06-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #420
*shrug*

YA RLY!

I was just telling jared the other day (or was it today), that I would love to have a 1.5 version of the r18, it'd get ridic mileage. There's nothing wrong with the r18, just too much for me,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote